• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General How close is GURPS system to Mongoose 2E+?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I'm trying to find out if GURPS gaming system is similar enough to Mongoose Traveller 2E+ to be able to directly convert animals and characters over to Traveller?

Or is there a conversion document somewhere?

Has anyone used GURPS enough to know?

GURPS is quite different from MongTrav 2e. It is a 3d6 roll under system with a point-buy character creation (with advantages, disadvantages, etc.) and many more differences. That said, IIRC, there was a conversion guide in the GURPS Traveller book.

I'm trying to find out if GURPS gaming system is similar enough to Mongoose Traveller 2E+ to be able to directly convert animals and characters over to Traveller?

Or is there a conversion document somewhere?

Has anyone used GURPS enough to know?
The GURPS rules are, as TJP notes, not compatible in any meaningful way. There's a rough TL correlation, in GT.
The design sequences are also off by enough that the tonnages get messed up.

As everyone noted above. However - the GURPS books are full of a LOT of useful and fun information. And some of the systems could be used in any Traveller game. The Far Trader book, which is based on a high-traffic, big ship universe, has some really interesting trade rules that have voumes of cargo between systems (I tend to divide by 100 to make it work for MTU).

As remarked elsewhere, the GURPS books are also well-researched so a useful source of information. And a lot of gaming stuff, even if couched in a specific rule set, can be used anywhere.

I've got maybe a half dozen physical Traveller GURPS books and use them as resources. Or just to look through as they are nice books.

As everyone noted above. However - the GURPS books are full of a LOT of useful and fun information. And some of the systems could be used in any Traveller game. The Far Trader book, which is based on a high-traffic, big ship universe, has some really interesting trade rules that have voumes of cargo between systems (I tend to divide by 100 to make it work for MTU).

As remarked elsewhere, the GURPS books are also well-researched so a useful source of information. And a lot of gaming stuff, even if couched in a specific rule set, can be used anywhere.

I've got maybe a half dozen physical Traveller GURPS books and use them as resources. Or just to look through as they are nice books.
I doubled the range penalties the one time I used it in play.
I don't disagree with the methods...
but I strongly disagree with their chosen range numbers.

Which was, until the telegraphs came in, almost pure speculation - a very small bit by ship crews, a small bit by 3rd party speculators, and a majority by ship owners. (Few owners went on trade runs from what I have seen of the 19th C trade records.
The advent of the telegraph network on the east cost collapsed speculation; it dropped from most to almost none for domestic sea shipping. When the Trans-Atlantic cable went in, even most of the overseas dropped almost exclusively to demand mode. And trade also shot up in absolute numbers, too, once the telegraph went in.

One can go through a bunch of shipping records at the National Archives.

Back