• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Looking for a T5 Review.

I'm a CT fan, but...hey. It's Marc Miller and Traveller, together again!

I don't think I can pass this one up.

I have been following this not at all. I really know nothing about T5. Is it still using the T4-ish task system? I hope not. That's one of those systems where the players always know the task number (skill + Stat, roll under with several D6....difficulty by the number of D6 thrown), and that's not a good thing for a story-telling, roleplay oriented GM like myself. I want my players glued to my description of what takes place in the game. That description loses its edge if the player already knows the success of his throw.

That was several years ago when I saw T5 using the updated T4 task sytem, though. Man, I hope that was changed.

So, can someone post a good, solid, unbiased review of T5?

I'm real eager to read it. And, I'm holding off on my purchase until I know a bit more about the game.

I'll gladly give a review of the game once the following occur.

1) I receive the book
2) have a chance to read and digest the 600+ pages
3) have run a group through character creation
4) have run at least 4 sessions of mixed activity

Number 4 is ideal but may not be practical given how full our game plate is right now.

I'm a CT fan, but...hey. It's Marc Miller and Traveller, together again!

I don't think I can pass this one up.

I have been following this not at all. I really know nothing about T5. Is it still using the T4-ish task system? I hope not. That's one of those systems where the players always know the task number (skill + Stat, roll under with several D6....difficulty by the number of D6 thrown), and that's not a good thing for a story-telling, roleplay oriented GM like myself. I want my players glued to my description of what takes place in the game. That description loses its edge if the player already knows the success of his throw.

That was several years ago when I saw T5 using the updated T4 task sytem, though. Man, I hope that was changed.

So, can someone post a good, solid, unbiased review of T5?

I'm real eager to read it. And, I'm holding off on my purchase until I know a bit more about the game.

T4-ish task system: Yes.

Excessive details: not quite to FF&S levels, but yes.

RMSS, RM2, RMC, or the new URM?

In any case I can't wait to dig in.

Combat does seem to resemble RM. In particular, there are different types of damage, and correspondingly, different types of protection. Although attacks in RM are as much like High Guard combat as T5.

And though it's anecdotal, one guy in our group knows SpaceMaster well, and doesn't think T5 resembles it at all.

On the other hand, like RoleMaster, Traveller5 covers a wide range of situations, and so many of these rules are specialized and therefore uncommon or optional.

Hypocrite! :p

Remember, we're not quite public yet... :file_21:
And this from Mister "What weighs four pounds and fifteen ounces." and "It's sitting on my table.".

Can I assume there will be some sort of formal announcement when we can get into the details?

Combat does seem to resemble RM. In particular, there are different types of damage, and correspondingly, different types of protection. Although attacks in RM are as much like High Guard combat as T5.

And though it's anecdotal, one guy in our group knows SpaceMaster well, and doesn't think T5 resembles it at all.

On the other hand, like RoleMaster, Traveller5 covers a wide range of situations, and so many of these rules are specialized and therefore uncommon or optional.

Obviously you failed your "Read Analogy Roll"...

Classic is to T5 as little-book D&D is to Rolemaster.

The book and final CD haven't been shipped, yet. Marc is wading through 7 tons of books in his basement or garage or something even as I type... so until everyone who supported it on Kickstarter has it, it's not quite officially out. Although Don has his copy.

I gotcha. Wait until the Kickstarter boys get it, then talk about it?

I still don't understand why the Kickstarter club would care whether there's discussion or not...but, OK.

I don't have my book yet, anyway.

I suspect that by the time you get your book, we'll have opened the T5 public forum.

Back