• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Free Traders i.e. Citizen of the Galaxy

pshrynk

SOC-11
Baron
Anyone know of module(s) that simulate the Free Traders that Heinlein created in Citizen of the Galaxy? I always wanted to BE a free trader growing up and having just recently reread it, my thoughts turned to the idea that maybe someone has done the ground work to create a setting in Traveller.

Officially, No.

Though as part of the History of the Imperium Working Group, the Astromani were discussed.

The Astromani are effectively what you are looking for.

I did a bunch of work on them years ago, but my work is buried somewhere on a collection of floppies for my Powerbook100...

Anyone know of module(s) that simulate the Free Traders that Heinlein created in Citizen of the Galaxy? I always wanted to BE a free trader growing up and having just recently reread it, my thoughts turned to the idea that maybe someone has done the ground work to create a setting in Traveller.
If I remember right (and correct me if I'm not), didn't the Free Traders have a big bazaar somewhere? And then they elected a new leader? I wonder if it could be similar to the Teamsters Union. A Free Traders Union? But I also think of Boomers on Star Trek Enterprise - a family-run ship.

Also, did the beginning of Citizen of the Galaxy remind you of The Phantom Menace?

Also, did the beginning of Citizen of the Galaxy remind you of The Phantom Menace?
The only thing Thorby & Anakin had in common was being slaves for as long as they have memories.

Thorby's master was a crippled beggar and spy, Anakin's current master ran a junk shop and liked to gamble while his previous master was a Hutt.

Thorby was a beggar and conkid who started wondering about the other side of his master and had many underworld contacts, Anakin piloted pod racers and had a knack for electronics, robotics, gravitics, computers, and mechanics, and built an android for fun.

Thorby didn't know anything about who his parents were, Anakin lived with his mother who was also a slave to the same master.

I guess one other thing they had in common was the help they got to get out of slavery and start new lives, Thorby as a Trader, Naval Cadet, and then the recovered heir of an interstellar conglomerate and Anakin learned to fly space fighters and harness his Force powers as a Jedi Padawan and then Knight.

Hmm, and they both lost someone close the them, Throby lost his master/father figure to execution by the government and Anakin lost his mom to torture by Tusken Raiders.

I guess they have more in common than I originally thought (thanks Google) while having a lot of differences.

I remember a magazine article about the inspirations J.K. Rowling's might have gotten from other media (movies, books, comics, plays...), whether she said so or not.

And there are lot's of other's who got inspiration from others for their own 'work' and made it to the big times.

I thought the trading and bartering in Citizen of the Galaxy was interesting, not to mention the aliens that were traded with. The space combat (mostly missiles) was fun, but I'm glad Traveller doesn't have a stun beam for the pirates to use. And then there's the MC who went from a Soc 0 Slave to a Soc 8 Merchant and ended up as a Soc 12 Professional who owns what might or might not be considered a Megacorporation. All by the time he was 16 to 18 years old, if I remember correctly.

Other Free Traders in literature - off the top of my head
Foundation
Dumarest
Merchanters in CJ Cherryh's Alliance universe pre-Alliance

In Traveller there is the Guild during TNE...

Van Rijn is CEO of the Solar Spice and Liquors Company – a reference to the spice trade with the East Indies, of the Netherlands' Golden Age. In this the character is meant to suggest the Dutch merchant adventurers of that time, and is far closer to them than to the 20th century Dutch. He is libertarian in his philosophy, expressing contempt for government and believing that unfettered commerce is the only path to peace and prosperity. He describes commerce as "swindling each other", enjoys watching yacht races, is two metres tall and "globular" in shape, has a goatee beard, dresses in colourful and anachronistic fashions, wears numerous rings, and is called "Old Nick" by his employees. He routinely speaks in a loud, basso voice which Anderson often likens to the sound of a hurricane or avalanche, much as his physical bulk is often compared to a mountain or a Jovian planet. He is apparently impervious to personal abuse but is angered by stupidity, incompetence, prevarication, and delay. He has never married but has taken many paramours and has at least two natural children. With Sandra Tamarin, the Grand Duchess of the planet Hermes, he has a son, Eric Tamarin-Asmundsen. With a woman named Ramona, he has a daughter, Beatriz (neither one's surname is given); Beatriz's daughter Coya Conyon marries David Falkayn, the other central character of the Polesotechnic League series. Van Rijn swears by a number of saints including Saint Dismas, and has expressed the intention of burning candles in offering (to which another character responded: "Saint Nicholas had best get it in writing"). In times of stress, he has been known to shout "This I have not deserved! Do you hear me!", presumably at God.

A. Bertram Chandler did merchants, but they were employed by shipping lines.

Spacers in general are going to be different. Canonically, they spend at least half their lives inside starships rather than planetside, and most of that in Jump Space.

I've thought of having a family-run merchant ship culture, similar to what's in Citizen of the Galaxy, in MTU, but haven't really worked out what types of ships they would use. There's a lot to think about, especially when taking into consideration their culture, laws, family ties, economics, minimum ships for new families, families that join or split, old families split between a handful of ships..., connections, enemies... It's almost like writing up the history and culture for an alien race. I kind of see them as Merchant Space Gypsy's who follow the credits and are very serious about safety and family.

I've thought of having a family-run merchant ship culture, similar to what's in Citizen of the Galaxy, in MTU, but haven't really worked out what types of ships they would use. There's a lot to think about, especially when taking into consideration their culture, laws, family ties, economics, minimum ships for new families, families that join or split, old families split between a handful of ships..., connections, enemies... It's almost like writing up the history and culture for an alien race. I kind of see them as Merchant Space Gypsy's who follow the credits and are very serious about safety and family.
That's kind of what I'm tinkering with. I think the ships would have to be relatively big with some loss of cargo space to accommodate the Family. Still pondering. I was hoping that someone else had already done the math and i could just copy and paste. :cool:

Back