• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Stealing from T5

infojunky

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
Considering stealing the Flex mechanic for skill rolls.

It looks like a better way to represent degree pf success or failure.

Considering stealing the Flex mechanic for skill rolls.

It looks like a better way to represent degree pf success or failure.

I assume you mean flux. How were you thinking of implementing it for skill resolution?

(Note also that flux (and good flux and bad flux) are expandable to many die roll combinations (e.g. 2D6-2D6 for -10 to +10; 1D10-1D10 for -9 to +9, etc.))

Nearly ten years ago...

One of my comments was "As a complete aside I think Marc missed a trick with making flux 1d vs 1d, flux based on 2d vs 2d for a range of -10 to +10 is much more interesting from a statistical maths perspective"

Nearly ten years ago...

One of my comments was "As a complete aside I think Marc missed a trick with making flux 1d vs 1d, flux based on 2d vs 2d for a range of -10 to +10 is much more interesting from a statistical maths perspective"
Heh, a friend of mine wrote a game on a 4d6 mechanic.. It's interesting choice.

Nearly ten years ago...

A subtlety to note:

In your write-up you use the terms "Positive-flux" and "Negative-flux", and in T5 the terms "Good flux" and "Bad flux" are used. But when you subtract the larger from the smaller (or smaller from the larger) using the 1D-1D mechanic (as in the T5 Core Rules), the "peak" of the probability curve between 0 and ±5 lies around ±1. If you want a curve with the peak at "0" and dropping off toward ±5 (but only in one direction) you will need to take the absolute value of the regular flux roll (i.e. ||FLUX|| ) and then multiply by ±1 to get the desired flux-direction.

Where FLUX (1D) = 1D-1D; or FLUX (2D) = 2D-2D; etc., I would suggest using the terms:
  • POSITIVE FLUX (nD): + ||FLUX (nD)||
  • NEGATIVE FLUX (nD): - ||FLUX (nD)||
  • GOOD FLUX: nD-nD
  • BAD FLUX: nD-nD
(where n = # of dice, and nD>nD)​
That way "GOOD FLUX" truly is somewhat of a "boon", and BAD FLUX is actually somewhat of a bane, since they skew to ±1 peak-value. If you merely need to generate a curve in the positive or negative direction that has "0" as its peak value with a descending probability of a better or worse outcome, you have the POSITIVE/NEGATIVE FLUX roll as an alternative.

• GOOD FLUX: nD-nD
  • BAD FLUX: nD-nD
(where n = # of dice, and nD>nD)​
That way "GOOD FLUX" truly is somewhat of a "boon", and BAD FLUX is actually somewhat of a bane, since they skew to ±1 peak-value.

Clarification: That is, they skew to ±1 peak-value for n=1. They would skew toward a larger magnitude peak-value for larger values of "n".

Back