• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

House Rule:Simplification of melee combat rules

Baroun Tardis

SOC-12
Baronet
Reading through the whole AMN/DMN thing, it looks like the Endurance part is broken: it is easier to hit people when you're tired.

House rule;
Your Melee number is still Strength+Skill. On any round of combat, you can be agressive or defensive by adding portions of your Dex to either your Attack Melee Number, or your Defense Melee Number.
Getting a hit starts at "Easy" difficulty (1D) and goes up one difficulty every End rounds of combat. (Half for Vigor, Double for Stamina)
The task roll is:
nD6 + victim's DMN <= AMN

Example;
Berserker Barbarian (97A443, Blades-2, Axe) faces off with Clever Musketeer (6A3999, Blades-3,Foil)
Berserker Barbarian's base MN is 11, Clever Musketeer's base MN is 9.

Round 1: Berserker Barbarian comes on like a monster, throwing full Dex to the attack. AMN=18/DMN11. Clever Musketeer is one of those creepy fencer guys who knows what's going on, and splits his Dex to DMN18 (9 points of Dex) and AMN10 (1 point of Dex)
Berserker Barbarian rolls 1d6+Clever Musketeer's DMN 18 <= Berserker Barbarian's AMN of 18. He's can't hit...
Clever Musketeer counter attacks 1d6+Clever Musketeer's AMN 10 <= Berserker Barbarian's DMN 11... Clever Musketeer can't miss.

The two fiddle around dancing, shifting their Dex around until round 4... the Musketeer is getting tired.
Barbarian rolls 1d6+Musketeer's DMN <= Barbarians AMN
Musketeer rolls 2d6+Barbarians DMN <= Musketeers AMN

Presuming this lasts to round 7,
Barbarian rolls 1d6+Musketeer's DMN <= Barbarians AMN
Musketeer rolls 3d6+Barbarians DMN <= Musketeers AMN

And at round 11, the Barbarian finally starts to tire, but the Musketeer is having an even worse day:
Barbarian rolls 2d6+Musketeer's DMN <= Barbarians AMN
Musketeer rolls 4d6+Barbarians DMN <= Musketeers AMN

I want to find my notes on this! /laugh/ They're around here somewhere...

I think the error in the text is regarding which attack roll difficulty levels are reduced by 1D. It makes more sense to me that when a character's End wears down and that character becomes fatigued, then any entity attacking that character only needs to roll 1D instead of 2D due to the character's reduced ability to move defensively due to fatigue. In addition, I would apply a +1D difficulty penalty to the fatigued character's attempted attack rolls.

So, A's End reaches fatigue point. Therefore, any further attacks attempted by A would be at a +1D difficulty = 2D+1D=3D.

Further, any attacks against A would be rolled with a 1D reduction in difficulty = 2D-1D=1D.

At least, that is how I am interpreting this and, if I were to actually use the melee RAW, this is how I would use them. One of these days I WILL post my more detailed thoughts about melee rules for T5.10 (or so I have been telling myself since I first read them, saw this error in them, and was inspired to fiddle with them).

Last edited:
Back