• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Deckplans kinda

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
I am posting this here, in that I want to talk about deckplans that are useful with miniatures. Which is often at odds with the Deckplan purist that exists else where on these boards.

Right now I am pondering doing "ships" like the game FTL does them, Simple Tile based representation. As the attached image shows. (I am planing on using 3 inch tiles for the large square rooms, and 1 1/2 by 3 inch tiles for the rectangles)

Attachments

• Image 187.jpeg
    Image 187.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 11
I am posting this here, in that I want to talk about deckplans that are useful with miniatures. Which is often at odds with the Deckplan purist that exists else where on these boards.

Right now I am pondering doing "ships" like the game FTL does them, Simple Tile based representation. As the attached image shows. (I am planing on using 3 inch tiles for the large square rooms, and 1 1/2 by 3 inch tiles for the rectangles)
Agreed. There's "what works well as a working space ship, likely designed with security as a priority" and then there's "what works as a tactically-interesting board for an RPG/close-quarters combat game".

I tend toward drawing the former type, because the presumption of ineptitude by naval architects designing multi-megacredit ships gets on my nerves. On the other hand, this can make quite a few traditional RPG/fiction scenarios non-viable -- and that's a problem also.

Last edited:
Maps and deck plans - my favorite parts of Traveller (and any game). I back this 1 guy on Kickstarter as he makes poster deck plans and minis. While not particularly Traveller (not all fuel tank) they do make for good tactical maps. We've played a few skirmish games on them (One Page Rules). My blog has callouts when I use those maps, and they are nice. Reason I found him was his 2nd one was the Grendel - it was the Beowulf basically! The PDFs include the deck plans and all that, and I've managed to use 1 so far in a VTT.

But I also like the "purist" approach at least in theory, but if you want a tactical game, then there are those consideration as well.

Back