• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: Using the Gauss Pistol?

I can't believe I have never heard of that book - it is now on its way from Amazon :)
When I was working on my masters (liberal arts, the human condition) it was part of a class. You'd probably enjoy Godel, Escher & Bach as well (another spoiler: and still have not finished that despite that being an entire class by itself! but a really interesting and challenging book) (wiki link again)

BTW, my thesis was actually The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence which is oddly relevant now 25+ years later! As my BS was in computer science, figured I could combine the two!

I dunno, at a personal level, things we can wield, and touch, and manipulate, I think tech wise we're reaching a plateau.

The amount of energy we can personally marshal (and, at it's core, that's what personal combat is all about), whether as air pressure, chemical expansion, electrical discharge, I honestly don't see any orders of magnitude change in the near to mid-future. I think as a society, we have the fundamentals of the physical universe pretty well figured out.

Granted, I don't know anything. In many ways I'm as ignorant of the future as anyone before the wheel was invented. But based on our progression in physics and thus chemistry, material science, etc. I think we're about tapped out as to how much energy a person can carry and deploy (especially safely).

I mean, consider something like the RPG-7 and the Javelin. The Javelin is almost twice as big (from a warhead point of view) as the RPG-7. This part of what makes it more powerful. It's simply twice as big. But this limits the carry capacity for the soldier. That limit in the warhead size is advanced chemistry. I don't know how much research there is in more powerful, yet as stable explosives than what's in systems like the RPG and Javelin. But I'm betting whatever research is being done, doesn't offer an order of magnitude advancement. For many use cases what we have is "powerful enough" to where they can specialize in other ways (notably for the Javelin, in the electronics).

Look at the new XM5 rifle for the US. It's a larger, heavier cartridge, with a case that can withstand enormous pressures, but for twice the weight of the M4 5.56 cartridge, it offers 40% more energy down range. A key design of the new case is handling the higher pressures. A steel base mated to a brass body. The steel base is better designed to withstand the high pressure of the primer area (which it normally not very well supported by the action like the rest of the cartridge) to keep the higher pressures from blowing out the cartridge.

But, it comes at a cost of payload. Soldiers can carry half as many rounds now. And it should be powerful enough to defeat near term personal armor advancements, notably in composites and ceramics, as that was a primary goal for the cartridge.

We have more powerful explosives and propellants. We have better armors. But not necessarily that are usable by men. We're still limited to total payload and usefulness.

Things like the Gauss rifle use extraordinary amounts of energy. Orders of magnitudes in terms of battery density, wire stability (can you imagine the wires necessary to conduct the electromagnetic energy necessary to discharge a gauss rifle?), etc. Room temperature super conductors, perhaps, to the rescue here.

We already have problems with batteries spontaneously catching fire as it is now, they have so much energy.

Most of our tech development since Rome has been stumbling allong figuring out the fundamentals. Today, we seem to have a pretty solid understanding of at least the high level fundamentals that manifest for aptly in our physical world, at least at human scales.

The new XM5 is in no way fundamentally different from the same cartridges we were using 100 years ago. The new casing development is novel, but it's a blip on the power curve, not an order of magnitude we need to transcend this path of empowering people with power to kill each other, nor is it enough to stop being killed. Other than the case, the XM5 is just another predictable cartridge, another point on the same power curve we've been using since smokeless powder in steel tubes was perfected.

Advances to come, to be sure, but I think were plateauing the power were able to comfortably, and safely bring to bear at a personal level as human beings.

Optionally, you can only legally use longarm shotguns in the majority of jurisdictions.

Your encounter is thus is as far into the future as are the height of Egypt and Babylon in our past... Much further if using M 1900...
OK, Thanks for the correction.

As for the tech... Much of our tech would be usable by an Egyptian... but not repairable. Tho' I'm pretty sure an Egyptian would recognize cars as derived from wagons... and wonder where the horses or oxen are...
Agreed, but would an Egyptian sci-fi RPG game writer include "wagons that go without animals" or "a spearthrowing thing with 30 little spears that throw themselves"?

Oh, and just for real fun sniggers... late republican Rome and early Imperial rome have the first known space travel stories with other worlds... reached by flying boats... so, 2000 years ago, spacecraft were being envisaged... kind of.
I knew about that one - which was what popped the idea of a Roman Traveller game into my head

I’d say the nuclear damper is on a par.

The more I think about this answer, the more I'm impressed on how you got so much insight into one line.

Yeah, we got no clue how a nuclear damper would work. Zip, zero, null.
It's on par with a Roman trying to imagine an ICBM : "A catapult of worldwide range and incredible destructiveness"

And the secondary technologies that would come from that are profound

A nuclear damper is a minimum of TL12 - 5 tech paradigm shifts from ours.

I doubt if they still talk about quarks, gluons and mesons at that point, having a much better understanding of how it all works.

Nuclear damper tech probably is necessary to make the more advanced fusion reactors both smaller and more efficient, but their true unacknowledged potential is for atomic synthesis.

Damper tech and "meson" tech (guns and shields) are likely to be based on the same advanced physics.

The disintegrator should probably appear a lot sooner than TL16/

The more I think about this answer, the more I'm impressed on how you got so much insight into one line.

It's on par with a Roman trying to imagine an ICBM : "A catapult of worldwide range and incredible destructiveness"

The 2ary technologies are also really important and may even have a bigger impact in some ways. That is, while the nuclear damper is great for fighting and defense, there are other ways it can be used (as mentioned in many other threads here).

But indirect technologies that result from its use may have wider societal impact. For instance, Arpanet was designed as a redundant way of communication and sharing resources, and from it, the WWW and how that has dramatically changed society is still being felt (though we'll not go into how the internet is now really a few giant silos and not the distributed network envisioned exactly!)

THe text tells us what it does in sufficient detail that the canon uses are quite tame applications... it manipulates the weak force. This gives us the ability to judge whether or not the game applications are sensible...

Sensible? Yup. It can suppress the weak force, and thus reduce radioactivity. This also has major implications forcreating the hypothesized "Island Elements" (AN's in the 140-160 range) by allowing the intermediate items to coalesce in the particle accelerators....

Turn it the other way on the dial? the half life of all your atoms just dropped... potentially precipitously... That trace of cobalt and uranium in your system just cooked off... gaina few calories. hit it harder, the carbon starts decaying... more heat.

Take it far enough, and it causes every atom in the field to simply turn to monoatomic protium. (aka unbound hydrogen ¹H)

But there are other implications of this... Need a tumor irradiated? The tumor itself becomes the radiation source.
Need to demil your HVKEAPDSDU rounds? Put them in the box, and let their inner thorium out, with an offgassing of protium.

Depending upon the energy efficiency (which we are not actually given) it might even be how Mr Fusion works... (See T4...)

Damper tech seems to me to be THE key to much of the space opera elements of CT...

It affects the "strong nuclear force", not the weak force.
Nuclear dampers project a series of nodes and
antinodes where the strong nuclear force is enhanced
or degraded,
Strong force - gluon mediated bonding between quarks in the nucleus
Nuclear force - meson mediated bonding between nucleons

The weak force changes the flavour of quarks.

Weak force manipulation is likely behind "meson" guns and screens, but something else must also be going on to explain "meson" technology - Higgs field or tachyon field handwavium.

Damper is from Asimov, iirc last I read of it was that is how they made the Earth radioactive so R. Daneel Olivaw hid everyone in the moon until it was over.

Then apply "let's pretend we don't know now what we didn't know then" to relativity, and there you go!
Oh, there's an exchange in there which deals with it-
Crane says something about "We can't be more than 4 light hours from Earth... and yet, the stars don't match. That violated relativity"
Seaton replies with "Einstien's theory is still a theory..."
Crane finishes it with "And theories are modified to fit facts"

Here's a loophole for you: none of our tests of relativity involve an object 'under it's own power' - even particle accellerators are power external to the particles being boosted. Relativity has been checked on satellites - GPS is a prime example - but our measurments haven't been such that we can do them during boost, so those are only done on 'coasting' objects
Not saying it's a great loophole, but it's one that could be used in a sci-fi novel or game

Oh, there's an exchange in there which deals with it-
Crane says something about "We can't be more than 4 light hours from Earth... and yet, the stars don't match. That violated relativity"
Seaton replies with "Einstien's theory is still a theory..."
Crane finishes it with "And theories are modified to fit facts"

Here's a loophole for you: none of our tests of relativity involve an object 'under it's own power' - even particle accellerators are power external to the particles being boosted. Relativity has been checked on satellites - GPS is a prime example - but our measurments haven't been such that we can do them during boost, so those are only done on 'coasting' objects
Not saying it's a great loophole, but it's one that could be used in a sci-fi novel or game
You're forgetting the apollo atomic clocks and the bombers flying opposite directions with atomic clocks. (IIRC the bombers were shortly after the Korean War Armastice.)

Back