• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

World Builder Book

nats

SOC-12
Anyone else really interested in this upcoming book for Mongoose Traveller? I've been wanting an updated version of the classic Scouts book for years to enable me to lose myself in designing whole star systems. I hope it will be good. Would love to see the contents page for this book !

Not really, But I already own both editions of of the DGP rules (note the biggest difference between the CT and MT books is the inclusion of metric terms)

That and Mongoose efforts with the technical aspects of the Traveller have been largely subpar.

I'm looking forward to it... I'd love it if there were bits about culture, society, vibe, and feel. I like all the basics as we've seen and I'm also interested in how they'll handle so many new discoveries IRL, but I'd love that bit of attention paid to spark my imagination about the feel of being on the ground, or in the controlled space, of a new world. Of course I cold just make all that stuff up... but you could say the same for size, hydrographics, and whatnot. I appreciate more fleshed out, and I'll tweak and tailor as needed.

One thing to keep in mind-Traveller is a sci-fi story simulator, not a space science simulator. You want to avoid space fantasy/moon cheese and give a feel of verity, but I would think you want options for how much crunch vs story built into the gen process.

One thing to keep in mind-Traveller is a sci-fi story simulator, not a space science simulator. You want to avoid space fantasy/moon cheese and give a feel of verity, but I would think you want options for how much crunch vs story built into the gen process.
I dont agree. Ive got a heck of a lot of pleasure out of creating things in Traveller that were never used in any games. In fact almost all of my time with Traveller has been spent outside of games. Maybe that's unusual for a role playing game but CT always enabled me to do that. Mind you I think I would have hated using CT in an actual game it was far too unwieldy. I think though Traveller can provide both aspects - creative design and gaming rules/ideas.

But I do agree with the poster above that Mongoose havent been so far able to provide very decent products. They might look prettier but they still are full of errata and nonsense. And they just keep getting things wrong. Like adding 3d starship plans that looked ghastly and were useless to everyone. No way I am buying any of the updated core products because they all look worse than the old ones.

I hope this new product is professionally done and properly playtested. I mean nobody really needs to create anything from scratch as most stuff can be copied from previous versions, and just updated. Even then though Mongoose seems to mess it up somehow lol. I just dont think they are very good designers. I truly creative designer would never accept half the stuff they have put out. At least the new stuff looks better but its still badly edited, and created by people who have never watched a decent science fiction film in their lives. I used to draw space ships when I was 8 that were better than half the designs they come out with.

Last edited:
I’m not addressing production values or graphics, at all, or Mongoose ability to deliver value or not. All I am talking about is that the focus on having the latest astronomic findings in the worldgen process may be misplaced or not serving customers that are shooting for a more storygenic subsector to set their universe in.

Yes. I like to build sectors using "realistic-ish" science-like rules and they are nothing like the Spinward Marches. A lot more like Hostile. You cannot generate a universe using what we know today and get anything that looks like traditional Traveller subsector.

Yes. I like to build sectors using "realistic-ish" science-like rules and they are nothing like the Spinward Marches. A lot more like Hostile. You cannot generate a universe using what we know today and get anything that looks like traditional Traveller subsector.
Which is just fine. But when designing an actual worldgen system, it should be modular enough to either feed various universe/genres to include pulp or golden age as well as latest science. Modularity would also assist the latter as newer information modifies the ‘as we know it’ changes in stellar system composition.

My Solis is different enough that I have thought of hitting up the auther of Architect of Worlds to do a world builder off of, more realistic. Thought about re-doing a lot of subsystems like that, spacecraft for example. Nevertheless if someone were doing something for the otu, they are probably better off just copying CT Scouts, for continuity's sake.

My Solis is different enough that I have thought of hitting up the auther of Architect of Worlds to do a world builder off of, more realistic. Thought about re-doing a lot of subsystems like that, spacecraft for example. Nevertheless if someone were doing something for the otu, they are probably better off just copying CT Scouts, for continuity's sake.
I am a keen follower of John Z.'s on Patreon, and his recent changes to AoW. He's been "doogfooding" AoW, creating systems for some of his other work. My implementation of AoW has stalled at the protoplanetary disk stage, as I'm waiting for some announced changes.

I am a keen follower of John Z.'s on Patreon, and his recent changes to AoW. He's been "doogfooding" AoW, creating systems for some of his other work. My implementation of AoW has stalled at the protoplanetary disk stage, as I'm waiting for some announced changes.
I keep up mostly through being friends on facebook, is your implementation an automated system generator?

Yes, I am a supporter of his as well. I think you were the one who clued me in. AoW is fantastic.

I read the old Eagle Annual with Dan Dare and Digby having to survive a deadly world full of lethal plants and acid pools etc designed by the Mekon. Then I saw deadly plants and creatures in Star Trek. And watched Forbidden Planet with its fascinating ecosystem. I even wrote my own book about a deadly planet. I loved the CT Alien Encounters book's events. So I've always been fascinated with alien flora and fauna. But I am not a great fan of the way Mongoose have done alien animals to date, I much prefer the old CT animal design, that just felt wfar more realistic to me. So I am hoping Mongoose expand and vastly improve their alien flora and fauna design methodology in this new book.

I keep up mostly through being friends on facebook, is your implementation an automated system generator?
There are times I wish I hadn't withdrawn from social media. Reading your first sentence was one.

It aspires to be, anyway. It started with a desire to create playable/navigable 3D stellar neighborhoods, and got lost in the maps and the math for a while. Once I consciously made some non-canon choices (reducing jump drive range and decreasing system frequency), I steered into creating systems for those star maps.

I tried adapting Book 3, Book 6, and DGP's Grand Survey. Then I found "RTT Complicated Star System Generator", which led me to GURPS Space, and thence to AoW. I've taken some liberties, mainly curve-fitting the results of the roll-and-table-lookup discrete functions into continuous functions. I use Adam Ginsburg's Initial Mass Function [GitHub link] python module to determine stellar mass. I like it better than the others I've tried.

There are times I wish I hadn't withdrawn from social media. Reading your first sentence was one.

It aspires to be, anyway. It started with a desire to create playable/navigable 3D stellar neighborhoods, and got lost in the maps and the math for a while. Once I consciously made some non-canon choices (reducing jump drive range and decreasing system frequency), I steered into creating systems for those star maps.

I tried adapting Book 3, Book 6, and DGP's Grand Survey. Then I found "RTT Complicated Star System Generator", which led me to GURPS Space, and thence to AoW. I've taken some liberties, mainly curve-fitting the results of the roll-and-table-lookup discrete functions into continuous functions. I use Adam Ginsburg's Initial Mass Function [GitHub link] python module to determine stellar mass. I like it better than the others I've tried.
3D maps are great. The density map at 4 is interesting, and it is basically what I have found mapping out 521 of the closest star systems is that they have a tendency to cluster together. Someone noticed on my tech chart I have "jump 3" at TL 11, and that is because Jump 3 really opens the universe. Then one can jump from system to system, and cluster to cluster, there still are voids, though not as much. Like I just published a book Andromeda Dragons name so because of the Upsilon Andromedae, plus Chi and Sigma Draconis stars are the brightest in their zones. Inside the clusters, Jump 2 is sufficient for a lot of Jumps, and there is a Jump 2 main, if one bridges at 61 Cygni, it reaches back to Sol, that I figured initial expansion traveled on. I used GURPS Space which john wrote, as well as regular sources, CT up through T5; I like the RTT System gen though haven't used it. I also have used some of the system generation from AstroSynthesis, and where actual exoplanets are in catalogs such as exokyoto, I just adapted the data to traveller, adding it in. I am always interested in a new system generation program.

Social media is ok, I can't really recommend it, sometimes though it works to find people one wants to follow.

Someone noticed on my tech chart I have "jump 3" at TL 11, and that is because Jump 3 really opens the universe.
So true. J3 has virtually no limits to travel whatsoever once the portion of space volumes that have systems hits about 25%. I ended up tweaking the math to allow for numerous "mains" of 1.5 parsec or less distances, separated by more challenging jumps. Sometimes the routes are only cyclical or temporary, such as those created by the alignment of stars in widely separated binary systems. When I generate a new volume of space, I use a network analysis tool (networkX) to check for clusters and paths between them, hoping for strategically "interesting" arrangements of routes. Geography has so often dictated the limits of human interaction, exchange, and warfare, that I think it's useful to draw on that same abstraction for games played by humans.

So true. J3 has virtually no limits to travel whatsoever once the portion of space volumes that have systems hits about 25%. I ended up tweaking the math to allow for numerous "mains" of 1.5 parsec or less distances, separated by more challenging jumps. Sometimes the routes are only cyclical or temporary, such as those created by the alignment of stars in widely separated binary systems. When I generate a new volume of space, I use a network analysis tool (networkX) to check for clusters and paths between them, hoping for strategically "interesting" arrangements of routes. Geography has so often dictated the limits of human interaction, exchange, and warfare, that I think it's useful to draw on that same abstraction for games played by humans.
The interesting thing about cluster density, is that one can get 5 or so 1-2 jump systems, and then those clusters are separated out by longer jumps. That topography can be added to, by finding real life back door, one little system bridging to the clusters. It sort of reminds me of a brain, with neurons, galaxy wide.

I have not seen a separate thread on this since release, and so thought I would follow up here. Did any of you get this? Does it allow for pulp and hostile-style world building? Does it have the cultural components we saw back in the DGP version?

Back