• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

It's Not Canon!

Do you agree with any of these statements about the OTU?

• Total voters
THIS is canon.

6119003.JPG

No, that's a cannon. 3 n's.
2 n's, Canon, is a list from an authority on what is specific to some subject.

A Cathedral Canon are the lists of priests assigned to the Cathedral.
An Author's Canon is the lists of books they consider part of their specific setting(s).

Big boom-makers are double n's.

Educator's rant over. For now.

Cannon is derived from the Old Italian word cannone, meaning "large tube", which came from Latin canna, in turn originating from the Greek κάννα (kanna), "reed",[18] and then generalised to mean any hollow tube-like object; cognate with Akkadian qanu(m)[19] and Hebrew qāneh, "tube, reed".[20][21][22] The word has been used to refer to a gun since 1326 in Italy, and 1418 in England. Both of the plural forms cannons and cannon are correct and in common usage, with one or the other having preference in different parts of the English-speaking world. Cannons is more common in North America and Australia, while cannon as plural is more common in the United Kingdom.[20][23]

What is the difference between cannon and canon?
Noun

Cannon and canon are occasionally confused by writers, but the two words have independent origins, and do not share a meaning. Cannon is most frequently found used in the sense of "a large gun," and can be traced to the Old Italian word cannone, which means "large tube." Canon, however, comes from the Greek word kanōn, meaning "rule." Although canon has a variety of meanings, it is most often found in the senses of "a rule or law of a church," "an accepted rule," or "a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works." A loose cannon is "a dangerously uncontrollable person or thing." There are no loose canons.

I disagree.

although this is a fun thread to read, I couldn't do a vote for the simple reason that I have no serious opinion an any of the subjects to vote on, except for the under 100 dT jump capable ship.

I came across a PDF of TNE 1248 where it mentions that small jump ships under 100 dTons are possible, but dangerous due to a lack of understanding about such small ships being able to jump safely. I think probably something to do with the jump field, or jump drives, or what ever. I think, at least in any game I played with Jump Ships this small would require a mis-jump chance in addition to Astrogation checks.

I like using the T20 Rules for ship building, and although the M Drives can be made pretty small, the minimum is one Jump Drive Unit, which can't be reduced in size, plus the fuel for it. (a 100 dT Ship requires 2 Jump Drive Units in comparison)

because of the dangers of using Small Jump Craft, they are usually Government owned, or by the Wealthy or even those who like to fly dangerously from one system to another. because they do have a chance to misjump, they are not really good for commercial use, but smugglers on the other hand...

I also had a little fun tinkering with making a Small Jump Ship, to see how small or big I could go and what could actually go on these small J ships, and thinking of what could they be used for.

I also had a little fun tinkering with making a Small Jump Ship, to see how small or big I could go and what could actually go on these small J ships, and thinking of what could they be used for.

In the MgT1e "Secrets of the Ancients" IIRC the Ancients use them as tiny x-Boats before they perfect portal technology in the dream sequence chapter... could just be a lie as Grandfather lies very easily when it suits his purposes.

1. Having a minimum of one tonne for all engineering does permit the one tonne jump drive, does make a fifty (two percent/factor one), thirty three and a third (three percent/factor two), and maybe twenty five (four percent/factor three) tonne starships.

2. I always thought having it absolutely at minimum hundred tonnes was wrong, and that it should just be subject to an increasing chance of misjumping.

3. However, there's also the reversion to default minimum ten tonne jump drive, with five tonne overhead, and five tonne core/capacitors, and two and a half percent volume per jump factor, which basically gives you two hundred parsec tonnes, which seems a waste not to fully utilize.

4. The other default minimums are a ten tonne bridge, an organic woke presence, and ten percent fuel tank, so about thirty tonnes.

Back