• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Has anyone used secret societies IYTU?

So, this is not the first time I have seen this, and one can make the case that the post-Republic Star Wars Empire was plagued with a "secret society" of wanna-be Jedi

But, I recently watched "Ms Marvel" and encountered the trope again, in the "Red Daggers".
Now, yes, I have seen extremely well trained martial artists in the real world

And, during my military service I encountered trained military operators who also enhanced their skills by choosing to study and master a form of martial arts.
I had personal access to a person who made it a requirement to move through the world armed at all times, and his revelation of certain weapons (when it happened) was miraculous even to me. Stunning to those we were facing.

So, it "Does" happen in the real world.
I've not done it because I simply would have to remember "not" to include what I knew was real unless I could say it was general enough to be ubiquitous

But, I am looking for lessons in what you've done?

Flat Universers.

And at some point, an astronomical Aslan will knock everything off the edge....

Absolutely. Pick a crazy, weird secret society from SciFi and it probably exists. In my campaign there are two that currently play a somewhat more central role, the Fellowship of Free Travellers (aka the Freemasons) and the Orchard (if anyone recalls the old Starhunter TV show), but there are plenty more....

I posit that the Oort Cloud is half occupied by secret orgs, mad research bases, drug production etc because it’s far enough out and tough to get jump coordinates, and ice provides fuel, water and oxygen and some carveable habitation if large enough.

A lot of agents are out there in the middle of nowhere trying to find all these people. Think something like Venetian/Mongol/Byzantine/Chinese and possibly Assassin spies out in the middle of nowhere like likely happened in the 1200s.

I split up the psionic discipline training into different orgs with just one specialty instead of one omnibus psionic academy. Getting two or more abilities is a rigorous ordeal with consequences if it’s found out a sworn member has taken training elsewhere.

I split up the psionic discipline training into different orgs with just one specialty instead of one omnibus psionic academy. Getting two or more abilities is a rigorous ordeal with consequences if it’s found out a sworn member has taken training elsewhere.
🤔
Interesting ... very interesting indeed.

Sounds like the game Trinity. Which, if you've never seen it, you should take a look.

Also, I would have put Psions in the Sol system on the asteroid Psyche. :)

Secret societies I've used:

• Psionic Institutes (i see them as semi independent more or less allied entities, each one a secret society in his system)
  • Phoenix Project remains
  • Society of White Star/Society of Red Star (from TD issues 14-17)
  • Various Intelligence services proxies (from IN to SolSec, and others)
In fact, I've used several more, from ecoguerrilla groups to religious ones, but those are the most extensive and used.

Star Trek: TNG
Immortal Coil
Jeffrey Lang

Data discovers and is drawn into a secret war between two secret societies.

One of my favorite reads with Data as the central character.

I've considered doing something like this in MTU.

I've also wondered about Secret Psionic Societies in the different areas of Known Space, or SPS's from outside Known Space who have migrated secretly into Known Space. Mostly because TNE mentions Hivers having some Psi potential when everyone KNOWS Hivers don't have any Psi potential.

I've also had thoughts about the Wanderers. Not much is know about them, but I can't help but wonder if that's intentional or not. Not to mention, there's an old Post where it's mentioned they're a Major Race from somewhere else. Why & What are they hiding, what are they doing, and are they Manipulating everyone (even the Hivers) to not be suspicious?

Mostly because TNE mentions Hivers having some Psi potential when everyone KNOWS Hivers don't have any Psi potential.
Well, presumably they didn't (at least, not officially) back during CT prior to the Empress Wave.

TNE is centuries down the timeline and the Empress Wave has presumably "washed through" Hiver space (finally), making them go "insane" and get psionics too ... 🤯

Hiver dreamers pre-date TNE, which is 1201.
1201-1105 = 96. there are 96 years between the CT start date and the TNE start date, not centuries.

The wave is still hundreds of parsecs away and has nothing to do with it.

By the way the Empress Wave is not CT canon either.

You appeared confused, mixing TNE canon, the wrong dates, and CT canon, so I thought it best to spell it out.

TNE is not centuries away.

If the Empress Wave from TNE is valid then so are Hiver psionics.

Hiver psionics are not the result of the Empress wavs, since the Empress Wavs is still a ling way away.

Nope that resolves your confusion.

You appeared confused, mixing TNE canon, the wrong dates, and CT canon, so I thought it best to spell it out.
You are correct. 🤔
I was mistakenly confusing TNE dates (1201) with Galaxiad (1902).

One of those accursed Off By One errors in terms of which era in the sequence was being referred to. 🔨

Back