• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 Sophont Review

There is less call to .zip things these days, as memory capacities and transmission speeds are through the roof. It's only good for saving multiple files in their original folder/directory relationships. :)

the bbs mangles unzipped recent version spredsheets.

There is less call to .zip things these days, as memory capacities and transmission speeds are through the roof. It's only good for saving multiple files in their original folder/directory relationships. :)

Zip can also be handy for getting around over-zealous firewalls when emailing code samples or documents with macros.

I am not sure if it is too late to mention this or not, but I just happened to be looking over the T5 Sophont Review Spreadsheet, and noticed the entry for "Wanderers". The entry seems to conflate several different races associated with the same name.

(CAVEAT: I do not believe I own a copy of "Gateway Domain Campaign Adventure 1: Homecoming" (GDHC), so I am ignorant of any information that might be contained in that document on p.30-33).

1) In MegaTraveller Journal #4 (MTJ4), p.56-57, 64-67, and esp p.70 (Droashav Origins), The "G'naak" of K'kree legend are identified as the "Droashav" currently living on Trevannic in the Gateway Domain. Their name means "Wanderers", which is derived from their wandering travel on their hollowed-out STL-asteroid ships.

2) In MJD's Gateway to Destiny (GtD), p.37-38, an "insectoid" species called the "Wanderers" is detailed. Their ships are described as follows:
The Wanderers entered the Gateway region around year 320 after crossing the Lesser Rift in their Worldships. These Worldships are gigantic non-jump-capable vessels, each home to a large (the actual size is unknown) community of Wanderers. From the Worldships, Jump-capable vessels range across the region, trading and visiting various worlds. The Wanderers have set up a number of small enclaves on various worlds, from which they conduct trade. Humans are very rarely invited into these enclaves.
But GtD also mentions the Droashav in an independent entry on p. 26, so the "Wanderers" of GtD are not the same as the Droashav "Wanderers", despite the similarities in name and description of method of STL-travel.

3) TMg Minor Alien Module 1: Luriani (MGL) mentions the Wurlana of Daramm as "Wanderers" on p.40-41. They are wanderers on the seas of Daramm primarily, and on STL-asteroid ships later, but the Wurlana are Luriani, not a separate minor race. It also mentions the Kaski (cited in the T5 Spreadsheet "Wanderers" entry - MGL20) as a race to whom the early Luriani gave the secret of Jump Drive, but the Kaski of p.20 are never called Wanderers, and are described as follows:
The Kaski were a militant minor race in the adjacent Empty Quarter sector and considered a much greater threat than the Luriani. The Vilani campaign to absorb Kaski was bungled, the first fleet sent to achieve the task lost due to incompetence. Eventually, the Vilani defeated and absorbed the Kaski, but the damage to Vilani prestige had been heavy.
I know nothing of the World entry for Ansenz/Antares2425, but I see from TravellerMap that it is identified as a Kaski dieback world.

The Kaski should probably have their own entry under their own name (with the Ansenz/Antares2425 and Empty Quarter world/location info), and the MGL 20 reference, with no connection to Wanderers.

The Droashav should probably have "Wanderers" added to the "Other Names" column under the Droashav entry, and the insectoid "Wanderers" of GtD p.37-38 should probably be the primary race identified as Wanderers on the spreadsheet (i.e. remove the Kaski reference and the Ansenz/Antares2425 world origin and remove the MGL20 reference. I do not know what the GDHC 30-33 reference details, as I do not have that document.

A deliberate decision was made in MAM1 to "pave over" the wanderers from GtD and Homecoming with a car park. As much of the information from GtD was preserved but the core details were changed.

Sophonts in T5 - Sorry to Repeat

Greetings and Salutations fellow Travellers,

Going through T5, I LOVE the new Sophont creation rules, but am wondering why there are no "set" rules for the more common races mentioned in the book? Granted, I can infer some of these and using the MgT rules, come up with my own Sophont Creation Cards and Checklists, but I was wondering if there was some place where the work was done ahead of time, or if this is something to be added down the road?

Many thanks, and remember to always keep enough fuel for an emergency Jump, and your tankards full.

Benn "arkangel" Williams

Back