• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Snub Pistol Errata

What, no comments about the 20 round magazine for the revolver!?
From the OP: "More expensive pure combat versions of the snub pistol are available, generally in the auto-
matic pistol configuration with extended magazines holding up to twenty rounds."
So, the 20-round magazine isn't for a revolver. :)

A HE bullet that was 50% lead and 50% C4 [I had to start somewhere with a guesstimate] would have a density of about 7 grams/cc to the 11 grams/cc of lead. That would transform the 10mm 7 gram lead bullet into a 4.5 gram lead/C4 bullet.

HE tend to be around 2 grams per CC. actually lower than that, but with a detonating system 2 works.

Also Note the velcocity range of 100 - 150 meters per second puts it firmly in the realm of a Part Marker gun..

Coupled to the above a .68cal Paintball is 3 grams, so a pill shaped "double" ball round would be around 7 grams.

So a pretty solid base to deliver a payload over short ranges...

HE tend to be around 2 grams per CC.
That would be the actual Explosive itself, right?
(I found 1.5 g/cc to 1.75 g/cc for plasticized explosives in my search).

The hollow metallic bullet encasing the HE would be heavier and increase the average. (IMHO)

At that small of a mass, and since there's no real room for any form of initiator or fuzing system (maybe we're going sub-miniature circuits with some form of spin-actuated safe/arm function), and not to mention critical diameters, you're most likely looking not at a plasticized explosive such as C4, but something closer to a primary/sensitive high explosive like a more-advanced version of PETN or some of the more esoteric chemicals.

Coupled to the above a .68cal Paintball is 3 grams, so a pill shaped "double" ball round would be around 7 grams.

So a pretty solid base to deliver a payload over short ranges...
I agree (and was originally looking at starting from the 7g and 100 mps as the given) however, the 30 grams for 6 rounds gets repeated in the description in Mercenary, the data table in Mercenary, the table in Striker, the table in Snapshot and probably in some adventures or magazine articles, too. That’s a lot of places to change if we increase the weight of a bullet above 5 grams. Reducing the 7 grams that only appears in the description seems the “low hanging fruit” for errata.

The problem with the paintball comparison is .68 cal is 17 mm (quite a bit larger than 10mm), so a 10mm 7 gram double ball will be VERY long. Also, paintballs shoot at only 22 meters per second and may go SPLAT at 100 mps.
I will still be looking at the “long paintball” idea … I just see it as having some innate problems from the start.

That would be the actual Explosive itself, right?
(I found 1.5 g/cc to 1.75 g/cc for plasticized explosives in my search).

The hollow metallic bullet encasing the HE would be heavier and increase the average. (IMHO)
I don't see any reason for a metallic coating.... other than provide very minimal fragmentation.

Also consider the nature of the other rounds available, a coating tough enough to survive the propellant should be enough.

At that small of a mass, and since there's no real room for any form of initiator or fuzing system (maybe we're going sub-miniature circuits with some form of spin-actuated safe/arm function), and not to mention critical diameters, you're most likely looking not at a plasticized explosive such as C4, but something closer to a primary/sensitive high explosive like a more-advanced version of PETN or some of the more esoteric chemicals.
Well those are along my line of reasoning as well..

I agree, but had no data on density (or volume ratio of shell to charge). I use what I can Google as a starting point. ;)
Any idea the density of PETN?

I agree (and was originally looking at starting from the 7g and 100 mps as the given) however, the 30 grams for 6 rounds gets repeated in the description in Mercenary, the data table in Mercenary, the table in Striker, the table in Snapshot and probably in some adventures or magazine articles, too. That’s a lot of places to change if we increase the weight of a bullet above 5 grams. Reducing the 7 grams that only appears in the description seems the “low hanging fruit” for errata.

The problem with the paintball comparison is .68 cal is 17 mm (quite a bit larger than 10mm), so a 10mm 7 gram double ball will be VERY long. Also, paintballs shoot at only 22 meters per second and may go SPLAT at 100 mps.
I will still be looking at the “long paintball” idea … I just see it as having some innate problems from the start.
Heh... Ever measured a Nerf Gun dart?

Though recently with the number of "high power" Nerf guns using half length darts I might have to revise my earlier statements...

I agree, but had no data on density (or volume ratio of shell to charge). I use what I can Google as a starting point. ;)
Any idea the density of PETN?
In the ball park of C4 and the like. I can think of at least three different "Plastic" explosives that use PETN and or RDX really the issue starts to fall into decompensation rates rather than mass.....

I don't see any reason for a metallic coating.... other than provide very minimal fragmentation.

Also consider the nature of the other rounds available, a coating tough enough to survive the propellant should be enough.
I was thinking that SOMETHING needs to survive the chamber pressure of the propellant charge and a 0 to 100 m/s acceleration in 8 cm (my guess at a 4” barrel). [over 6000 Gees acceleration]

I located something interesting in my Google search for something else ... Information on the .41 Short Rimfire Cartridge for use in Derringers:

According to Cartridges of the World, the .41 Rimfire consisted of a 130 grain (8.4 g) lead bullet propelled by 13 grains (0.8 g) of black powder in its original load. The round produced a muzzle velocity of 425 feet per second (130 m/s) and a muzzle energy of 52 foot-pounds force (71 J).​

8 grams at 130 m/s (71 Joules) for a weapon designed to be compact, short range and low recoil seems like a TL 4 "kissing cousin" to the Traveller Snub Pistol. By TL 8, they had better PROJECTILES to shoot!

I located something interesting in my Google search for something else ... Information on the .41 Short Rimfire Cartridge for use in Derringers:

According to Cartridges of the World, the .41 Rimfire consisted of a 130 grain (8.4 g) lead bullet propelled by 13 grains (0.8 g) of black powder in its original load. The round produced a muzzle velocity of 425 feet per second (130 m/s) and a muzzle energy of 52 foot-pounds force (71 J).​

8 grams at 130 m/s (71 Joules) for a weapon designed to be compact, short range and low recoil seems like a TL 4 "kissing cousin" to the Traveller Snub Pistol. By TL 8, they had better PROJECTILES to shoot!
I really think you are over thinking this....

For the record the MT treatment of this in Traveller's Digest 17 gives different magazine weights for each type of round.

I realize that I have been accused of overthinking this, but "in for a penny, in for a pound" ... ;)

I was attempting to guesstimate the Barrel Length and took a look at the artwork and statistics for weapon length.

Did anyone ever notice that most Traveller pistols (irrespective of type) are only 100 mm, That is less than 4 inches in American measure. You cannot find ANY revolver that is under 4 inches total length. The hand grip and trigger is about 4 inches. Handguns should be about 150mm length for the short ones.

Just saying ...

[This holds for CT and MegaTraveller ... what sort of Wargamers were they? :p]

Last edited:
For the record the MT treatment of this in Traveller's Digest 17 gives different magazine weights for each type of round.
I checked it out and it contains errata of its own (dividing the weight of the reload by the number of rounds yields different weights for the identical round in a revolver vs a pistol - it is lighter in a pistol). :unsure:
[Plus the artwork is better than the core rules description ... not a 100 mm gun].

Par for the course.

Back