• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller 5 Review Question

Rynak

SOC-9
Since the books started shipping on 3/26, can we get a breakdown of some of the cool features of the T5 book now? This might be a good time filler as we wait for other addresses to be confirmed and lower tier orders to ship.

Character generation, Combat rules, Expanded system generation, Sophont generation, rules for constructing nearly everything, from odds n ends equipment, robots, vehicles, guns and starhips. Expanded tech level charts and civilizations too! Plus tons of other things as well! There might even be a kitchen sink in there. :eek:

Hope that helps.

That's great news! How is ship creation? I'm hoping for scalability so you can realistically design civilian yachts up to and including capital ships (especially carriers, battleships and dreadnaughts). Are there different weapon mounts? How about spinal mounts for that less accurate but much more increased firepower?

The ship design is for ahem less than capitol ship sizes think more like BK 2
2nd ed than book 5 and nothing at all like T4 FF&S.

Jump, and Hop drive is powered by "collectors", Fusion, or Antimatter.
Skip drives add fission to the mix, though you could house rule that a Fission 10 could power a Hop 1 (without the overclocking and excessive fuel use BTW).

And then you have the TL stage effects you could have a Jump Drive Experimental model show up at TL 7 allowing a fractional efficiency and poor reliability or you have the ultimate expression of Jump 1 drives at TL 12 producing 1.3 times the normal output for a drive that size with exceptional reliability and quality and better fuel use.

So you have extra variables to concider when putting together a ship.

That J1 M1 200 ton free trader can be a TL 12 ultimate in everything and be a great little ship with more cargo space no engine problems and so forth.

Or it could have been put together at TL 8 using prototype designs and experimental equipment lashed together with bailing wire and spit and the engineer is a leading theroist on jump space, and has seen raw jump space perhaps a half a dozen times too many.

The more space you give the crew the better their morale and + DM's on Sanity checks, less space than standard... hoo boy the GM is gonna have fun pushing your buttons.

Thanks Warwizard. I am a virgin Traveller GM/player and T5 is going to be my first foray into the system. Too bad on the capital ship design. I'll have to extrapolate as best I can and handwave some of the specifics. At some point there will probably be an expansion, but for right now I'll take what I can get and make the best of it.

Any thoughts on an existing expansion/book that would help with capital ship design that would work well with T5 and with a minimum amount of conversion?

Thanks Warwizard. I am a virgin Traveller GM/player and T5 is going to be my first foray into the system. Too bad on the capital ship design. I'll have to extrapolate as best I can and handwave some of the specifics. At some point there will probably be an expansion, but for right now I'll take what I can get and make the best of it.

Any thoughts on an existing expansion/book that would help with capital ship design that would work well with T5 and with a minimum amount of conversion?
SSDS.PDF I understand it's on the T4 CD

Ship design question:

Are their seperate rules for fighters/small craft? To indicate nimbleness and specific strengths and so on?

Back