• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Distribution of Tech Levels Across a Subsector

So the "most typical" UPP is C550550-9?

It is a bit trickier than that, as Hydro has additional DMs based on factor of Size and Atmosphere. (If Size is 0 then Hydro is 0; if Atmosphere 0, 1, or A+ then -4 DM Hydro roll.)

These extra conditions increase the odds of a Hydro 0 world.

But a world of Size 5 and Atmoshphere 5 will be weighted to have a Hydro of 5.

It is a bit trickier than that, as Hydro has additional DMs based on factor of Size and Atmosphere. (If Size is 0 then Hydro is 0; if Atmosphere 0, 1, or A+ then -4 DM Hydro roll.)

I know, that's why I put quotes around "most typical".

The only area where such a hypothetical world might make sense is for trade planning at the sector (or perhaps even Imperium-wide) level, in making large scale production plans.

So the "most typical" UPP is C550550-9?

How do you come up with the most typical size being "5"? If you are rolling two 6-sided die, the highest probability outcome is a result greater than "5". As size does not have any modifiers, an average world of size "5", should not occur.

A result of 5 or lower has a probability of 10 out of 36 outcomes. A result of 6 or higher has a probability of 26 out of 36 outcomes. Something is wrong with your random number generator. Five or lower should occur slightly over 25 percent of the time, with 6 or higher appearing slightly less than 75 percent of the time.

Planetary size is generated on a roll of 2D-2, hence the most common outcome is 5.

In fact across the board, given all rolls have already been a 5, a 5 is most common (7 is the most common roll on 2D, 7 - 7 + 5 is 5). 0s only edge out 5 because they get a boost (note that for the stats I did, I force government, law, and TL to 0 if population is 0) from the various results that force a 0.

Frank

Back