• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Some Interesting Military Data

My son completed what the US Army refers to as BCT or basic combat training late in 2011 and went on to become a Cavalry Scout. His personal experience was a surprise to me. I asked him about bayonet training and he explained that it has been removed from the US Army by TRADOC. The explanation provided was that trainers and drill sergeants requested the change so they could focus on training that was likely to be useful.

As a former US Marine, after getting over the shock that one of my children had enlisted in the US Army, nothing else he could say after that really surprised me.

When I was trained back in 1984 we benefitted from bayonet training both from a combat training aspect and a physical fitness/team building aspect.
When I was an LT in the old Canal Zone in 1978-1980 on the Atlantic side, we practiced with fixed bayonets (without scabbard) in our riot training for the turnover of the Panama Canal. We would "practice" against other units in the Battalion and/or Brigade. We did have several deaths on the drill field which led to the mandatory use of scabbards on our bayonets. I was a prior enlisted Marine and was able to get pugil sticks for training of my platoon(s). I used the pugil sticks as a crude disciplinary exercise with several individuals who were involved in barrack fights. I told my Platoon Sergeant to draw the items from the supply room, grab a medic, and take the men to a remote location to "settle" the dispute, while I made myself scarce. Needless to say, there were just a few incidents afterward.

Here you go, Mike. The poster takes no responsibility whatsoever as to the use which individuals who download this manual may make use of the material in the manual.
OSS Weapons June 1944.png

You can find the manual here as it is too large to post.

The following comes from the official history of the Army Air Force during World War 2, Volume 6, Men and Planes. It give the aircraft strength and manning requirement for AAF combat groups in early 1945. Norms for AAF Combat Groups-Feb1945.jpg
It is not the easiest image to read, and I will try to post a better PDF file.

Here is a much better copy of the combat group organization of the AAF in World War 2. It is taken from The Army Air Forces in World War II, Volume 6 Men and Planes. It can be downloaded here: https://media.defense.gov/2010/Nov/05/2001329891/-1/-1/0/AFD-101105-019.pdf

The volume covers the production record for the AAF beginning with Chapter 10, on page 331, and includes the production numbers and the average cost by year of the aircraft. It actually is interesting reading. I have uploaded a PNG image and also the same thing in PDF format for downloading. I will see what I can do for earlier organization as of 1925, and also for the World War One period. It just takes time.WW2 AAF Groups.png
Feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• WW2 AAF Groups.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 5
I was looking at this for a totally different game thread, Civ3 Fanatics Creation and Customization thread, and I thought that this would be good to post here, as I view it as the most dramatic parachute drop during all of World War 2, the parachute attack on Corregidor in February of 1945.

I was looking at this for a totally different game thread, Civ3 Fanatics Creation and Customization thread, and I thought that this would be good to post here, as I view it as the most dramatic parachute drop during all of World War 2, the parachute attack on Corregidor in February of 1945.

Yes, that is an excellent read, thanks.

I finally got my explosive blast radius data for various explosives and here it is. Amatol was used heavily by the British in the early part of World War 2 as it could be produced in larger quantities than straight TNT. The US, having much greater resources did not use it much. Torpex became the standard torpedo loading, having twice the blast effect of TNT.

Explosive Blast Radius.png

Here is the data in both PDF and PNG format for downloading. If you use it in something, I would appreciate being credited.

Attachments

• Explosive Blast Radius.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
Back