• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Type S5 Long Scout (199Td, J5/3G, HG'80 at TL-14)

As I said, "SPACE 1949!" :D
It's not 1899, it's not 1999. It's what you get when outer space is so close you can almost touch it, but you have no idea what's really out there. The V2 rocket is what a spaceship looks like -- single stage to orbit, powered vertical landings. Parachutes are tricky, and gliding down? That's crazy! :)

Planets never have large weather systems; sometimes they have completely invisible atmospheres...

I grew up (in the 50s) with 50's sci-fi. In all the old TV and movies back then were the spaceships I loved.
Watching Disney's "Man in Space" with von Braun. I couldn't believe we wouldn't be on the moon by the late 50s early 60s but then I was just a kid.

I grew up (in the 50s) with 50's sci-fi. In all the old TV and movies back then were the spaceships I loved.
Watching Disney's "Man in Space" with von Braun. I couldn't believe we wouldn't be on the moon by the late 50s early 60s but then I was just a kid.

I'm what MWM called a "Classically-Trained Science Fiction Reader." Worked through my dad's library of Astounding/Analog, and books from the 50s through mid-70s, in the mid/late 1970s to early 1980s. I thought 2001 had it right (it did, mostly*) and Star Wars was amazing but strained credulity. Didn't watch a lot of TV or cinema, though -- Toaster-era BSG, Buck Rogers, and Space 1999 were about the extent of the "space" stuff.

I saw the end of the moon program and Skylab, and was really disappointed that the Space Shuttle turned out to be a dead end rather than a replacement and stepping-stone. In retrospect it was inevitable, but I was seeing it from the SciFi and perhaps the PR perspective of what was possible, rather than what was practical.

Real-world physics kinda sucks sometimes.

----------------------
* Discovery was originally supposed to have large radiator fins for the nuclear engines --but who'd believe an interplanetary spaceship with wings? <<laughs in Tie Fighter>>

As a default (and because I'm lazy), you can just re-use the hack-job deck plans from the Type ST Transport Scout (Post #233 in that thread -- the "revised" version that's my "stretched Suliman" merged with my "fixed Sulieman"). Note that the drive bay is double-height in this one.

Both ships really deserve better, though. Someday I'll get around to it.

Back