• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vote Your Canon #4: Jump Torpedos (consensus: NOT)

Are jump torpedos canon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
Book 2, 1977, tells us that no vessel under 100 tons can jump. I believe all Traveller rules have followed this since.

Then Adventure 4, Leviathan, introduces jump torpedos. The adventure is published by GDW and uses High Guard rules overall.

LBB2'77 didn't say anything about whether small vessels could jump. It just regulated how to build ships. Note that there is no minimum size for ships, just a maximum.

Jump was later restricted to 100+ Dt vessels, so jump torpedoes are no longer canon.

Please get your facts right. 77 CT explicitly allows jump torpedoes.

LBB2 77 edition page 18 i.e. rules as written:
Missiles for missile launch racks...
Other types of missiles are possible (for example jump capable message torpedoes)

Not voting in this one.

'77 says yes, but all subsequent edition or rules have prohibited them. They're clearly inconsistent with the OTU as written.

That said, I don't think they break Traveller itself (when considered as a rules set, rather than a rules set and its setting).

Not voting in this one.

'77 says yes, but all subsequent edition or rules have prohibited them. They're clearly inconsistent with the OTU as written.

That said, I don't think they break Traveller itself (when considered as a rules set, rather than a rules set and its setting).
They sort of make my head hurt thinking about them, so I like to leave them out. I mean, a random missile, pops into existence and flies towards you ...

They sort of make my head hurt thinking about them, so I like to leave them out. I mean, a random missile, pops into existence and flies towards you ...
And stops to hand you a telegram...
Well, yeah. They're not weapons, they're message transmission devices.

They can kind of work under the assumptions of '77: no power plant and no minimum computer, if you can offload the course-plotting and drive control to the launching vessel and you can scale jump drives downward from Size A using the formulae that yielded the Drive Potential Table. Short-ranged ones are absurdly cheap, too, when the prices are calculated that way.

Once you add the power plant and computer requirement, they stop being "torpedo-sized" and become "small-craft" sized. At that point, the 100Td minimum jump-able hull size requirement becomes untenable and things get messy (under LBB2 assumptions, at least).

Well, yeah. They're not weapons, they're message transmission devices.

They can kind of work under the assumptions of '77: no power plant and no minimum computer, if you can offload the course-plotting and drive control to the launching vessel and you can scale jump drives downward from Size A using the formulae that yielded the Drive Potential Table. Short-ranged ones are absurdly cheap, too, when the prices are calculated that way.

Once you add the power plant and computer requirement, they stop being "torpedo-sized" and become "small-craft" sized. At that point, the 100Td minimum jump-able hull size requirement becomes untenable and things get messy (under LBB2 assumptions, at least).
It starts getting too messy ... I mean, now I can attack other star systems ...
Personally the communications thing doesn't bother me, the starship rules, don't exactly support it either, though I don't really want to go there.

It starts getting too messy ... I mean, now I can attack other star systems ...
Personally the communications thing doesn't bother me, the starship rules, don't exactly support it either, though I don't really want to go there.
By messy, I mean that while you can extrapolate jump drives smaller than Size A (they're 2.5% of ship tonnage per Jn, plus 5 tons), you can't do that for maneuver drives (they're 2% per G, minus 1 ton*; a 2G drive for a 50 ton hull would be zero tons, anything smaller would have negative volume).

LBB2 doesn't include the tools needed to build small craft. (HG does, but that's a separate issue.)

-----
*I'm working from memory here and might have the precise % wrong; the important part is that "minus 1 ton" part. Below an output of 100g-tons, the drive tonnage becomes negative.

Last edited:
By messy, I mean that while you can extrapolate jump drives smaller than Size A (they're 2.5% of ship tonnage per Jn, plus 5 tons), you can't do that for maneuver drives (they're 2% per G, minus 1 ton; a 1G drive for a 50 ton hull would be zero tons, anything smaller would have negative volume).

LBB2 doesn't include the tools needed to build small craft. (HG does, but that's a separate issue.)
It doesn't, no. I mean the proper way to look at engines is as a pump, and they pump the energy from the fuel into work. Easily enough just to assign a minimum size. In theory, it is totally doable, except it also changes some stuff about how everything works, suddenly it MAD in space, and the navy is relatively pointless. It still does some stuff, but we're more modern age power projection than age of dreadnoughts.

It doesn't, no. I mean the proper way to look at engines is as a pump, and they pump the energy from the fuel into work. Easily enough just to assign a minimum size. In theory, it is totally doable, except it also changes some stuff about how everything works, suddenly it MAD in space, and the navy is relatively pointless. It still does some stuff, but we're more modern age power projection than age of dreadnoughts.
Oh, sure, you can invent some other system for scaling down the maneuver drive size, or declare a minimum size. But then you'd have a subset of drives that didn't work the same way as everything up to (but not including) Size W-Z drives, and would need to justify bending the curve at that point, instead of cutting everything off at 100 tons before the pattern starts looking weird.

Oh, sure, you can invent some other system for scaling down the maneuver drive size, or declare a minimum size. But then you'd have a subset of drives that didn't work the same way as everything up to (but not including) Size W-Z drives, and would need to justify bending the curve at that point, instead of cutting everything off at 100 tons before the pattern starts looking weird.
Exactly, thus the headache begins ...

Hard call. I haven't voted yet because I rather like and dislike the concept at the same time, and I cannot make up my mind. :)

They are definitely de-canonized "officially" after CT'77, but part of me still likes the idea. Sub-100 ton J-Boats were a thing in TNE, with a sigificantly increased chance of misjump and loss of the craft.

UPDATE: I went with canon (even though I know MWM has specifically de-canonized them).

Last edited:
Back