• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Counterstrike

Strategic Trade--

I'm trying to think of ways the the UWP info can impact the game.

Going with the offices competing on a world idea.... When resolving the competition (and/or production), each player secretly determines how much 'dodgy' seedy underhanded sorts of stuff he'll be doing to swing things his way. Roll 2d6... if its less than or equal to the Law Level of the world, he is under restrictions for x turns on that world. (If he botches this too many times, he may get some Imperial sanctions laid on him!) If he circumvents the law, he gets a bonus in the resolution while his opponents get a penalty.

A player could do something really major and try for bigger bonuses, but he will have a penalty for his Law roll.

A player could 'pay' for DMs to the roll... thus larger, more profitable companies could crush smaller competitors.

Any ideas on how to work the converted Azhanti High Lightning's to the game?

(I think Oberlinde had one of those...)

Originally posted by Robject:
A player could 'pay' for DMs to the roll... thus larger, more profitable companies could crush smaller competitors.
Yes, and then the player could blow up the competing offices.
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
file_22.gif

How about the Mega Corps taking over the local economies somehow...

It'd be sort of like the 'neutral' armies in Risk except instead of fighting them, you get 'em hooked with your free samples.

This will put a lot of small targets on the board for the players to gobble up before they take each other on.

Things would maybe escalate from simple trade, to breaking into markets, to cheating on your accounting in order to consolidate control in key places, to all out trade war.

BeRKA:

Actually, I don't see why not. Offices, warehouses, and factories could have defensive values -- just like any other counter -- and can also host corporate security units, complete with orbital elements. Blowing up a competing office would simply require either transporting militarized units to the surface or conducting orbital bombardment via military counters. In other words, tradewar turned hot.

Of course, at that point we'd need rules for the Imperial Navy to step in and intervene with extreme prejudice.

Jeffr0:

Likewise, the Azhanti High Lightning is essentially a 'Division'. With my draft rules, the ship can fly solo or run with auxiliaries. In other words, the tradewar counters are supposed to mesh seamlessly with the 'real war' counters... which is one reason corporations can't field front-line Battle Squadrons -- unless there's no Imperial-type authority to oppose them. Nice variant system, there, where the corporate states go all-out. Ouch!

As for taking over local economies, I'm hoping that the economic value of a world represents its economy, and that therefore being the sole company on the planet means you get all the traffic income.

And I think your escalation model is sort of what I'd like to see, too. Interesting idea about manipulating intangibles (accounting forex). That would be pretty cool to work in.

Speaking of draft rules...

Are you even close to having a playable draft?

I would suggest aiming for a two player PBEM game. Use a "Fog of War" approach so that player's have limited knowledge of their opponent's position and status.

Each turn, a player gets detailed feedback on his operations along with highlights from the business news media concerning his opponent-- and possibly some reports from his espionage teams.

It should be possible to give an entire turn's orders in one brief email. The moderator would take the 2 sets of orders, resolve them in the game, and send back the reports to the players for the next turn.

The game should last no longer than, what? 10 or 20 turns?

On second thought, doing this double blind might take a lot more work than I first thought. Oh well, this is just a thumbnail sketch of what might work. Any other ideas on what might be good to shoot for in the first playable draft of the Strategic Trade game?

Concerning planetary takeovers of the more traditional kind (invasions), I recall seeing a suggestion from somewhere (don't remember where, possible the TML) for a semi-abstract planetary invasion system based on "control points" which had to be taken, and the number of control points was based on the planet's population.

I've tried looking around the Web but haven't found it again. Does anyone have any ideas where this might be?

Control points, eh? That sounds good, from a 'capture the system' point of view at least.

Jeffr0, I've been thinking of trying out what I've got to see how badly it's broken. I was thinking about printing out a few subsectors around Regina, some unit counters, and seeing how the game flow feels.

Something I didn't want was to have to keep track of anything, including accumulated wealth. But as they stand, the rules require it. I'm not sure if that can be 'fixed'.

For example, when starting out, you've got a Type A. Fine, but you have to run it for awhile before you've built up enough cash to establish an office. How can I avoid that?

What I need is something that can 'hold' value until I can 'spend' it on something with actual game value. Money, more or less, except some kind of unit that perhaps can be put on the gameboard. A Broker, perhaps, or a Factor.

Maybe a Broker costs 1 unit, and just sits on a world without actually giving any benefits (I know, it's not quite true to Traveller, but for my purposes a single Broker won't affect this level of gameplay anyhow). A Factor likewise costs 3 units, and also just sits there.

But these essentially become moneylike, and can just as easily be placed on the borders of the map and called Money.

Which brings me to the idea of printing Imperial Credit notes (Cr100,000 bills) and using them, which might be fun.

You could just do the Axis and Allies approach:

You get a certain amount of income to invest back into your business each turn. It'd be based on stuff you could read off the board and/or counters.

The focus could be on expansion, rather than just amassing money chits. If you aren't growing, you're out of the game....

That's pretty much where I want to be, Jeffr0.

So currently, the rules allow a single player to grow his little trade empire to cover any sized section of space. The cost rules encourage the player to organize his resources as efficiently as possible: get the best possible trade routes, and tailor the trader units to match the traffic volume.

The rules also have provision for competition. An installation is required on a world when another is trying to establish a foothold: in that case, the ones with the installations split the traffic, and those with no installations get nothing.

I'm also thinking about some rules that allow extending trade network ranges, which happen to allow limited cooperation.

The Startup: a player is given a free trader: jump 1, carrying capacity 2. His primary goal is to establish a base in a good location.

So he stakes out a pair of worlds that gets him 2 points income per turn, and builds an Office on one of them.

Over the next couple turns, he improves the office by adding outbuildings (stack them underneath the Office counter). This is the money equivalent -- now that he has an office, he can stockpile. One counter for a Warehouse, two counters for an Office, and three for a Factory. When he needs to, he can liquidate the assets and buy something else.

Then, when he has enough saved up, he adds them to his income and buys a new ship, or, more likely, a small fleet of traders. And he establishes new trade routes, builds new offices, etc.

Given enough time and no competition, he will have a factory on every world that has a significant trade volume, connected by high-capacity freighter divisions.

The Pirate: a player is given a secure trader: jump 2, attack 2, carrying capacity 2. His primary goal is to establish a base on a low LL, high TL system. For the pirate, carrying capacity is always one greater than the counter's face value. This reflects the profit realized from selling what you didn't pay for. (Even minus maintenance, repairs, and fencing, grabbing an air/raft or cutter once in awhile pays many times over.)

Every time a pirate enters a system, then he must roll the Law Level or less of that system to be identified and attacked by system defense forces. Resolve combat using the military combat rules. Anti-piracy come in all shapes and sizes. Attack factor = Law Level. Class A/B: Task force auxiliaries, otherwise single ship.

When a pirate is identified, all of his assets in the system are confiscated.

His secondary goal is to build a web of Informants on target worlds. On each planet he visits, he may spend one point to place an Informant. The Informant requires no upkeep, but serves as an economic enabler: with an Informant, the pirate gets to trade without rolling for the patrol. Unless his primary base is in a system with Law Level Zero or One, it makes sense to place an Informant there. This also means that a risk-taker may risk flying into a high-law-level system once, placing an Informant, then building a base.

A pirate map cannot have more than four Informants in play.

To balance things some, there should probably be one patrol task force (a squadron of type T's) for every pirate in the game. This task force would do random jumps around the map, and act as a kind of roving pirate detector. When they're in a hex with a pirate, the pirate has to roll 8+ (or something) to remain incognito. Being discovered triggers attack from the Patrol, attack from system defenses, and confiscation of assets in-system. How's that for dangerous?

I suppose a pirate's ultimate goal is to build up a fiefdom. Therefore, he may build as many bases as he likes, and may improve them with as many buildings as he likes, but can only have one ship counter (be it a single ship or an entire task force).

At some point, it would seem that he can have so much invested in a world that he essentially owns the world. That means the system defense forces become his. I'm unsure of the broader implications of this. Perhaps that means he wins, and his score should be tallied up.

You forgot about the Zhodani invasion rules.

If a war occurs, your shipping efforts go towards the war efforts. Pirates can go legit by becoming privateers....

Oh... and keep it simple, too.

But seriously... balancing the one or more pirate players over against 1 or more Corporate players would be tricky.

You'd have to define the endgame for both types of player... and then fiddle with the rules until it's more or less balanced.

OTOH, such a move would go a long ways toward differentiating it from every other game out there that's even close to being similar.

You also forgot about Tukera.

Tukera could be used both for "The Pirate" to pray on, and for the "The Startup" to compete with.

Since Tukera has a lot of influence over Imperial business, then each time a Tukera ship is attacked, another Patrol could be added.

Groovy, BeRKA.

One of my to-do items is to figure out how to set up an 'automatic' player (such as Tukera) against which the players must compete for growth. An automatic player would essentially be in a static position, occupying the best trade routes only, and would have to be ruthless when it comes to protecting itself. In fact, in many ways it might resemble a player who has essentially 'won' the game, arriving at some high level of profit and efficiency.

A side-effect of that would be that a player could build a huge shipping corp from scratch, 'winning' when all major lanes are occupied, then set that company on 'auto-pilot' and start over with a startup trying to muscle its way in. It would also be interesting to figure out how two large corporations can co-exist in this kind of environment. Or perhaps, in the end, There Can Be Only One?

Having a megacorp use the Imperium as one of their beating sticks is a great idea.

OT: You did know that Marc is considering using some your mainworld codes for T5, didn't you?

I think any strategic game needs to be at the scale of FFW, both in terms of units/hexes and time. Production rules, both of naval units and groud forces, will have to be whipped up, as will some sort of naval design rules. Additionally, the whole concept of admirals and plotting times needs revisting. Economics need to be looked at as does the issue of supply.

Also, the strategic game needs to be the primary base from which all other modules will grow. Instead of trying to shoe-horn various mostly-incompatible systems together, a totally new hybrid must be designed.

Questions that need answering: How detailed will this game be? Ship or squadron level? Abstract damage like FFW, HG, or some sort of middle ground? What about ground troops, both mobile and militia? How will the concept of SDBs be handled? What about communication? Political rules? Research? Population growth and decline? Will there be events, random or otherwise? What about economic exhaustion? Are there different levels of economic mobilization?

Right now, I see a lot of vaguely connected ideas, some of which I find intruiging, but there are too many threads going off in too many directions right now. If this project is to be successful, it has to be tackled one system at a time.

First, I think of this as a hobby, rather than a project. That clears up issues regarding to organization, scale, basis, and effort. It also points me to already-existing strategic rule systems, namely Mercenary and FFW, which provide good anchor points for the continuum. In fact, I find Book 4's mass combat system to be very adaptable for very-high-level starship mass combat, allowing single ships, 'divisions' and squadrons to freely battle one another. So, in my book, combat is 'done', requiring tweaks that playtest will have to shake out.

Now on to more important matters. I printed out .75" counters and a starmap of the Regina subsector plus a bit. The counters are too large for comfort; either that, or the map hexes are too small; likely both are true. Regina alone will need space to hold offices, ships, what-have-you; I may have to rethink the counter organization altogether. But I don't want to.

It's easy to print the starmap's hexes larger, but who wants to print out a huuuge map for a mere 11x11 parsec expanse? I prefer a single 8x11 sheet of paper, but it looks like it will have to be bigger. But what about an entire sector? That would be HUGE.

I may think about making the counters even more abstract, so there are fewer of them on the map. But how to do that in a good way?

Back