• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Double Adventures You've Played In/Run?

CT Double Adventures You've Played In/Run?

• 1 - Annic Nova

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • 1 - Shadows

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • 2 - Across the Bright Face

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • 2 - Mission on Mithril

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • 3 - The Argon Gambit

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 3 - Death Station

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • 4- Marooned

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 4 - Marooned Alone

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • 5 - The Chamax Plague

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • 5 - Horde

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • 6 - Divine Intervention

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • 6 - Night of Conquest

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters
Hey, you got your dungeon crawl in my Traveller.

As young men, my group enjoyed many of the early published adventures. As for the Double Adventures, ‘Death Station’, ‘Shadows’ and ‘Across the Bright Face’ were our favorites. They all had good elements of tension to keep the story moving forward (nothing like a corrosive atmosphere or ATV loads of armed pursuers to make you time sensitive). Sadly, I couldn’t convince them to try ‘Marooned’ or the Chamax adventures.

Somewhat off the topic: I was lucky enough to run Leviathan to its logical conclusion. Logical for a bunch of teen agers: we high jacked that big SOB! If I remember correctly, the PCs didn’t have the full support of the crew that they were counting on. It turned into a big mess; with armed parties taking and re-taking control of various parts of the ship till one PC Engineer intentionally Mis-Jumped. I tabled the game made some rolls, took a vote, passed around snacks and drinks and celebrated a survivable Mis-jump further into the Hinterlands outside the Imperium. The game lasted another 5 or 6 long sessions. By that time the itch to return to short games of D&D, Gamma World, Boot Hill and Top Secret overcame the group’s desire to continue Travelling.

I really, really want to do Leviathan, as a player or GM. Almost got it off the ground once. Really, it's classic SF.

I really, really want to do Leviathan, as a player or GM. Almost got it off the ground once. Really, it's classic SF.

Way back when, my second Traveller group did Leviathan. It was interesting. It's essentially mapping new space a-la the scout handbook. We never got beyond three sessions or so, but there was potential, if I recall correctly, for us to me "super-tech" worlds and such on our trade mission.

I've run Annic Nova/Shadows, Bright Face/Mithril, and Death Station. In each case, I kept the elements I liked, and jettisoned those I didn't. I reused elements of them over and over. The Annic Nova is a nifty ship. Change a few details, it can be a nobles yacht or a pirate ship. I used the temple map in Shadows over and over. No one ever noticed. I used the encounter charts in Bright Face/Mithril anytime my players went cross country. The only one I actually ran straight was Death Station.

BTW, a retro RPG based on D&D called "X-Plorers" has a free adventure with a map and set up very similar to Death Station. Hmm...

I just ran horde this summer and the players LOVED it. They really enjoyed Death Station prior to that as well. We've played ATBF and Crowded Hours (IMO, a modern classic). We did a Mission to Zhodane/Beltstrike mashup that was ok but I could have prolly done a better job.

I usually do not use per-written adventure. Mostly because I have either found the inability to completely engross myself into someone else's story or characters since they were not imagined by me; or I have found not enough logic in the system of the scenario to think that the story makes sense.

For example I have tried running some for 3.5 D&D that I swear they threw things into the game just because they thought it was cool. In one module, it was played at the site of an ancient battle for a keep which was built over a temple to an evil god or a daemon. In this ruin were ogres, ogre mages, good so far, a chimera, still okay and a tieffling swashbuckler, the main antagonist, nice and usable. So now is were it becomes stupid. In the dreaded temple below the keep are three fiendish garillians, who apparently were pets of this evil wizard who died centuries ago after fighting the good wizard, who the pets tore his arms off. Plus around the corner of the temple was a blue slad, just hanging around. The treasure that would have been taken from this terrible set up was an earth-crown (elemental magic), a ring of wizardry, and a horn of summoning (Which calls and controls the chimera) but if you kill the chimera before you use the horn, it is rendered mostly useless.

If you do not find the three treasures, your party is pretty well beat and unhappy. except the Paladin who loves to fight evil no matter the award!:D:file_28:

Shadows was one of the earliest adventures my original group played and it struck the right note....it was a mystery, a sci-fi archaeology adventure and a dungeon crawl but with the emphasis on investigation rather than just killing things. It was a good introduction to gaming Traveller.

Chamax Plague/Horde was a favourite. We scratched our heads trying to find solutions and there was tension as time was running out but we had a great time and managed to put Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" musical on in the background to help create the mood. It brought out the 1950s B movie fans in all of us.

Mission on Mithril was us v the elements, Across the Bright Face was us v the elements plus a team of hit men out to get us. A lot of those double adventures required fleshing out and to vary them I added lots of extra scenes (like encountering a lone prospector in his habitat in AtBF who wants everyone to get off his claim)...actually, I ripped off a lot of "Moon Zero Two" and stuck it in AtBF.

I ran Bright Face more then any other adventure.

And without fail, every single team destroyed that monorail.

I apparently have a scary set of friends and family.

The only one of the choices above that I have not run is the Argon Gambit.

As for my favorite, it's a toss-up between Shadows and Death Station.

I played in (rarely), ran (mostly), or plundered (again mostly) all but The Argon Gambit and Marooned Alone.

Argon got a pass because I could never quite figure out how to fit the players in the plot. While the plot isn't that intricate, I still had trouble where it could or would intersect with the PCs or why the PCs would even care. I couldn't think of how to set the "hook" as it were.

I also blanched at the idea of Imperial marines using FGMP-15s to turn ordinary street thugs into a cloud of carbon vapor with trace amounts of minerals in a down town alley in broad daylight. :rolleyes:

Marooned Alone was passed up because it's designed for solo play. I did run Marooned, or parts of it, a few times. One such occasion happens to be one of my favorite RPG memories.

I did use Alone very briefly as "referee prep" before running Marooned for the first time. I wanted to get a hand on the turn sequence, terrain effect, various events, and other bits before running a group of players through the same.

Among all the DAs, I ran, plundered, and/or re-skinned Death Station most often with the ATV Twins a close second.

Both Night of Conquest and Divine Intervention are the DAs I ran and/or plundered the least with Annic Nova a distant second.

The Chamax Pair are perhaps the DAs I most often ran "straight" with Shadows a distant second.

Has anyone ever played the Marooned Alone scenario solitaire? It is an interesting double adventure, as it basically is all wilderness travel.

Back