• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vote Your Canon #3: The Gazelle (consensus: yes, but problems noted)

What's the Gazelle's status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
The LBBs came out. Marc wrote them.
Then High Guard came out. Marc wrote those, too.
Then the Gazelle was published in JTAS No. 4. And Marc wrote that, too.

MWM may have written all of that but he sure didn't use it when he designed the Gazelle

Why did MWM modify the HG79 rules to produce the Gazelle? 10t PA bay (HG79) becomes two 5t PA barbettes (HG80)?

Why were the HG79 re-written so quickly into HG80?

It is interesting that he used an expansion of Book 2, back-porting in equipment from High Guard (as well as referring to components which have never existed) to design the first Gazelle.

If nothing else, you have to admit that Marc loves Traveller!

It is interesting that he used an expansion of Book 2, back-porting in equipment from High Guard (as well as referring to components which have never existed) to design the first Gazelle.
I just assumed that in retrospect, it was the example for why LBB5 was better: Here's the Type T Patrol Cruiser (more or less) but built under the High Guard ruleset. Sure you can keep using LBB2, but why would you want to when you could have this instead?
If nothing else, you have to admit that Marc loves Traveller!
If you were him, wouldn't you? Heck, I mean, I'm not even him and I love it!

I just assumed that in retrospect, it was the example for why LBB5 was better: it's the Type T Patrol Cruiser but better because it was built under the High Guard ruleset. Sure you can keep using LBB2, but why would you want to when you could have this instead?

I think Azhanti High Lightning was the big showcase for High Guard. TCS too....

I think Azhanti High Lightning was the big showcase for High Guard. TCS too....
They were the showcases for High Guard in the big ship universe context. Gazelle was the HG "halo car" for the small ship universe.

The first version is clearly a bog standard HG'79 ship. The JTAS article just describes how to use it in LBB2 combat.

The first version is clearly a bog standard HG'79 ship. The JTAS article just describes how to use it in LBB2 combat.
No it isn't. HG'79 doesn't have 5t PA barbettes, they are from HG'80. Now it could be that MWM has chosen to describe the 10t PA bay as being composed of two 5t barbettes.

Note also the original Gazelle is a 400t ship that can achieve jump 6 if it drops its drop tanks and yet only has a model 3 computer and no more than a jump 4 program installed :)

Broken but fixable.

No it isn't. HG'79 doesn't have 5t PA barbettes, they are from HG'80. Now it could be that MWM has chosen to describe the 10t PA bay as being composed of two 5t barbettes.
It does not have barbettes, it has a 10 Dt PA bay (presumably), described for LBB2 combat as 2 PA "barbettes".
I don't know the timeline, but I would guess that this is the source for the HG'80 barbettes.

The HG'79 Gazelle has two hardpoints, two turrets, and additionally a bay, which is why I said "(arguably) a perfectly legal LBB5'79 design" above. HG'79 is a bit vague about bays and hardpoints, but I consider a ship design published by MWM to be a clarification of the rules.

The JTAS article only vaguely describes the Gazelle, even basic hull size (w/o tanks) is not specified.

Note also the original Gazelle is a 400t ship that can achieve jump 6 if it drops its drop tanks and yet only has a model 3 computer and no more than a jump 4 program installed :)
HG'79 requires nothing special of the computer to jump. By LBB2'77 it would require Jump-6 software, even if that is not standard equipment. A m1/bis was enough for J-6 in LBB2'77.

Read JTAS 4 again.

15. Ventral Barbette located forward
and accessed from hatch at location 2.

37. Dorsal Barbette with access via
the ceiling hatch in location 24.

The barbettes, and their particle
accelerator weapons are not specifically
covered in Traveller Book 2. They are
a variant drawn from the material in
High Guard, and grafted onto Book 2.
Specifically, the barbettes are 5 tons
each. The particle accelerators should be
treated as heavy lasers as in Traveller
Book 2, subject to an advantageous DM
of +2 to hit. Damage from such hits
should be skewed toward crew casualties,
and electronic and computer
damage if there is no fibre optic back-up
present.

3, Particle Accelerator Barbette, Dorsal. 1. Particle Accelerator Barbette, Ventral.

All quotes from JTAS 4 where we are introduced to the Gazelle in LBB2 terms. It is a 400t ship with drive performance of 444, yet can drop its tanks and achieve jump 6. The full software list is given and only goes up to jump 4. It has hull armour, a nuclear damper and is armed with laser turrets and two 5t PA barbettes.

Back