• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Book 3: Scouts

There isn't one. Its a quick and dirty set of rules for gnerating the basics of a sytem, mainly for placing the mainworld, belts and GG, with some basic (nonuwp) data about the other planets. It's based off of Jump shadows and orbits - loosly defined. It's explicitly not a detailed system generation which will be in another book.

I stand corrected. I said worlds when I meant System generation.

As for the Sample Character... starting age of 16, age at the end of second term is 28?! That thing is full of bugs. A sample character generation is supposed to make it easier this was one where I stopped caring in a couple paragraphs. The character took injuries left and right without undergoing any medical care. The list goes on.

There is a certain logic to 14 for rogues and drifters, another that might fit the concept of early beginnings is Noble.

I have vented before about the chargen section of scouts, I am deeply unsatisfied with the tables, and the example. I wish the crippled wreck of a scout luck in not finding a grave right quick if he goes after well connected mercenaries and pirates.

I have vented before about the chargen section of scouts, I am deeply unsatisfied with the tables, and the example. I wish the crippled wreck of a scout luck in not finding a grave right quick if he goes after well connected mercenaries and pirates.

By tables do you mean the Event and Injury tables? I run an "Iron Man" game so the injury tables don't come into play very often. If you blow your survival roll, you get to make a new character.

Also, I share your feelings about the character generation example, but maybe not the intensity. The starting age of 16 without any explanation really bugs me though.

Went through the book and found a number of "don't like this" elements:

a) Scattered equipment

Why did they have to hide the survival packs in another chapter than the rest of the gear?

b) New race for no good reason, New PseudoBio Bot

A new race is introduced in the chapter detailing the Scout base "just because we can". With dozends of minor races to choose from, why a new one? And IF a new one, than what about more details

The Pseudo-Bio robot introduced in the same chapter is another "WTF?" So far the beasts have been labeled "lab experiment" in Traveller. Why shift them down to "in the field, on a third rate base"?

c) The "not so modular" Scout

The ship is a waste of pages. With every second page telling me that this "was a failed craft" and "fails in this role" what am I supposed to do with it? With most conventional cutter modules not useabel and the special ones needing work to install the craft offers nothing new, nothing "sexy". They could have taken a Type A2 (200dton, J2) and said "The Scouts use variants of this as cheap survey craft"... and get a better/more interesting set of ships on half the pagecount.

OR they could have designed a useful modular scout, dropped some "a second try after the 150dton failed" and some "remains rare due to high costs and not being as effective as hoped for" but still make the ship useful/allow players to customize it

d) The Art

For years I believed the Art used in Shadowrun III was the rock-bottom of what a professional RPG book would use. With the art in the last three Traveller supplements Laubenstein and Prescot have gotten serious competition.

e) No Donosev

Why is the Donosev missing?

b) New race for no good reason, New PseudoBio Bot

Actually both the aliens are traveller races, just obscure ones.

The Bot is a seeeecret, and not of the IISS. An open plot hook.

e) No Donosev

Why is the Donosev missing?

We suspect it is in hiding following a failed romance.

The Modular ship is what it is: it uses deployment modules, not convenient modules. As to the fluff text, just an attempt to put a bit of history and character into the design. Insert your own if you don't like it, I guess:

"The FX101, a revolutionary design by Remulak-Lamaar, has been a complete success from first deployment, meeting and exceeding most of its design requirements in initial trials. Many scouts have resigned rather than serve in the older vessels. "
;) ;)

c) The "not so modular" Scout

The ship is a waste of pages. With every second page telling me that this "was a failed craft" and "fails in this role" what am I supposed to do with it?

I suppose assign it to a retired Scout. Sounds like it has character, although I wonder if perhaps its role might be better suited to... other things than officially intended.

I suppose assign it to a retired Scout. Sounds like it has character, although I wonder if perhaps its role might be better suited to... other things than officially intended.

Yeah, the hull + basic exploration module is the one my players have. Of course, they're still in the scouts.

......and yes, it makes a heck of a spookboat.

Last edited:
One of them is noted by name - Llellewlowy (Dandelions) ..., the other is the Big hexapodod with the horn that generally is portrayed as a Medic. I forget it actual name, and am at work.

Virushi?

The one I believe the original poster was referring to is on page 43. The penguin guy. "K'Kaark is a member of an avian descended non-human minor race... superficial resemblance to earthly penguins.."

Virushi?

The one I believe the original poster was referring to is on page 43. The penguin guy. "K'Kaark is a member of an avian descended non-human minor race... superficial resemblance to earthly penguins.."

Virushi. Yes. Thats the one.

Actually, I forgot about the Pinguinoid. Okay, point, they're new...and undetailed...and one of quite a few characters.....but at least they don't wear santy claus hats....;)

Back