• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

(hypothetical) What would you ask Dave Nilsen?

Q: Why did you choose a comedic approach for the Ithklur?

A: H&I was one of those horrifying projects where all of a sudden here the deadline was looming, and a satisfactory MS had not come in, and I had to come up with a book at the last minute.

In looking at the CT Hivers book for inspiration, I was struck by the fact that this was either a not very satisfactory piece of self-contradictory writing that said just about nothing, or a really brilliant piece of propaganda, and the conspiracy behind it was ripe for exposure. Until it was time to write this book we at GDW had frankly thought that all of this “manipulation” crap was a load of hooey, a pathetic self-glamorization equivalent to Madison Avenue marketing, or Republican-vs.-Democrat political advertisement. I.e., something that any teenager could see through and say, “so what?”

However, in the context of a science fiction game, that’s not very interesting. It’s a lot more interesting to think about whether some cabal of nefarious banana-heads really could get you group-thinking without your realizing it, and before you knew it, you really would be puppets dancing to their tune, incapable of stopping yourself. That’s a LOT more interesting in a science fiction roleplaying game, so I reversed all of our sophisticated, world-weary thinking, and pursued wheels within wheels within wheels within wheels. Having read Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum, I was able to do this, and recreate in my mind the paranoia necessary to do so. So the Hiver side of the H&I symbiosis went pretty quickly.

That left the Ithklur. Up until that time, we had limited ourselves to a single illustration and character sketch, in “Star Vikings.” Having worked with our artists for a couple of years to try to figure out what the Ithklur looked like, I had basically determined to get as far away from their Poul Anderson Merseian models as we could, and Brad McDevitt and I (after working with Rob Lazzaretti) settled on a sort of lithe version of the Fantastic Four’s Ben Grimm.

So what were they supposed to be like? Great big intergalactic tough guys? What, Samurai (Aslan), Mafia (Vargr) or something else? Traveller had already done the testosterone-addled ST:TNG Klingon “you have no honor!” schtick, so what original was there to do? One of the under-appreciated meanings of the term “alien,” at least among science fiction audiences, is the sense of “different,” and “incomprehensible.” What is more incomprehensible than totally weird, inexplicable behavior? And what becomes of that objective fact in the face of the human compulsion to rationalize? Truly alien behavior should defy our ability to predict and anticipate, and yet just as we don’t allow a horsey-shaped cloud to remain simply a cloud, we have to impose some sort of descriptive order on this thing we don’t understand.

The fact that the Ithklur were established as a subject race of the Hivers, cunningly reinvented by manipulation over generations to be what the Hivers wished them to be, presented the answer. If you take seriously the notion of radical contingency, that your experience of reality is not necessary (i.e., potentially wrong), you know what true existential horror is, and that madness lies just around the corner. There was no point in making beret-wearing, Gaulloises-smoking nihilists, however. The idea was to attempt to model a race that had in some fashion snapped, but that had a strong enough sense of self that they were trying to fight against it….whatever it was, and whatever that struggle meant.

What the Ithklur know is that they hate the Hivers, and that they are dependent on the Hivers (which is a pretty heady brew on its own), and that whatever they are, that is supposedly what the Hivers intended them to be. Except that they hate the Hivers, which is not presumably what the Hivers intend, so part of them is their own, but maybe that’s just what the Hivers want them to think…Which really pisses them off, because they don’t want the Hivers to win, but what part of them is authentic, and what part of them was made by Hivers? What do they rebel against?

What they end up rebelling against is predictability and the Hivers in general, and what they end up taking as positive role models is humanity, because the one thing that they do know by spending as much time around the Hivers is that the Hivers are spending an awful lot of time trying to manipulate the humans, meaning that the humans are still wild and unspoiled, in the Ithklur terms, “unbowed.” So humans know something that the Hivers don’t, or are doing something that the Hivers don’t like, so that means that something about what the humans are doing is all right with the Ithklur, and the more ancient it is, the better, because that’s more likely to be untainted by Hiver influence. Much of the Ithklur use of human cultural references is an attempt to open communications with humans on topics that the Hivers cannot control (and that the Ithklur do not understand, so they can only speak in phonetically and hope that the humans will explain to them what it means, a vain hope at best, speaking as a human), and most of that just spirals into a feedback loop, which is the origin of the Santa Claus imagery, for example. Noting the accidental similarity of sound of their San*Klaass hero to a human folk hero, Ithklur thought this may be have been a sign of some significance and researched the human folktale. Finding some further random parallels with items of Ithklur adornment (nostril covers and a stiff conical hat), some Ithklur modified their items to be more similar to the human items, and in so doing discovered items that they liked for their own sake, such as the human design of jingle bells, which would eventually displace the native Ithklur-designed beads and become their traditional spontaneity bells. The attempt at subtle communication failed, but the fashion innovations remained. One important feature of this Ithklur fascination with human cultural details is the obsession to establish that it is an authentic human item, and not some piece of Hiver disinformation.

How that ended up coming out in the book is that the Hivers are the weird, deceptive, confusing force, and the Ithklur are those who have snapped under the pressure. And the most effective way to convey that snapping was just to present them as if they had gone crazy, which they had, and they knew it, and embraced it. And crazy looks funny, and funny is something which had not been done before in Traveller, and I won’t belabor those implications. Not funny with the intent of undermining the game’s basic pretense at “realistic” space opera, but funny in inside-the-game terms, where an Imperial human would notice that Vargr were this way, and Aslan were that, and Zhodani were another, but the Ithklur were just flat-out demented, and WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? How many times have you looked at the events of your life and noted that if you were an outsider looking in, rather than the poor sod caught in the gears, it would be funny? And if you were the poor sod, you might still have thought, “this is crazy.” That was the intent of the humor with the Ithklur, to say, “there is something crazy going on here.”

Now I will stipulate that it is possible that that intent did not get conveyed in a perfectly successful manner. That has to do with the finite amount of time, energy, and resources that were available for any project that we undertook. You had some time to do the work, and then you had to finish it, and get it out, because there were other projects to do. I will also stipulate that there were going to be follow-on projects to allow me to follow up and finish fleshing out the ideas, such as the “Into the Belly of the Beast” Epic adventure, to allow me to shore up what didn’t get done right at first. An idea is never conveyed well when it is not conveyed completely, and that was certainly the case with the Ithklur material. But as we all know, GDW did not last long enough for that to be written and published, and so none of those ideas got developed. The Ithklur were never intended to be comprehended solely on the basis of H&I, but also with the addition of the follow-on materials which unfortunately did not emerge.

I do not regret the humor. But I will say that a part that I would probably do differently if I had it to do over is in handling the details of the 20th century humor in the material. There was a specific intent to use 20th century mass media humor, but it could perhaps have been nuanced better to prevent players from drawing the wrong conclusions than I was able to do under the time constraints.

I had toyed around for a while with the notion that in effect science fiction humor had to be translated into time/space-specific analogues (or homologues, depending on how you look at it). Humor is immediate, and is based on personal social experience. Once you start explaining, “well, in this society, A means B, and C means D, so when you say ‘X = Y,’ that’s funny,” the best you can get is a polite smile. True humor comes from the real experience of the reader, which in our case was 20th century consumers of Western culture. So the idea was that even if the 57th century joke was “Flrggt snrfled the farglecarb,” in 20th Century terms it would be as meaningful to say, “So Angel said to Rockford…” (or whatever) and so in a sense we could have some kind of Star Trek “universal translator” running to make the joke work in terms translated to 1994 English from the Galanglic. And so I filled in some segments with filler that hopefully I’d be able to go back to later and make some sense trans-galactic, trans-millenial, trans-racial sense of. In the event, there was not time to fiddle around with it any more, and as I said, there was a deliberate intent to use some 20th century humor, both for its immediate “whiskey tango foxtrot, over” effect and for its shortcutting of the verschuggene mrglkrats of Fernplatz 5 problem.

Either that, or it was the medication I was on. Who knows? As I recall, Rob Prior liked it, and that counts for something.

Actually, there is one more thing. H&I was the only Traveller book that we ever printed from pure electronic files, rather than physical paste-up pages that were photographed at the printer. That made it the cleanest, crispest, and best-looking Traveller product we ever did. We also did one issue of Challenge as pure electrons.

The problem was that there is a learning curve in doing pure electronic submissions, and our printer would only let us continue doing electrons if we had fewer than X number of errors or redos per job, and on those our first two attempts, we could not meet that standard, so either they stopped letting us do it, or they charged us so much extra that we had to decline doing it again.

Q: Was Aliens of the Rim V2 in the works?

A: In the works, like anything written? No. In the works, like we knew what we intended it to be? Yes, but I don’t remember. It might have initially been some alien races down by the RC, but the thinking might have been revised to fit in with the Regency line. In the case of the former, it would have been something like the Vegans or Schalli, not the Solomani, as they ain’t aliens. If the latter, obviously something like Zhodani or Daryens or Smurfs.

Q: Why couldn't you (well, GDW) release the Long Ships before you went under? Arrrrgh! The one I wanted the most....

A: Well, because we went under, and my attention at that point was focused on getting some Regency products out. I think that after I got out the Regency Starship Guide I was going to go back to the RC and work on something like Longships or the Belly of the Beast epic, but I don’t remember for sure. And of course all of that stuff was subject to change and reprioritization of effort. For example, I was also typesetting and art directing some of our books at the end, which took away time from design.

Loren had been working on deckplans for clipper modules on the side for a long time, but it was still along way from being done. All of those modules had to have their designs carefully checked, and revised, etc., and the deckplans then varied off of those. I happen to know that Loren is still working on those deckplans, and hopes to get them out as some e-books in the near future, and I am trying to help him out with some of that.

Q: Back to the "questions for Dave": In his long editorial in Challenge #77 he mentions an "upcoming epic": a three-part campaign entitled Into the Belly of the Beast. It was going to take characters from the RC deep into Hiver space.

My question is: OK, sounds cool, NOW GIVE US THE GOSS on this campaign!!!

A: Goss? Was meint Goss? Originally, the last section/”chapter” of AotR1 H&R was going to be the opening act of “Into the Belly of the Beast,” where some RC characters are contacted by two Ithklur NPCs, “Heather” and “Joy,” who have something important to show the characters if the characters just follow them a few jumps trailward, into Hiver space.

The first book of the epic was going to be called “Terminal Manipulation.” Heather and Joy would lead the characters to a world on the Hiver frontier. This world had once been within Hiver space, but was part of the area that was lost to Virus, and is still not incorporated back into Hiver control. On this world there are some archeological digs going on that the players become involved in.

What they notice about these digs is that there was a civilization of humans on this planet in the past, although the planet has no sapient life now. Further research will show a layer of radioactive debris that shows that the human life was destroyed by a massive nuclear strike. Mo’ better further research can date this strike to the decade following first Hiver contact with Interstellar humans. The Hivers were attempting to manipulate this human race into another useful subject race when they realized that this would not look good to these new aggressive, expansionist interstellar humans, so the Hiver in charge invoked a terminal manipulation to destroy the evidence. Upon discovering this, the party and Ithklur realize that they were in fact pawns in another manipulation, and that there are Hivers springing a trap on them. Knowing that the Ithklur had discovered this site and would bring humans to see it, they had waited to capture the entire group and engage in another terminal manipulation to ensure that the secret stayed buried. “Terminal Manipulation” would end (assuming the players don’t dork it up) with their witnessing an ancient and rare ritual as the Ithklur ranking Exposer of Deceit exacts vengeance on their Hiver opponent, with the Hiver’s consent.

Subsequent installments of the story would take the party deeper into Hiver space, now with Hiver confederates where they will discover the truth about other deeply concealed subject human races in the Federation, as well as the truth about the Ithklur autonomous area, where live the untamed Ithklur, and their quid pro quo with their “masters” the Hivers. This would reveal the structure of the true relationship between Hiver and Ithklur, the nature of the “hands across the truth” organization, and provide the RC another ally in the form of the Ithklur who would eventually be instrumental in meeting the threat of the Black Curtain.

As I’ve said above, if there’s only one single thing I hate myself for being unable to finish, it’s the Hiver-Ithklur storyline. But I also hope that I can remember it all.

Q: Was there anything planned for a second FF&S book containing wet ship, exotic weapons and so on?

A: No, although there were other design sequences kicking around that probably would eventually have matured into a second volume of FF&S. However, books like FF&S take a buttload of time to design and test, and we felt that we had to spend more time on getting out adventures, predesigned items (vehicles, starships, etc.) and other campaign support rather than more gearhead stuff, as fun as that stuff was.

The problem with design sequences is that it is so hard to get good ones that really get at the true underlying engineering issues. We had a locomotive design sequence submitted to us that could give you numbers of wheels, but it didn’t address tractive effort, grades, radius of curvature, grate size based on fuel efficiency, etc., which if you are a rail buff you know is how locos got designed the way they were.

Similarly we had a couple wet ship design sequences which didn’t adequately get at hull form and length and its impact on speed (friction from wetted area vs. wave-making resistance) and which made too many assumptions on “the right way” to do a thing rather than allowing designers to explore alternatives and their impact on associated systems. For example, different US and Royal Navy practices in aircraft carrier design and the impact on the aircraft built to operate from them. And then you have to add atop all that the fact that in Traveller you’d have to design for different atmospheres, different oceans, etc. All of that stuff takes time to work out, and like I said, time was something we had to husband carefully.

Q: If given chance, would you write such a book? TNE rule compliant of course =0)

A: Without knowing what =0) means, in an ideal world, yes. In the prevailing world, as I’ve alluded above, it’s difficult for me to claim that I would have the time to devote to it.

That is the end of the questions that I saw posted on the topic.

That’s it for now, gentlemen and arsonists.

Until next time, still aboard the Starship Roxy Music,

David Freakin’ Nilsen
GDW Design 6 Emeritus
More than this, you know there’s nothing more than this.

God bless you all, and good night.

Gentlebeings!

I say ye David Nilsen (aka Dreadnought if you haven't figured that out).

OK, who's next. Shall we start a "What would you ask Frank Chadwick?" discussion?

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you went ahead and posted. My apologies for not getting back to you before now on this, I've been in home improvement hell for the past few weeks ;)

Hunter

Thanks for posting Dave, it is nice to see some answers to those questions from the TNE era. I especially appreciate the explanation of the Ithklur. A race basically shattered and insane from being manipulated. It gives a good reason for the strangeness of their description. Again thanks.

Thanks for stopping by and answer our questions. As you wrote in one of the posts I am one of those who was overwhelmed by the size of Traveller after I was introduced to it with MT. I bought the starter set early 88.

However I managed to scrounge most of the GDW CT publications the next few years. The support for the Rebellion campaign was abysmal to say the least, but the rules in general was very good and easy to learn.

When TNE was announced I was skeptic at the beginning because of the foreboding doom ahead. We had enough dark games. SO when I got wind of the upcomming Traveller seminar at GenCon in 92 I think it was, I scrounged up whatever money I had and got myself a ticket from Oslo to Milwaukee to participate at GenCon. I still remember the Harpoon battle we played in the Bay of Sitre(?) with a dozen other guys, and you and your friend driving me back to the hotell afterwards =0) (this is a smiley with cartoon eyes and chubby nose)

I loved the TNE material, and specially the gearheadness of it (in the real world [tm]) I am not as technical). I haven't explored the TNE universe properly as I am currently playing in the CT universe, but I plan to bring my players all the way through the Traveller history culminating with TNE sometime in the future. And I use TNE rulesett with a few twists as any good Traveller Heretic =0) (another smiley.... bla bla)

Thanks for surfacing and use some of your time on this board.

Thank you very much for posting Dave, it's been much appriciated. I apologise for all the people who have flamed you over the years. It has been a breath of fresh air to find out answers to questions that have been bugging me for many years. For the record I am a fan of TNE, I like the use of the GDW house rules and having trained as an engineer I really like FF&S. The campaigns I have run using TNE have been some of the most successful I have ever run. My son commented about TNE that a player character could 'make a difference' with their actions and 'make history, not read it'. My wife reckons that the Ithklur are the most fun aliens that she has played.

Thank you once again for taking the time to talk to us and braving the flamers. Please don't wait another ten years to talk to us again. Good luck in your future endeavours

Dave,

Even if you hinted otherwise, GDW surely is respected as a company that stayed true to quality. With a little perspective I think most gamers today long for the days you talk about when gamecompanies could be friends!

I never really understood some of the decisions GDW took with TNE, but your answers makes some of them much more sensible. The pressure of the comic distribution sounds like pure hell! Looking at your massive post here I guess you learned to type much and fast!

It's great to have you pop by and talk a bit. Even though Traveller fans are conservative bastards I can assure you that your work is not wholly unappreciated. TNE is not bad at all, and have its fans.

You're part of history after all, in the Cult of Traveller. Way to go, man.

Thanks for showing up!!

Good Sweet Strephon... first Joe Fugate and now Dave Nilsen...

I actually lived long enough to see what was behind the Black Curtain and learn about all the other Unfinished Business. Bari Stafford didn't, the poor SOB, but I was able to.

Here's a question for Martin and Hunter: Who is the next rabbit you'll pull from your hat?

Son of a Santanocheev... first Joe Fugate and now Dave Nilsen... Somebody pinch me...

Still mind boggled,
Bill Cameron

Oooo, it's a Dave Nilsen. I hear that they're rare.
file_23.gif
file_23.gif
Seriously, way cool to have another "ancient" here on the board!

EDIT: If questions are still being taken, then: If you could (and wanted to) go change one thing about the background, what would it be?

Originally posted by LKW:
Gentlebeings!

I say ye David Nilsen (aka Dreadnought if you haven't figured that out).

OK, who's next. Shall we start a "What would you ask Frank Chadwick?" discussion?
The first question? Well, I'll start, and it'll be just a variation on a theme. "Aside from the obvious 'someone from GDW', who is Frank Chadwick? And what has he done lately?

And, well,
file_23.gif

Dave,

I don't know if you are reading the followups, but just in case:

Thank you for answering the questions, even those needlessly hostile like mine.

Also, while you say you have never read what was done with your work in the GT Aliens module, I do want to mention that I think the result is one of the most coherent explanations of the Hiver I have seen.

Finally, thank you for the Regency Sourcebook. I am still impressed with the amount of information you put into it. And, whether you intended it or not, it also has an impressive amount of "depth". There is a lot to read between the lines.

Thank you all for your very kind posts. I hope to have time later this evening or tomorrow night to reply to some of them in more detail.

For now, let me say that yes, I will entertain further questions in what time is available to me. Actually, I might not get to do much tonight. This is my last night as president of my church (term limits, thank goodness), and we'll probably have a pretty long meeting setting up the new set of officers and portfolios. But I will be back.

Peace,

Dave

I have every confidence in the mission, Dave.

Wow, what a pleasure reading all this has been for me. Your writing always got me thinking and diving off into history & literature with renewed vigour, and for that I have always wanted to thank you. I still periodically reread Survival Margin for pleasure, would you believe. Thanks for posting your stuff here and continuing a fascinating train of thought I've been having this last decade.....

Many thanks,

Paul

Thank you David for taking the time to answer these questions and in such an in depth manner.

It will take a while to digest everything you've posted, and I'm sure some interesting discussions will result.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Err Why is Dave only a citizen Soc7 = Does his position justify noble elevation, if not ancient status?

David,

I personally appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions. Like Joe Fugate's posts, your answers give us a great insight into a particular era of Traveller production, a glimpe that I, for one, really enjoy.

You'd be surprised how many of your ideas run in tandom with what MJD has come up with for the TNE 1248 sourcebook. I know I was.

Thank you for you presence on these boards, and for talking with us fans after so long a time.

Keep On Travellin',
Flynn

Hunter,

Think you might give David and Joe a special title or something, maybe like "Ancient Artifact" or something like that. ;)

Hasta,
Flynn

And now back to the questions.

In your answer to the question about the RC vs Solee conflict you said to ask again as there may be more details.

Can you remember anything more about the conflict?

Back