• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Sargasso's of Space

As for the Sargasso, it seems to me that there is a "Calibration Point" somewhere in the earlier charts of the Spinward Marches that makes astrogation through that part of space a rather tricky affair.

There are two places like this.
The Lanth Horseshoe has rumors and some write ups of ships missing and weird happenings in J-Space. (See Challenge 44 & 46)
The Republic of Garoo has an unusually large, if not all that potent, navy because their system has a "misjump magnet" and they salvage anything that has shown up there since it was discovered. There are rumors that they are wreckers killing the crews that survive the misjump, or that they are just very bold pirates who use the whole "misjump magnet" story to cover their seizures.

AKA E.C. Tubbs.

I turned this into an adventure I ran at Travellercon a few years ago.

Is that one on Project Gutenberg?

Going back to Sabrina Chase's deep space sargasso, I'll admit to preferring a real space rather than a J-space version, mostly because the "so near and yet so far" atmosphere of such a location is quite chilling.

To expand on the details of her version, you have the Ancient device at the center of a rough sphere of derelict spacecraft about 1-2000 km in diameter. The ships themselves are more or less at rest relative to the device, but randomly scattered around it. There are clumps here and there, usually where a ship's artificial gravity systems are still operational acting to draw other ships in the vicinity closer over time, but most ships are about a day or so's travel apart.

Back