• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Free Trader

ShawnDriscoll

SOC-14 1K
hex_free_trader_1.png

I spent a few hours, playing with different apps I have, doing various draft models of the Free Trader. It will be a lo-res model when completed. Something that I don't want to spend more than a couple days on. Which meant Hexagon would be used. Ha!

Amapi Pro is great at NURBS. But it is a terrible box-modeler, which I was finding worked better for this kind of object. I had forgotten that Hexagon does boolean cutting, which speeds up the modeling process as well. I'm hoping I don't have to do too much clean-up work on the mesh, once I'm done cutting chunks out of it.

Because I'm old-school, when it comes to modeling Traveller ships, I tend to use only the first drawing made of a ship for reference. I have no idea what the back or bottom of the Free Trader looks like, because there is only the one image of it in The Traveller Book hardcover on page 64. Maybe I have some notes that I took about that back in the day still. Otherwise, creative license as usual.

Like all models I make, this one will also be done by eyeballing things. No tracing.

Thanks.

I'm staring at a finished mesh now. Deciding on what the ship texture will look like. Steel, iron, rust, dented, charred, stainless, primer, glossy, chrome, tinted, dinged, riveted, welded, scuffed, scratched, soot, pitted, shiny, reflective, bright, dark, gun metal, refurbished, re-purposed.

hex_free_trader_5.png

Last edited:
What a piece of junk!

piece_of_junk.jpg

Maybe the players will find this long-abandoned ship, and work on restoring it. Maybe even discover a story that once belonged to it. Probably worth more as scrap though.

I love the way this has turned out Shawn. It's a wonderful3-D interpretation of the original Bill Keith drawing in The Traveller Book.

Hey Shawn, looking shiny, can't wait till she's done.

I'm hoping this chair will fit in the cockpit. I haven't decided how high the chairs will be yet (raised flooring, artificial ceiling if possible, etc etc).

hex_seats_1.png

ADDED:
Got the desk and foot rest installed.

hex_seats_2.png

Last edited:
Some renders.

A passenger sits in the Captain's chair, waiting for help to arrive.
free_trader_near_world_1_sig.png

Fixed the lettering (it was a free font I downloaded).
free_trader_near_world_2_sig.png

Last edited:
First, the images are absolutely beautiful.

However, I am just a little disappointed at not seeing that camo ship with the exposed bare metal. That sort of fired up MY imagination.

First, the images are absolutely beautiful.

However, I am just a little disappointed at not seeing that camo ship with the exposed bare metal. That sort of fired up MY imagination.
That was a cool-looking texture.

I want to do something for the (lack of) engines in the back. Maybe some Phantom Menace style pod-engines fitted in those square openings.

Back