• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vilani Chow Mein

960px-ChowChow2Szczecin.jpg

Ingredient.

That's the problem with translations and menus.

Terran cuisine restaurants serving wieners.
Wish I could find the story that talked about an interstellar war that was started over a mistranslation of 'Coq au Vin'.

I can't remember the name of the story.

I keep thinking it was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I don't think that's right.

Vilani wouldn’t have had earth flour or wheat and thus no noodles like ours. Being culinary artists by necessity I’m sure they had something equivalent, but earth noodles breads and pastas were no doubt startling and revolutionary when introduced.

They may have even had a political component during the Rule of Man.

Vilani wouldn’t have had earth flour or wheat and thus no noodles like ours. Being culinary artists by necessity I’m sure they had something equivalent, but earth noodles breads and pastas were no doubt startling and revolutionary when introduced.
Considering the 2000+ years of Terran contact, pretty sure they do by the classic era.

Does grass grow on their planet?

If so, they have noodles and bread.
Noodles yes, bread too, but different likely highly selected/altered ones, and yeast would be different. All rendering different tastes, possibly different nutrients.

Minerals in different proportion taken in by an alien biome would alter tastes and body chemistry as well, along with gut flora. Although that gut flora is the most likely thing to have come along in a transplant from Earth.

Krikkit also managed to leave other marks besides the destruction of numerous worlds: due to racial memories, the Earth sport of cricket and the pan-dimensional sport of Brockian Ultra-Cricket were based on the Krikkit Wars. Slartibartfast enjoys the game of cricket, but he notes that most sensible citizens of the galaxy find the sport to be in rather bad taste. The Krikketers are described as humanoid aliens who are charming and polite, despite their cosmocidal tendencies. They are capable of composing incredibly moving and poetic music. Some of the younger Krikketers are interested in developing sporting links with the rest of the Universe rather than destroying it.

Back