• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Comment on Clement Sector

Murph

SOC-14 1K
I have the books for the Sector, and I find it a well made product. The Zimm drive is my only quibble, but I find that the rest is well thought out. I think that this is an excellent product for those who want something different. It is certainly a "small ship" Universe. I could easily see myself running my variant 2300/CT game in this universe. The background history is pretty well constructed, and they have a very coherent setting for the most part.

Again my only quibble is the Zimm drive. I would have stuck with the standard Traveller/High Guard convention that since most planets are tech "A" and "B" then they have not developed the TL 12 (C) level Jump 3 drive. This would have worked just as well I suspect. Again it is their sandbox, so they make the rules.

I like how the planets are pretty uniform in tech level, I find that this is more "realistic" than Traveller where you have tech 7 planets with Ancient sites, Naval bases, Scout bases, etc, but have a 1970's level of technology. But with the whole Imperium to populate and develop things like that happen. Having a single sector to work with certainly allows a much better control of things, so if you have an tainted atmosphere or one of the exotics you do not have a tech level of 3.

While I have not used the game system as recommended, I am sure it would work well. I think with the date of 2342, the tech levels work well, with Cascadia and Chennai being the only tech level "C" worlds in the whole sector. Although I might quibble that Hub should also be tech level "C" since it was the first settled, and most settlers and tech would have come through there first.

So as I said above, this would probably be an excellent starter sector for many a campaign which wants something "new" I will be taking a further look at the sector and the products made for the sector.

I have spent the last couple of days re-reading the latest version of the Sector book, and have no reason to change my opinion, this is a very solid bit of work. I would (and have) recently recommended it to my buddies who still run Traveller. I can see elements of 2300AD in it, and this makes it just more exciting. Plus there is just so much more to explore. I can see the potential for this sector.

Now I would like to see some short adventures like the GDW, FASA, and Gamelord books where there are two short adventures per book, which I think would be good introductory adventures for players new to the sector.

The production values are high as is the artwork. This is purely a nitpick on my part, but I would dearly love to see what the great William H. Keith could do for both artwork and adventures in this sector. After all he is the one who set the look and feel of the early classic traveller. Plus he is one heck of a nice guy.

Back