• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

FTL:2448 in 2300

Murph

SOC-14 1K
The ship movement and mapping systems are similar, the aliens are neat, and the psionics systems in complex as heck. Anyone added FTL:2448 to their system? I like the starships that are used in the game. Mapping is the same as 2300.

No one uses/plays FTL:2448?

The game was almost unknown when it was in print.

Not to mention the TriTac rules are generally considered to suck badly due to unplayable detail levels.

In general, the gaming industry is moving away from hyper-detailed simulation.

Yeah, I've tinkered with it. Been thinking about entering the hexes in ChView. Mapping isn't the same as 2300, though. 2448 uses galactic coordinates. 2300 uses equatorial.

2448 Aliens

Hey, Murph, did you ever adapt 2448 aliens to 2300 or Traveller? They don't seem to have been designed with play balance in mind.

I might have to re-visit this idea. IIRC, none of the 2448 alien homeworlds is occupied by any of the 2300 races. I'd have to map it to be sure. There's no 7.7 limit with phase drive, although there is a non-zero chance of blowing up your ship if it's untuned. I'd have to review the rules. Best of all, the Zankee and Hagonni are located Rimward of the Pentapods and headed in this direction.

I dream of Hagonni pitching Pentapod bullets with their bayonets :rofl:

This is interesting....

"2300 AD is a roleplaying game originated by GDW and currently owned by Tantalus Games. It uses the same timeline as an earlier game, Twilight: 2000, although the game systems were always different. Plainly speaking, the system was a ripoff of an obscure but quite interesting RPG called FTL 2448."

http://sewell_thomas.tripod.com/2300/index.html

Now I'm gonna have to see if I can find my copy of FTL:2448, I have not opened it in years. I also had Fringeworthy.

This from the guy who claims SpaceMaster is playable. :)

Spacemaster is simple next to TriTac... provided you copy the tables you'll need.

Spacemaster complexity is in CGen and ship construction, not in play (where all rolls are 1d100 + Skill Score + difficulty mod, or in combat, 1d100 + Offensive Bonus – target's defensive bonus). XP is by difficulty class of rolls for non combat, by hits and crits done and taken, and cash acquired... Fiddly, but not hard.

TriTac, it's got just as much CGen complexity, and more in play complexity. Formulae, not just tables.
And 3x3" hit locations (8x8cm), and they matter...

Spacemaster is simple next to TriTac... provided you copy the tables you'll need.

My view of ICE is colored by my first experience with the system. Back around '81 or so, a buddy of mine tried to run D&D with Rolemaster rules. It was a night of chart shuffling.

My view of ICE is colored by my first experience with the system. Back around '81 or so, a buddy of mine tried to run D&D with Rolemaster rules. It was a night of chart shuffling.

TriTac has a even worse first session... chart shuffling and calculators.

We also tried FTL:2448, but there was not enough flavor text for a campaign. Not like Fringeworthy. I ran a Fringeworthy campaign game back when I was a teen. Traveller rules, Fringeworthy campaign because yes the Tri-Tac rules were sort of complicated. We did use the body hit location charts because we were morbid though. :smirk:
It was eerily similar to a certain television show but instead of Goa'uld, Fringeworthy had Mellor. Much ammo was expended :devil:

I bought all of Tri-Tac pdfs for Fringeworthy and FTL:2448, cause you never forget your childhood...

Did you ever do any conversions for Traveller? Do you still have them?

Nope. The version of Tri-Tac I had was Bureau13: Stalking the Night Fantastic... however, like Palladium, TriTac is a one-engine house.

No real conversions needed. Just convert the UWP's...

SMC has a prior service system.

Thought maybe you had converted some ships or aliens or something. I converted some ships years ago. Lost them all in various drive crashes. Been so long since I've messed with it that I've forgotten what the aliens were like. Guess I'll have to dig out my books.

Back