• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Consolidated T4 Errata

DonM

Marquis
I've put together a first release of Consolidated T4 Errata.

Download at http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/pdfs/ConsolidatedT4Errata.pdf

I am also preparing a zip of the various related files: QSDS and SSDS (and the related big hulls file), the Definitive Sensor Rules, corrected First Survey Data, FF&S2 Equations and FF&S2 Energy Equations files. The goal is that these would be available on the T4 CD when released by Marc.

So please check out the errata document!

Last edited:
There's a canon conflict in the M0 timeline, but that comes from a clash between GT and T20 canon, so probably not a T4 errata as such.

It should be mentioned, at least. And Marc should make a decision on which one to go with... (Tho' it can thus be said that GT's divergence point is in M0... ;))

It should be mentioned, at least. And Marc should make a decision on which one to go with... (Tho' it can thus be said that GT's divergence point is in M0... ;))

If you look at Don's integrated timeline http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/pdfs/TravellerIntegratedTimeline.pdf under 96 it stands out like a sore thumb. The conflict itself is however mostly relatively minor (in 1105 games). But if you happen to be running an M0 game in the Domain of Gateway, it becomes massive.

If you look at Don's integrated timeline http://dmckinne.winterwar.org/pdfs/TravellerIntegratedTimeline.pdf under 96 it stands out like a sore thumb. The conflict itself is however mostly relatively minor (in 1105 games). But if you happen to be running an M0 game in the Domain of Gateway, it becomes massive.

Ok, so the Luriani War is a canon clash between T20 and GT; it's not a significant clash for either in their own timelines, but it causes problems for M0 games. What's probably needed is to write the definitive Luriani War details. I can confirm it should NOT be a difference between T20 and GT.

"96 Luriani War ends. A ceasefire is signed between the Protectorate and the Third Imperium. Humaniti, SJG, 2003, p. 104.

96 The Luriani Protectorate accepts unconditional annexation by the Imperium. Gateway to Destiny, QLI, 2004, p. 13."​

What's the conflict? First there's a ceasefire, then negotiations, then the Protectorate accepts annexation.

Hans

"96 Luriani War ends. A ceasefire is signed between the Protectorate and the Third Imperium. Humaniti, SJG, 2003, p. 104.

96 The Luriani Protectorate accepts unconditional annexation by the Imperium. Gateway to Destiny, QLI, 2004, p. 13."​

What's the conflict? First there's a ceasefire, then negotiations, then the Protectorate accepts annexation.

Hans

"During the resulting Luriani War (93-96). the Protectorate forces proved they had lost none of their flair for three dimensional warfare. They inflicted several sharp defeats on Imperial forces and eventually led to a cease-fire on terms very favorable to the Luriani. Despite the face-saving settlement, the Luriani War left a legacy of mistrust. Tensions between the Protectorate and Imperium remained high for many decades after the war." (GT:H p104-105)

Because the text in GT humaniti makes it clear this isn't what happened :) As Don says its minor (insignificantly so) in either GT or T20, it only causes problems in M0. It just happens that were I set my games :)

Ok, so the Luriani War is a canon clash between T20 and GT; it's not a significant clash for either in their own timelines, but it causes problems for M0 games. What's probably needed is to write the definitive Luriani War details. I can confirm it should NOT be a difference between T20 and GT.

LOL funny you should say that http://www.downport.com/amv/Stories/01 A Most Unfortunate War.pdf And http://www.downport.com/amv/Stories/00 Bad Things Happen.pdf
(very non-canon, but based on my games over the past ten years)

Last edited:
"During the resulting Luriani War (93-96). the Protectorate forces proved they had lost none of their flair for three dimensional warfare. They inflicted several sharp defeats on Imperial forces and eventually led to a cease-fire on terms very favorable to the Luriani. Despite the face-saving settlement, the Luriani War left a legacy of mistrust. Tensions between the Protectorate and Imperium remained high for many decades after the war." (GT:H p104-105)

Because the text in GT humaniti makes it clear this isn't what happened :) As Don says its minor (insignificantly so) in either GT or T20, it only causes problems in M0. It just happens that were I set my games :)

That's different. Yes, that's definitely a canon conflict. Based entirely on your quotes, my first idea would be to retcon the date from Gateway to 196. That opens up a window for those "many decades" of high tension. That's assuming there is no other information available that contradicts it.

Hans

That's different. Yes, that's definitely a canon conflict. Based entirely on your quotes, my first idea would be to retcon the date from Gateway to 196. That opens up a window for those "many decades" of high tension. That's assuming there is no other information available that contradicts it.

Hans

GT:H actually goes into some detail

"With the end of the Luriani War, Emperor Artemsus appointed an Imperial-born Verasti Dtareen, Duke Sirean of Dirir, as the new Archduke of Gateway (Archduke Ishargi having been killed at Rurur). Sirean chose to concentrate his efforts on incorporating the rimward portions of Ley sector, while attempting to repair relations with the Protectorate. This policy bore fruit by 162, when Archduke Acla reopened talks about incorporation amid the brewing Julian War. With memories of the Luriani War fading, securing the rimward flank of Antares had become a matter of some urgency."

"Still, these negotiations proceeded slowly, yielding no positive results by the outbreak of the Julian War in 175. The Protectorate chose to remain neutral until the Star Legion drove into Ley in 185. At this point, much to the surprise of the Imperium, the Protectorate offered an alliance and joined the War on the Imperial side. Though the entry of the Protectorate had little effect on the ultimate outcome of the war, Luriani forces were an important factor in halting and reversing the Star Legion's drive into Ley. With the end of the war in 191, negotiations resumed on a more positive note and in 202, the Protectorate was incorporated into the Imperium."

And that point (202) is where the two timelines come back together again. What appears to happen is the two timelines diverge for about a hundred years and then move identically. Thus it only presents a problem in M0. When you check the text in GtD (p13) you find a significantly different history for those hundred years.

Last edited:
Just for reference T20's take is

Imperial Expansion
Naturally, the Third Imperium did expand, its borders creeping out at a couple of parsecs a year. Most regions were assimilated bloodlessly through a combination of diplomacy, economic pressure and a reputation for fair and honorable conduct. Some worlds were eager to accept the protection of the Imperial Navy. And some resisted. This period of oftenforcible expansion is collectively known as the Pacification Campaigns, and is generally considered to have taken place in the period 76-120.

Thus the Third Imperium was involved in a number of naval, ground and peacekeeping campaigns at any given time in its early expansion. One of the most notable was the Arnaki Rebellion of 91-99, which drained Imperial resources considerably.

During this time, tension between the Second Luriani Protectorate and the Third Imperium increased. Negotiations broke down and the Imperial Archduke Ishargi, assigned to oversee the Gateway region, decided to strengthen his hand with a show of force. Leading a considerable fleet, Archduke Ishargi began a flag-showing tour through the region, intending to deliberately flout Luriani sovereignty to underscore his vast advantage in terms of strength.

However, in one of those flukes of history, the bulk of the Protectorate fleet was conducting exercises in the Rurur system when Ishargi’s force arrived. The resulting battle was a resounding defeat for the Imperials and Archduke Ishargi was killed aboard his flagship.

This sparked the Luriani War of 93-96. At first the Imperials, distracted by the Arnaki Rebellion and the minor insurrections it inspired, were unable to make much headway against the talented Luriani crews. However, in time the scales tipped more and more in favor of the Imperials and in 96 the Protectorate surrendered, accepting Imperial annexation without condition.

Incorporation of the Protectorate into the Imperium was not completed for another century. For no sooner had the Imperials broken Luriani resistance than they were sent to engage other foes; first the remnants of the Arnaki Rebellion and later a new empire deemed to pose a threat to the expanding Imperium.

In the far Rimward-Trailing region of Ley Sector lay the Sydymic Empire, a powerful interstellar state ruled by another minor human race. This was the empire of the Sydites, who had slowly and painfully climbed back onto the interstellar stage after rediscovering Jump drive in the last years of the Long Night, and now ruled parts of four subsectors. Skirmishes between Imperial ships and Sydite vessels had taken place since 73, but with the Luriani blocking Imperial expansion, it was not until about 100 that real conflict began. The next 20 years saw a series of small but bitter fleet clashes along the Sydite borders. The Sydites proved to be unimaginative but very determined fighters; their inferior technology compensated for by the fact that the Imperials were operating at the end of long lines of communications. When the Pacification Campaigns officially ended, the Imperials had made no real headway against the Sydites. Unwilling to go to the lengths required to crush them, the Imperials simply drew back a little and adopted a defensive stance, more or less ending the conflict. This had the effect of further curtailing Imperial movements towards Gateway Sector, which was still struggling though some very hard times.

The Imperials had been aware of the K’Kree for many years, and had even opened tentative communications, when the first official meeting of ambassadors took place on Mneonon in the year 103.

Imperial Consolidation
The Third Imperium continued to expand, albeit at a slower pace, after the Pacification Campaigns. This created considerable tension in other regions and the occasional war. Most notable among these was the Julian War of 191-195, which is notable mainly for the fact that it ended in an expensive stalemate.

One factor in the Imperial decision to seek a peace was the destruction of the Fornast and Ley sector naval depots by deep-raiding Julian fleets. These fleets brought the war to the Gateway region for a time, and significantly weakened the Imperial position in the region.

Nevertheless, the Luriani cluster was formally absorbed into the Imperium in 200-220. After a long period of negotiations, an acceptable settlement was reached and formalized by the Treaty of Daramm. This included the formation of a new Luriani Cultural Region administration to oversee the integration. This second LCR existed from 202-217, and then disbanded once its work was done. The Luriani culture was absorbed into the Imperium with little disruption.

T4 FF&S Heavy Weapons Fire Control

T4 FF&S Page 44 Fire Control refers the designer to Section II: Components "Weapon Accessories" on page 61. Page 61 is for small arm CPR slug-throwers not Heavy Weapons CPR slug-throwers. I would like to recommend adding the following change to the Consolidated T4 Errata document:

Page 44 Heavy Weapons Fire Control (correction): Select fire control equipment from the "Weapons Accessories" component chapter (page 69).

I've Tried and failed to find the SSDS.PDF we have referred to in the Consolidated T4 Errata V0.01 (12/23/11) P 10 Starships.

Can we find and host a copy of it, I suspect somebody has it.

Hi warwizard,

I've Tried and failed to find the SSDS.PDF we have referred to in the Consolidated T4 Errata V0.01 (12/23/11) P 10 Starships.

Can we find and host a copy of it, I suspect somebody has it.

I'm fairly sure that Donald McKinney can point you to the file you're looking for.

Back