• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Leitz's CT and Striker mashup

Leitz

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award
Baron
Feel free to help me improve the system. These are the current rules Ben Webb is using to clear out pirates on the Abandonment.

Rule 68A Conflict Resolution

I prefer fewer charts and such during the running of a game. Preferably all I need is the details at hand and then go from there. This process aims to scratch that itch. It also aims to integrate Rule 68A and some ideas from Striker combat.

In Traveller, characters have skills. In Striker they have Morale. The ability to focus under stress seems important in the majority of combat and skill performance. Reference Lanny Bassham’s “With Winning in Mind”.

With Rule 68A, if a task is easy you need a 6+. Medium difficulty an 8+, and very difficult a 10+ on 2d6. The “A” represents the hexidecimal notation for 10. Shooting while active, or being shot at, is a Medium Difficulty task.

Let’s start with a combat baseline. A character who knows the basics of a gun can shoot someone at effetive range on an 8+. That assumes they have a Skill-0 in that weapon type and that there are no modifiers. For shooting we’re going to have three ranges and the required roll to hit: Effective (8+), Long (10+), and Extreme (12+). Take that further if necessary. To make things simple, we’re going to use the range twice. Actual Range (AR) is the physical distance between shooter and target. Effective Range (ER) is the adjusted sense of range based on AR and modifiers.

For example, if a target is physically at Effective Range (8+) but is fairly well hidden by a solid object that would stop the shot, then the roll treats them at Long Range (10+). Think about that for just a second. It eliminates a lot of the math and trying to remember if something is a +1 or a +3. It suggests, but needs to be tested, if you want something to slide off the scale as becoming impossible. Or the results actions shift down.

Aiming, or “Called Shots”

Shooters can declare "Aiming" for X amount of "shots". If the shots aimed for exceed the "hits rolled" that round, no shot is taken. As long as the same target is trackable the Aiming builds from one turn to the next. For each X, add +2 to the Damage Roll.

Example: A pirate is hiding behind a wall of slaves, for two shifts of Difficulty. "To Hit" due to cover. Ben "Aims" for 2 "shots" and pulls the trigger on a third. As long as his total "To Hit" roll gives three shots he does a normal hit that round. Otherwise the shot is taken when Ben has a total of 3 shots.

Ben rolls a total of 10 the first round. Too much movement, too risky. In the next round Ben rolls another 10. Two shots. His first one hits the pirate cowering behind the slaves and he has a second shot for another pirate.

Let’s make some more generalizations. How are weapons supported? Generally by one of four ways. Appendage, Body, Ground, or Permanent. Someone holding a pistol has an appendage mounted weapon. They can only shoot at Effective Range. A rifle that is used normally is more supported and can go to Long Range. Using a rifle with a bipod is Ground supported and can go to Extreme range. A pintle mounted .50 caliber can also go to extreme range but it does more damage. People who game the system and try to mount a pistol onto a vehicle need to not do that.

Mixing Skills and Morale

Skill from CT is the ability to understand the weapon system and extrapolate about it. A person with a Rifle-1 skill can break the weapon down, clean it, and make some rough guesses on bullet drop based on range, gravity, and ammo selection.

Ability to inflict damage is based off Morale for all weapons a character is familiar with. The weapon systems don't require a lot of thought to operate.

"To Know" is Skill. "To Hit" is Morale.

I can see the attraction of simplification in general.

A lot of my task modifiers are in terms of shifting up or down but since I have a wider range then 68A and the extremes are not -2/+2 I get different results then other systems.

The aimed shot mechanism loses me with the building up of the aim. At a certain point you have maxed out what you can achieve with taking your time, either you have the skill to get it right or you don't. I do believe in eliminating evade in that you can't be avoiding shots if you are concentrating on aiming.

Totally not on board with skill is know, morale is to hit. Morale level in Striker IIRC is tied to both 'time in service/combat' and translates to a skill level for to hit, so the distinction is lost to me and not worth the trouble.

I'm losing a good bit of granularity, admittedly. Others prefer more detail.

Actually, Skill-0 in the average weapon at that weapon's average range is quite enough to hit critical center of mass given reasonable time and reduced stress. The average handgun at 7 meters can put everything in a decimeter sized circle. Skill plays less than the ability to overcome stress.

We use 15 second combat rounds and the additional hit count seems well within possibilities. Here's a 38 second video of a 3 gun shooter doing quite nicely.

I shoot competitively and generally the winners are less about pure skill and more about keeping their basic skills running as fast as they can and not letting their mind get off track. Given a little more time I can easily duplicate their target scores. It's the time factor that counts. Competition shooting isn't really being shot at but it's a fun way to create stress and see how you perform.

On the "Max adjustments for Aiming", yeah, there's a point of diminishing returns. The average shooter can aim a benchrest rifle at a man sized target 200 meters away and hit it all day. However, most targets don't sit still, they seek cover or run screaming for their lives. So you can take 27 "hits" of preparation but the target will be long gone and the fight will be long over. The shooter has to balance aiming and results.

Make sense?

Ever try target shooting with the target shooting back? :devil:

There is a reason target shooting accuracy is several orders of magnitude better than real combat statistics.

Base your numbers on target shooting and you get a very cinematic game. Base them on real numbers and players will complain :)

Last edited:
Ever try target shooting with the target shooting back?

There is a reason target shooting accuracy is several orders of magnitude better than real combat statistics.

Agreed. My thoughts come from competition, reading, and learning from LEO/MIL. I'm NOT an "operator", don't play one on TV, and haven't been in a Motel 6 for a while. I do pay attention when the LEO/MIL folks say USPSA style competition helps them keep their edge. Maybe it's "wannabees" listening to "hasbeens". Still...

I enjoy USPSA style competition; there's an element of speed, stress, full load recoil, and old fat guys huffing and puffing down the range. There's a big difference between Bullseye rimfire and USPSA, and another big difference up to kinetic engagement.

Let's take kilemall's question about the Aiming from the other side. If you're the person being aimed at, and if you can, moving will be useful. That puts you up in difficulty as a target, so they need a 10+ to hit at effective range. You move to cover and they can't hit you, you can't hit them. Pop out just enough to shoot and you're still at a 10+ to be hit due to cover.

Let's say you're doing a snap shot. That makes you less likely to hit and if you're popping in and out of cover less likely to be hit. So, pop out, shoot, back to cover. If you're both doing that you're at 12+ to hit. Most NPCs, and even PCs, don't have a Morale of "Regular", which signifies someone engaged in operations for X terms plus 1d6. If you use LBB 4 it's much easier.

So, at 12+ each you have 2.77% chance to hit if the Dark Forest chart is correct. Even if one or both is at Regular Morale you're only 8.33% likely to roll 11+. In most situations one side or the other will need to find a significant advantage or run like heck before they run out of ammo

Does the 68A/Striker mashup simulate actual combat? I doubt it. It seems to work for games and stories, though I'm sure there's room for improvement.

I don't like 68A because 2 just isn't enough of a gap between target numbers and a skill of +2 seriously affects the result.

I personally use two target numbers for combat (and other skill use) 8+ and 12+

Well, might as well throw out there that I have been considering a move to +2 uninterrupted aiming which would include sniper aims, +2 for stationary and uncovered target, and -2 for under fire/snapshot which would include the cover DM.

Makes ambushes much more lethal and desirable, takes extreme range out of most fights except for supporting heavy arms or surprise flankers, fights will still be over in a minute but much more likely the side with tactics skill and talent will win, but being in motion helps survival when cover is not available and above all fire suppression is a thing.

While I suppose there is a nuance that Rifle-4 may mean Little Lord Fauntleroy of Foreven may have misspent his noble youth at the firing range and will cringe in a real gunfight, I'd rather assume that most skills are doing rather then knowing and you don't get to be that good without having been in stressed situations.

Even if that stress is the Sector Nobility Matches once a decade, or shooting Rigellian Metatigers on a hunt rather then battle.

Back