• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules sets..

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
While the main boards might be kinda more appropriate, here is where I am going to start this. In that I am ore interested in rules that work with figures.

What rules sets do you all like?

I have been farting around with 5 Parsecs from Home, Snapshot and AHL recently for ground stuff...

And FullThrust and Power Projection for ships. Notably using the original cinematic movement system.

While the main boards might be kinda more appropriate, here is where I am going to start this. In that I am ore interested in rules that work with figures.

What rules sets do you all like?

I have been farting around with 5 Parsecs from Home, Snapshot and AHL recently for ground stuff...

And FullThrust and Power Projection for ships. Notably using the original cinematic movement system.
Have you looked at Stargrunt II for 25mm. or Dirtside II at Ground Zero Games? They are both free at their website.

Have you looked at Stargrunt II for 25mm. or Dirtside II at Ground Zero Games? They are both free at their website.
Heh... Yes....

It didn't happen here, but recently I was involved in a long set of rambling discussions about using Traveller for the Tuffley-verse and visa versa.

With a liberal reading of More Thrust and Dirtside you can generally work out things both ways.

To be real honest the Traveller in my head looks a lot like Tuffley-verse, and well Aliens and CT....

It depends on what you are doing with your rules. Player Characters vs. the Cult of Informal Tarnishing needs a much separate set of rules than a couple of platoons of TL11 troopers trying to stop a Zhodani recon group from getting back to their ship.

It depends on what you are doing with your rules. Player Characters vs. the Cult of Informal Tarnishing needs a much separate set of rules than a couple of platoons of TL11 troopers trying to stop a Zhodani recon group from getting back to their ship.
That's a good question.

I tend to focus on skirmish scale actions with one figure per combatant... I.e. RPGish actions.

If you are working with your Player Characters in skirmish actions, then I cannot recommend Five Parsecs highly enough. The hit bonuses almost directly correlate with Traveller weapon skill levels, and the Rulesgiver is a Traveller player himself. The whole game is essentially a Traveller campaign rendered as a solo miniatures game.

Let me follow my last comment with a line from the Designer's Notes to Five Parsecs From Home, 2nd edition:

"A set of scifi campaign rules for the sort of “Traveller meets Firefly by way of Trigun” gaming I always fancied but never found great rules for."

I use Striker with my own hit location affects applied armor/damage possible twist. So a PGMP hit may take your leg off but not kill you, whereas a pistol shot to the head might especially if not armored.

Back