• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Some Interesting Military Data

Very useful, thank you for posting this.

Do you have any data on the density of the various explosives? It would then be pretty easy to add to the Striker-FF&S design sequences.

Yes please.
From that I should be able to work out different damage and penetration numbers for shells/bombs made with the different explosives.

I finally got my explosive blast radius data for various explosives and here it is.
"Finally"

Indeed!

I just love this statement.

"What are you going to do today dear?"

"I've been meaning to gather blast radius data for various explosives, so I'm going to get that done today."

"Oh, that's nice."

Waking up at night, in a cold sweat, "I STILL haven't collected that explosives data."

Just projecting this burning itch in the back of TRs mind. "Must. Get. Explosives data." "Gah! but not today..."

But, today, finally!

Yay! \o/

"Finally"

Indeed!

Yay! \o/
I had to find in amid all of my other photocopies. Then I had to quit reviewing all of the other good stuff I came across while looking for it. Such as bombing accuracy verses Japanese bunkers in Burma and what it took to destroy them: what it took in terms of aerial weapons to sink a specific type of warship in World War 2: and a nice set of aircraft performance charts based on actual operational experience in the Southwest Pacific. Those sort of goodies.

Last edited:
I saw a documentary on the Prince Of Wales sinking in the South China Sea, and they had found the Japanese had first hit the armor belt, which caused it to roll up, and the next torpedoes hit underneath the belt.

I saw a documentary on the Prince Of Wales sinking in the South China Sea, and they had found the Japanese had first hit the armor belt, which caused it to roll up, and the next torpedoes hit underneath the belt.
You need to check this out.

I have been posting interesting tidbits from the U.S. Army official history of World War 2 in my thread of New Years Resolutions, but this one I thought would be good here.

The first phase in carrying out this task was a loose one whereby animals and equipment were purchased locally and issued directly to divisions. Moving toward greater centralization, Fifth Army assumed control of the pack mule companies (largely
recruited from Italian personnel), organized several more from elements of the inactivated 2d Cavalry Division, and established remount depots in corps areas. Near the end of hostilities more than 4,500 mules and 150 horses were operating under the Fifth Army delivering supplies to troops in otherwise inaccessible areas.
They were used in the mountainous areas of Italy as the only way to supply the units consistently. From the Quartermaster Corps in the War Against Germany.

Side Note: As a former Quartermaster officer, I keep thinking that an appropriate coat of arms would be a pack mule.

Pack Mule Loaded 1.png

1. I think mountain howitzers were designed to be broken up into mule sized bites; or at least, one type.

2. They might have been used in the jungle.

3. Less obvious in reconnaissance photos, for insurgencies.

4. Psionic mules are minus two on attack roles.

5. Apparently, human mules on bicycles work in jungle paths.

1. I think mountain howitzers were designed to be broken up into mule sized bites; or at least, one type.

2. They might have been used in the jungle.

3. Less obvious in reconnaissance photos, for insurgencies.

4. Psionic mules are minus two on attack roles.

5. Apparently, human mules on bicycles work in jungle paths.
The 75mm pack howitzer was certainly used by the US (and Australians) in the Pacific theatre. The Australians also did a stripped down version of the 25 pdr gun which could be broken down and dropped by parachute (although I only recall them doing that once, when a troop were sent to support the US 503 PIR during the Nazdab operation).

The Japanese made a lot of use of mountain howitzers.

The 75mm pack howitzer was certainly used by the US (and Australians) in the Pacific theatre. The Australians also did a stripped down version of the 25 pdr gun which could be broken down and dropped by parachute (although I only recall them doing that once, when a troop were sent to support the US 503 PIR during the Nazdab operation).

The Japanese made a lot of use of mountain howitzers.
The Australians also made use of the British 3.7 inch mountain howitzer, which could also be broken down and packed. The Japanese had a 70mm battalion gun that was man-portable and quite useful.

I heard a Ukrainian mention that a small howitzer would be extremely useful on the frontline, whereas I was under the impression that role had gone to mortars and the Carl Gustavs.

I heard a Ukrainian mention that a small howitzer would be extremely useful on the frontline, whereas I was under the impression that role had gone to mortars and the Carl Gustavs.
Carl Gustav is a recoilless weapon with significant back blast, limiting its usefulness to outside areas with clear areas behind the gun. The Carl Gustav also has somewhat limited range. Mortars are strictly high-angle weapons. What they are thinking about is a light, direct fire weapon, similar to the Japanese 70mm infantry gun, the British 3.7 inch pack howitzer, or the WW2 German 75mm infantry gun. The US 75mm pack howitzer would also be quite useful.

Side Note: As a former Quartermaster officer, I keep thinking that an appropriate coat of arms would be a pack mule.
Giving this a 'Love Emoji' :love: . Something like this could really give a unit 'Character'. Also, a unique 'unofficial' unit patch like this would be good for unit/troop morale, I think.

They mention that they don't know how they were sunk in that.
I will need to get out my copies of Allied and Neutral Battleships of World War 2 and also British Battleships of World War 2, as they both have detailed write-ups on the loss. Now, to figure out where they are.

It looks like Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on the loss. The first hit bent the outboard propeller shaft which opened up all of the compartments that it ran through to flooding.

Last edited:
Here is what the Japanese 70mm infantry howitzer looked like. The Marine Corps Museum had a captured one on display.

Japanese 70mm.png
The howitzer is used with Japanese infantry battalions; ordinarily horse-drawn but it can be manhandled easily by the 10-man section; it can be placed in position by two men; three men can handle it on a good road. The piece is mounted on a cradle which houses the hydro-spring recoil mechanism. It has a steel split-trail carriage mounted on steel disk wheels. The general characteristics follow (see accompanying sketch).

Caliber 70 mm (2.76 in)
Length Overall, with tails folded 87 inches
Tube 2 feet, 6 inches
Weight (complete) 468 lbs
Rifling 24 lands and grooves (r/h twist)
Maximum range 3,000 yards
Effective range 1,500 yards
Muzzle velocity 650 f/s
Ammunition HE, smoke and shrapnel
Weight of shell (HE) 8.36 lbs
Rate of fire 10 rpm
Tube Monobloc
Breech block Interrupted thread type
Firing mechanism Continuous pull
Recoil Hydro spring
Elevation 50°
Depression -10°
Traverse 45° ea.ch way
Sight Panoramic
Shield 1/8 in armor

The source is TACTICAL AND TECHNICAL TRENDS NUMBER 34 23 SEPTEMBER 1943
The US had by then a few captured ones to evaluate. It was a useful little gun.

I will need to get out my copies of Allied and Neutral Battleships of World War 2 and also British Battleships of World War 2, as they both have detailed write-ups on the loss. Now, to figure out where they are.

It looks like Wikipedia has a reasonable write-up on the loss. The first hit bent the outboard propeller shaft which opened up all of the compartments that it ran through to flooding.
It was mentioned in the documentary they didn't understand how they were defeating the belt armor, until forensics showed they were using multiple hits to roll it up, to hit under the belt line; prop would be there.

Here is what the Japanese 70mm infantry howitzer looked like. The Marine Corps Museum had a captured one on display.
They used those and mountain guns during the Kokoda Trail/Track campaign - pack on horses initially, then man-carried after the horses were "abandoned".

Back