• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

World Builder Book

I have not seen a separate thread on this since release, and so thought I would follow up here. Did any of you get this? Does it allow for pulp and hostile-style world building? Does it have the cultural components we saw back in the DGP version?
I have got it. It's a very comprehensive and highly detailed system for generating everything you might conceivably want to have in a system. There are cultural components - I can't tell if they are the same as in the DGP system as I don't have that book.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by pulp and hostile-style worlds.

>I'm not sure what exactly you mean by pulp and hostile-style worlds.

Sorry, that was a reference to some comments up thread.

What I meant to ask was, how "realistic" are the amount of habitable worlds. In the sense that the original 1977 game had a lot of habitable worlds (my reference to pulp-style science fiction). We know today it is very unlikely that there are any worlds humans can breathe on (which is the idea in Zozer's Hostile Setting). I was wondering if you build a world from scratch using this system, are you as likely to get a breathable human-habitable world as the basic game? Or do they become rarer? Does the system cater to both?

The book has 10 whole pages on Atmosphere, including variants for planets outside the habitable zone, and detailed generation for exotic and tainted atmospheres, etc. The basic system for worlds in the habitable zone is the same as standard. There's no reason why, for your campaign, you can't change it to create more hostile systems (or indeed do the same with the basic system in the Core Rulebook).

Looking at the section on non-habitable zone worlds, hot and cold worlds increase the chances of insidious, corrosive and exotic atmospheres to varying degrees.

A pulp world is one with jungles and scantily clad women. A hostile world is the same world, but with dinosaurs.
Fast dinosaurs, not the slow, plodding ones we used to think they were when I was a kid. Bipedal, sprinting T-Rexen, not bipedal-plus-tail sit-around-and-wave-those-tiny-claws ones. Venomous Velociraptors. Stegosauri weilding wickedly sharp Thagomizers. (Smithsonian magazine)

Back