• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Some further notes on 15mm

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
In 15mm circles there has been a tradition of making do with found objects as much as buying models.

We/I have built a lot of the bits over the years. Couple that with some really cool manufactures who will supply bits if asked. (uniform wheels have alway been one of my issues)

Nominally 1/100th is the scale. Generally that is a common 1:1 ground scale for RPGish actions. i.e. 15mm squares for 1/5 meters spaces. A 1/2 inch square works as well, but a lot of vehicle models will be on the large size.

While we are there, PDFs of deckplans available from places like DrivethruRPG with one inch squares work just fine when printed at 60%.

For natively drawing Plans at scale 5 square to the inch graph paper is great as 3 squares is 15mm. My favorite paper for drawing plans is 5mm dot paper which has a dot every 5mm instead of a square.

Moving on to model building, when using plastic stock 1/8th of a inch is approximately 3mm-ish.

My wife is afraid to throw away any packing material in boxes until I have a chance to look at it. :) I found some cheap Flying Saucers at Dollar Tree they needed a paint job, then got some 15mm Grays, and some WWII Army men - "Escape from Roswell." With 15mm minis sometimes half the fun is looking for weird stuff you can use.

A trick from model railroading- you can often use larger scale buildings especially industrial as massive infrastructure, more true to life versions.

It’s things like doorways and windows that give away scale, less of that or substitute smaller doors or two story windows to trick the eye.

Back