• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MT Q&A with Marc Millier

Originally posted by DED:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by daryen:
Of course they won't be DN's answers, but he's had over a decade to say something, assuming he actually cared to.
DN stated on the TNE ml years ago (for the brief time he was on it), that he wasn't going to just flat out answer those questions because he claimed simple answers wouldn't be sufficient. Apparently the "answers" required long detailed explanations that only a sourcebook would do it justice.</font>[/QUOTE]I knew what DN's reason was, but I still feel that if he had any intention of explaining himself, then he could have figured out a way before a decade had gone by.

I could easily be wrong about that, but that is how it appears to me.

Of course they won't be DN's answers, but he's had over a decade to say something, assuming he actually cared to.
DN stated on the TNE ml years ago (for the brief time he was on it), that he wasn't going to just flat out answer those questions because he claimed simple answers wouldn't be sufficient. Apparently the "answers" required long detailed explanations that only a sourcebook would do it justice.</font>[/QUOTE]I knew what DN's reason was, but I still feel that if he had any intention of explaining himself, then he could have figured out a way before a decade had gone by.

Originally posted by daryen:
The disconnect is that the "Real Strephon" was originally (i.e. when the MT box came out) intended to be a fake. It was only after numerous fans begged for the "Real Strephon" to be real that GDW relented and made him actually Strephon.
[/QB]
Didn't I read that this was LKW's idea? If so, it doesn't sound (from what I know) like a 'fan' idea. It might have been popular, mind you.

And in my world, I had him as a clone of the real guy... so in a sense he was the 'real' Strephon, just not the original. Heck, the original may not have been the original, but prior deaths were not so public so could be hushed up. (Read Chris Bunch and ? Cole's books - the Sten Series - their Emperor had this kind of gig going and made it work for a long time).

Interesting side issue: Since we don't see 'eternal emperors' in history, was Strephon the first one to try this out? Was the clone a good copy... or maybe a bit flawed?

The disconnect is that the "Real Strephon" was originally (i.e. when the MT box came out) intended to be a fake. It was only after numerous fans begged for the "Real Strephon" to be real that GDW relented and made him actually Strephon.
[/QB]
Didn't I read that this was LKW's idea? If so, it doesn't sound (from what I know) like a 'fan' idea. It might have been popular, mind you.

And in my world, I had him as a clone of the real guy... so in a sense he was the 'real' Strephon, just not the original. Heck, the original may not have been the original, but prior deaths were not so public so could be hushed up. (Read Chris Bunch and ? Cole's books - the Sten Series - their Emperor had this kind of gig going and made it work for a long time).

Interesting side issue: Since we don't see 'eternal emperors' in history, was Strephon the first one to try this out? Was the clone a good copy... or maybe a bit flawed?

[/QB]

Originally posted by kaladorn:
Per LKW on the TML a couple years ago, the original idea for the "real" Strephon was that he was a transparent fraud, inspired (LKW is a big history buff) by Pugachev, an 18th century Russian peasant revolutionary who claimed to actually be murdered Tsar Peter III. However, fan sentiment convinced GDW to change the story and make the real Strephon really real. AFAIK it's still uncertain when this change of plan actually occurred (note that even as late as Hard Times (1991) it is strongly implied that "the real Strephon" is anything but).

I wish I could find Loren's original message to the TML but I'm at work, my stored copy of the original message is at home, and the search function on the TML Archives isn't helping. :( :confused:

Per LKW on the TML a couple years ago, the original idea for the "real" Strephon was that he was a transparent fraud, inspired (LKW is a big history buff) by Pugachev, an 18th century Russian peasant revolutionary who claimed to actually be murdered Tsar Peter III. However, fan sentiment convinced GDW to change the story and make the real Strephon really real. AFAIK it's still uncertain when this change of plan actually occurred (note that even as late as Hard Times (1991) it is strongly implied that "the real Strephon" is anything but).

I wish I could find Loren's original message to the TML but I'm at work, my stored copy of the original message is at home, and the search function on the TML Archives isn't helping. :( :confused:

One very interesting theme of the Rebellion and Hard Times is that information becomes increasingly untrustworthy as the Imperium dissolves. The final culmination of that theme is of course Virus.

And of course, as long as it's not written in the "true background", it can remain the referee's choice. Wait -- what am I saying? Even if it's written as "true background" the ref can always claim political spin...

One very interesting theme of the Rebellion and Hard Times is that information becomes increasingly untrustworthy as the Imperium dissolves. The final culmination of that theme is of course Virus.

And of course, as long as it's not written in the "true background", it can remain the referee's choice. Wait -- what am I saying? Even if it's written as "true background" the ref can always claim political spin...

An interesting interview. Despite my enthusiasm for Traveller I have no real interest in game design, but am grateful for a behind the scenes look at some of Traveller's history.

Myself, I never really understodd the entire flap regarding MT; with both players and designers. Largely because I've always seen it as the best incarnation of the system (some of the artwork not withstanding). I thought the task system was sorely lacking in CT, and was ever so thankful that MWM and DGP came up with a task system. I'm glad to have read the history about it, but I still don't understand why a task system was not implimented in the original system. Was it lack of forethought? A slip of the mind? Perhaps this could be one of the questions in a followup interview?

Oh well. Thanks for the interview.

An interesting interview. Despite my enthusiasm for Traveller I have no real interest in game design, but am grateful for a behind the scenes look at some of Traveller's history.

Myself, I never really understodd the entire flap regarding MT; with both players and designers. Largely because I've always seen it as the best incarnation of the system (some of the artwork not withstanding). I thought the task system was sorely lacking in CT, and was ever so thankful that MWM and DGP came up with a task system. I'm glad to have read the history about it, but I still don't understand why a task system was not implimented in the original system. Was it lack of forethought? A slip of the mind? Perhaps this could be one of the questions in a followup interview?

Wow. This thread brings back memories. Makes me excited to run again.

Interesting to know MM initiated the rebellion. Have to bring that up next time I get in with in with some CT diehard down on MT... ;)

Wow. This thread brings back memories. Makes me excited to run again.

Interesting to know MM initiated the rebellion. Have to bring that up next time I get in with in with some CT diehard down on MT... ;)

Back