• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Pirates of Deneb

Very Nice

I did read it and it was very well written and entertaining, looking forward to reading more. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice little story! I don't read much of this kind of thing, but it kept me interested all the way through. Beecher was well-developed given the constraints of the word count. I particularly liked the story-telling break; his dry and self-deprecatory sense of humor came through very well.

Krystal is not a character at all, but a stereotype, right down to her name. Maybe that's by design, but it comes across as lazy.

I don't care much for the footnotes—I think most of that information could be removed to the prose or simply left unexplained. Also, the technical information on the pirate ships (the abbreviations J2M1, and so on) is clear to a Traveller but probably incomprehensible to anyone else. Specifically, you do not clearly draw the line between "gravities of acceleration" and the "M" abbreviation.

I was disappointed to see that it was your only story on the site. I'd very much like to read more!

I have put up a Traveller story on the FanFiction website which I hope might be of interest. Any comments or criticisms would be welcome.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7097859/1/The_Pirates_of_Deneb

Hi,

I enjoyed reading it, but the combat encounter seemed bit brief and one sided, I was anticipating a bay explosion on the capital ship at the least.

Also with so many cargo ships available, if I was a pirate leader I wouldn't be using them for piracy, but moving on the stolen goods.

Finally the IN Officers presented seemed rather young for their ranks, even if they were all nobles as part of an Admiral's clique.

Kind Regards

David

Thank you for all the comments. Yes, looking back Krystal was lazy character design, I will try to do better. I was in two minds about the explanations and I probably did over do it. It's a dilemma what to do and my lack of experience showed. I'll try to bear all these comments in mind with my next story.

Back