• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Marc Miller new novel

Yes it's real. Announced Saturday to the Moot and already exceeding its goals by a factor of fifteen.

Jonathan Bland is a Decider, empowered by the Emperor himself to deal with the inevitable crises of empire. In the service of the Empire, he has killed more people than anyone in the history of Humanity, to save a hundred times as many. He died centuries ago, but they re-activate his recorded personality whenever a new threat appears. When the crisis is over, they expect he will meekly return to oblivion.

He has other ideas.
Some interesting implications for the OTU just in that blurb...

That's what I was thinking...

Not that I'm complaining, it's more in tune with my own vision of the Imperium than what the canon seems to say. But my eyes kind of popped when I read that blurb.

D.

All of which have been in T5 since paid beta.

What surprises me is that such psycho killers as agents of the imperium have featured IMTU for about 3 decades now, and now I find that they're part of Marc's.

The blurb says they have been downloading him for centuries. So is it doable with TL13/14 technology or is it:
a - prototype TL15/16
b - relic technology
c - Ancient technology
d - doable at TL13/14 and I just hadn't noticed.

I really hope the answer is d...

Oh, and when do we get LBB:9 - Decider... ? :)

I'm pretty excited about this and can't wait to get my hardcover copy and enhanced ebook in March! Just the thought of all the additional background information I will be able to add to my campaign and help me flesh things out is enough to get me excited. :)

in T5.09
Effective cloning is at TL 13 and artificial person at TL 16. Note that Life insurance as a mustering out benefit is available whatever the TL of the world you retire off (well... there are no TL restriction stated). The "Archive" where your personnality is stored are located at a unspecified location.

have fun

Selandia

A clone does not have the memories and personality of the original. You need to be able to copy the brain across for that.
What's the TL for memory transfer?

I'm pretty excited about this and can't wait to get my hardcover copy and enhanced ebook in March!

Actually, I believe the enhanced eBook will be available for download in December, according to the Kickstarter page. The physical hardback is due out in March.

Oh my word - I just spent the last half an hour reading up on clones, personalities, wafers...

Transhuman Traveller has been here all along...

Jonathan Bland is a Decider, empowered by the Emperor himself to deal with the inevitable crises of empire. In the service of the Empire, he has killed more people than anyone in the history of Humanity, to save a hundred times as many. He died centuries ago, but they re-activate his recorded personality whenever a new threat appears. When the crisis is over, they expect he will meekly return to oblivion.

He has other ideas.

This is basically the core of Altered Carbon, by Richard K. Morgan. In that series, the powers-that-be keep far-flung worlds in check via U.N. "Envoys," basically software constructs that are downloaded into new bodies and sent out to systems, who tremble at the thought of a single Envoy showing up on their world.

The main differences are that Altered Carbon's universe has no FTL travel, but it does have FTL communication. Hence, Envoys are beamed to the system and downloaded into a new body there.

Also, is it just me, or does "Decider" remind you of President Bush (43)?

A clone does not have the memories and personality of the original. You need to be able to copy the brain across for that.
What's the TL for memory transfer?

JTAS #22 pages 9-12 & 38.
Computer Implants by J. Andrew Kieth

Provides a direct brain-computer wireless connection, TL14+

As far as I can see, this would allow for the entire contents of a human brain to be copied to a sufficiently-complex computer with sufficient memory, which can then be connected to another person with an implant who, with sufficient preparation (personality suppressant, or perhaps a cloned body which has been memory-wiped) can have the stored brain-scan "downloaded" into his/her brain.

Hi all,
I wrote the background music for Marc's Kickstarter campaign video. I asked Marc's permission to make the music available on my SoundCloud page, so here it is if anyone is interested:
https://soundcloud.com/custom-madebackingtracks/the-decider-original-composition
It's not a theme as such, just background music which I designed to enhance Marc's video and not get in the way of his spoken message.
There are a couple of other sci-fi themes on my SoundCloud page which were intended to be used for Spinward Traveller.
Thanks for looking.
Matt

Back