• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Kickstarter Campaign Live!

The list of species appearing as Crew in the Aliens of the Imperium expansion pack is:

Aslan

Beree

Bwap

Darrian

Droyne

Hiver

Hhkar

Lamura Teg/Gav (single card)

Ursa

Vargr

Virushi

Vegan

In choosing these species, we tried to represent both the Major and Minor races, as well as some that were prominent in the sources, along with a few others a bit more obscure. In the case of the Lamura, it will be their first official art.

Don't see your favorite on the list? Hopefully we'll get to them in a future set.

We also wanted to provide a first look at one of the aliens, so here's the Hhkar pilot!

Hhkar.md.jpg

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Nice Firefly tribute there...
For those not in the know - the Hkar are essentially dinosaurs... And Wash, the Pilot on Firefly, wears aloha shirts and plays with plastic dino figuress, while this dino wears aloha shirts and plays with plastic human figures.

The kickstarter page shows last update on Aug 8, looks like they finished the playmats. No indication on what else is needed in order to start shipping.

Funny thing is the playmats aren't listed as a perk in any of the backer/pledge levels.

It has arrived!

This afternoon with me in Scotland. Good quality components etc; need to get my head round the rules but perhaps not today (already started Pandemic Legacy S2 today and have a six player twilight imperium 4E planned for tomorrow!)

There's a 4e of Twilight Imperium? The 3e game is nuts. One hour-per-player length games!

Advanced Civ typically ran us 2 hours per player, and supremacy 2-5 hours per player.

Pax Britannia was 5 hours with familiar players; those new often slowed it to 12.

I miss those halcyon days.

Has no one played Fifth Frontier War? The shortest game I ever played in lasted a weekend.

I too received TI4 for Christmas, haven't had the time to play it yet unfortunately.

Yes - just new as a Christmas present. Supposed to be streamlined compared to 3E but never played it. Had a 4 player with wife and 2 kids on Hogmanay that took us about 6 hours. Playing today with 6, including 2 very prone to AP. Wish me luck!

Yes - just new as a Christmas present. Supposed to be streamlined compared to 3E but never played it. Had a 4 player with wife and 2 kids on Hogmanay that took us about 6 hours. Playing today with 6, including 2 very prone to AP. Wish me luck!

How did it go?

Great. I came second last!

We went seven turns, and played from 14:40 to 21:15 with a short break for the curry I had prepared. Three players on 8 VP were overtaken by the fourth on 7 who took over Mecatol Rex and then the next action scored the imperial card (giving him 1 VP and allowing him to score a two point objective from the public objectives).

All players enjoyed it, my 11 year old lasted the distance, they said it didn’tfeel like 6 and a half hours. One of them even said he dreamt of plastic spaceships last night.

It is too big and unwieldy to play more than once or twice a year, but great fun!

Just received my set. Looks good. Reading through the rules now.
The Lovely and Talented Mrs. Grav_MoPed is sorting and sleeving the cards as I type...

(Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA.)

I cracked it open, looked at some of the cards, and read the rules. It's fairly complicated for a CCG. It requires a whole bunch of tokens for play, which gives me pause.

It's built around a mission structure. Multiple players (generally 2-5) all play captains, each with a ship, trying to complete missions. You can add complications to each other's missions. There's a sense of "ship economics" where you have to pay for stuff and not go broke.

It looks fun, but in many ways feels a lot like a strategy board game with cards. It'll be interesting to see how the deck building aspect of it plays out.

The starter set gives you two full decks so you can play head-to-head with another person. If you want to start customizing, you'd need to combines the decks for better cards. I assume they'll sell new card packs eventually?

It does seem like a board game via cards. I also got the alien deck, so yes, they do (or will) sell additional decks. Which is where the deck building comes in.

I bought it in the hopes that it would have some cards I could actually use while playing Traveller (weapon cards) just for some visual appeal (well, and sadly I am a sucker for anything Traveller related as well as a Kickstarter addict...). Alas, no. So while there are some solo rules, it will probably just stay boxed up and looked at on occasion.

Back