• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Is Marc open to any Traveller related computer games?

There's one in development for iOS and Android... and he's licensed some in the past for MS-DOS.

I thought that the iPad one was pulled due to programming difficulty?

I guess someone could take the SRD and make one and call it something else though...

Thinking more along the lines of a AAA title. Wing Commander: Privateer felt Traveller-ish ... and of course there were the 2 MT titles.

He must be open to computer games as I just stumbled onto a Traveller MMO site called Traveller6. It looks like it is still in its infancy (they are still recruiting programmers and developers).

Last edited:
Kids are great but you absolutely have no time to do anything. Mind you when they get older they are a ready made RPG group!

Yes, my sons are great, I love them very much, but they were a big lifestyle change, no more marathon gaming sessions. I played some with them, though they preferred computer games over pen and paper, still do afaik, they are out of the house now.

He must be open to computer games as I just stumbled onto a Traveller MMO site called Traveller6. It looks like it is still in its infancy (they are still recruiting programmers and developers).

Thanks for pointing that out. I hope Traveller6 Online becomes a reality.

Kids are great but you absolutely have no time to do anything. Mind you when they get older they are a ready made RPG group!

You must be doing something wrong... my kids have changed who I'll game with, but have never prevented me from gaming! Tho', for a while, the wife and I had to play in different groups.

Seems like kids change, too. Sometimes I feel that they are natural born gamers. Ours can make a game out of anything and everything. I really miss being a kid. :(

TRAVELLER COMPUTER GAMES

Hello all,
Just to get back on topic, here is a list of all Traveller related computer games I know of:

1. Space(1982) (An ancient computer game, where the developers actually got a law suit against them because they didn't get approval to use the Traveller system. It was settled but I don't know where you can find the game anymore.

2. The Zhodani Conspiracy (1990) - This is now available for free from sites like: www.abandonia.com

3. Quest For The Ancients (1991) - The follow up game also available from the above site.

4. A further game was planned but never saw the light of day sadly. I think the box art is on one of the Traveller CDROMS, I'll try and locate it tonight.

All other software has been RPG development related for the main game and the best currently available and most popular seems to be the Campaign Cartographer 3 and the Cosmographer 3 software which is officially licensed.

It would certainly be great to have a new computer game. (Handy while waiting for further games).

New to the forums, but I LOVED the original Traveller PC games (Zhodani + Ancients) and the Traveller universe in general (though I'm a late adopter, as I never owned a set of LBBs). I've always thought of trying to work on a project that was Traveller-based. The closest thing I've found in the PC gaming world is probably Mass Effect, which just doesn't hit the mark. Expressed some interest in Traveller 6, but the project is somewhat on hiatus.

I'd love to know what would be involved in getting a Traveller PC game up and running again, give it a nice new front-end and poke all those gamers that haven't dug much into the PnP RPG world. Maybe start a Kickstarter for development? :) I helped kickstart another space sim recently hoping it'd be similar to what the old games were, but the more I hear, the less I think it'll happen. Oh well.

Megatraveller Game 3

Hello fellow Travellers,
I didn't have time to check this morning but the third Megatraveller game that was planned for a 1992 release from the same company that brought you 'The Zhodani Conspiracy' and 'Quest For The Ancients' where to produce the third game, which was titled: 'Unknown Worlds'.

The run down and plot for the game can be read by purchasing the official Megatraveller CDROM from www.farfuture.net and is under the Misc folder of that package. There you will find the details of all three of the games. As mentioned the first 2 can be downloaded from the link listed in my previous post for free and sadly the third was never developed to completion which is a shame.

I've thought about putting together a front end customized for Traveller to allow for a kind of 'Travellerbook'(yikes how terrible to relate it to Facebook, I know it's just not right) where players can play online, but then there's COTI right here so would it be worth it?

A first person perspective game is has an expensive development cost to do on a large scale(and with the kind of quality that people expect these days). I think another strategy type game similar to the original Megatraveller games but with todays better graphic capabilities and nice artwork would be the best bet. There's even engines that can be adapted and could feature the wonderful art of artists like Andrew Boulton for example. Then the fan developed CGI and animations could be incorporated to give nice inter game movies when certain goals are completed or carried out.

Maybe 'Unknown Worlds' could be brought to life by us fans. :)

Traveller is a game of infinite complexity - you can truly make the universe whatever you want it to be, with nearly endless variables from the simple things like UWP to race/class interactions, politics, trade, you name it. It almost lends itself to being -too- complicated for a PC game, which is why the early Megatraveller games were quite simplified. Simplicity comes with a certain charm. The people born into the Atari and NES days can probably all pick up one of those old action RPGs and play it through to completion. Hell, I installed DosBox just to run MT1 for PC in the last year, and although I didn't get too far in it before the game locked up, it was a ton of fun.

I don't think it's impossible for a group of people who invent universes of infinite complexity to create a game of finite complexity. When you put it that way, sounds like a cake walk. :)

I'd love to know what would be involved in getting a Traveller PC game up and running again, give it a nice new front-end and poke all those gamers that haven't dug much into the PnP RPG world. Maybe start a Kickstarter for development? :) I helped kickstart another space sim recently hoping it'd be similar to what the old games were, but the more I hear, the less I think it'll happen. Oh well.

Computer game development is very expensive, as in millions if you want a triple-a release.

Games...

Computer game development is very expensive, as in millions if you want a triple-a release.

Completely agreed. But I would also add that a mature development team has a great deal more success than a disconnected matrix team. The problem is that many of the AAA groups are Game development organizations looking for funding for the next big Game...not starting from scratch.

Back