• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

War Term

Posted this elsewhere, but I'd really like an answer

My group is getting back to their roots this weekend and breaking out T2K v 2.2 (since 2013 isn't out yet)....

I thought I knew how the rules worked, but since it's been a while since we played, I've forgotten how to handle the following:

In a player's 3rd term during character creation, they are serving as an Officer in the US Army Rangers. At the end of the term, the war breaks out. So in their 4th term, they wish to switch from Ranger Officer to Special Forces Officer. Is that allowed? Or since they are already in service, are they stuck with the career they were in prior to the war breaking out?

Also, if they CAN move from Ranger Officer to Special Forces Officer, how do I determine what skills they receive? Do they simply receive the SF Officer 1st term skills? Are those doubled?

Or do they skip the 1st term list and simply receive their doubled points for a 4th (war) term and pick from the SF Officer subsequent term list?

Thanks in advance folks!

I had a look through, and on page 20 of the 2.2 book under Arm of Service it states "A character may normally chose a career only from the arm of service in which he is currently enrolled. A character may switch ams of service (e.g., from infantry to armour) at the end of *any or every* term. When he does so, he adds two to the promotion roll for the current term." Emphasis added.

So it looks like the player can switch if he likes, unless you as referee decide to disallow it.

For skills - on page 30 it covers this. Under Basic Training: "Characters entering the military recieve a basic training skill package during their first term. This package is *in addition* to the first-term skills package received. Characters may only receive basic training *once*: during their first term in any branch of the military. Later transfers to other branches do not confer additional basic training packages." Emphasis in original.

The way I read it, if/when they transfer to SFO, they get the appropriate number of term skills per the table on page 30, plus any bonus skill for a promotion, if any. So in the 4th term, that would be 3 skills from the list.

Pardon if this double-posts, just got a "no locks available" error and backed up to not lose the text.

Jon

In a player's 3rd term during character creation, they are serving as an Officer in the US Army Rangers. At the end of the term, the war breaks out. So in their 4th term, they wish to switch from Ranger Officer to Special Forces Officer. Is that allowed? Or since they are already in service, are they stuck with the career they were in prior to the war breaking out?

Also, if they CAN move from Ranger Officer to Special Forces Officer, how do I determine what skills they receive? Do they simply receive the SF Officer 1st term skills? Are those doubled?

Or do they skip the 1st term list and simply receive their doubled points for a 4th (war) term and pick from the SF Officer subsequent term list?

I let them switch, and if it's a war term, I let them get the initial skills and the normal subsequent skills amount. So, the initial whatever and then three or four points in the other skills as they choose.

Note to Poolboy...

Before responding to a thread, check the date of the last previous post. In this case, just under 9 months has passed since the last post.

You may want to consider starting a new thread, and linking to the old discussion in your starting post.

If you still want to post on the old thread, go ahead... but expect to get some flack for "resurrecting a dead thread", "creating a zombie thread, etc".

Not that that is always a bad thing... ;)

ps: the following doesn't really apply to your post, as you did give pertinent info there... I just like posting it:

necro.jpg

Last edited:
Heh love the card!

I don't mind thread necro's like this. It may be that others have similar questions, or the OP might have forgotten about the thread and now sees it again.

Necro'ing threads to continue to beat a dead horse or continue a flame war and that's another story.

Back