• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non OTU: Modifying the Anagathics rulles

In my universe I have the characters roll a d100 and if they roll a 10 or lower additional treatment the character revives chance of insanity and the chance goes up by + 10

My version is so long as you are taking them, you age extremely slowly. Stop taking them and it's like Dorian Grey. All that time you stopped is accelerated to the present and you grow old rapidly--within weeks to months at the most depending on how long you've been taking them.

Sort of the end result like in Death Becomes Her only instead of being immortal, you turn to dust or the like... Not a good thing.

Could be...

scant details exist of their origins - they are mentioned in T5, they are the baddy in the now discontinued MgT Starter set adventure Fall of Tinath (the adventure hasn't been discontinued, just the Starter set box set) although MgT manages to spell the name wrong...

I don't have them as such. Each TL has ever increasing life span for those born into it and who avail themselves of its medical tech. E.g. TL 13 median lifespan is 150 years, TL 14 200, TL 15 250. With age penalties pushed to the far right of the curve.

N.B. it is median not average.

Last edited:
Should mention the 2300 Equipment Guide approach.

Anagathics in 2300 don't reset, just slow down aging.

It's a random effect, some people's aging is greatly slowed down, others a little bit, and a few unlucky ones age faster.

Definitely a rich person's drug, bat apparently not THAT limited to acquire.

04873edc7664828ae92125f65fd908cd.gif

Shockingly, we have discussed this before! ;) :p :CoW:

Here are posts I've made in earlier threads about the 3 types of anti-aging drugs I have in my TU:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showpost.php?p=232386&postcount=9
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showpost.php?p=609034&postcount=37

In the first link, I later comment
I adjust the ageing table to fit an average life-span of 90 @ tl 9, 100 @ tl 10 (LBB-1 standard), 110 @ 11, etc.
This is without special anti-aging treatments - this is simply with normal medical care at those tech levels.

IMHO, it looks like the original Trav aging is set to average lifespan of 70ish. I can't see how medical technology 3000 years more advanced wouldn't make that absurd.

Niven's Known Space has boosterspice, which is taken intermittantly. It essentially triggers the body to return to a youthful growth state. I got the impression it was a single dose, perhaps an injection. After taking it the body then ages normally. I don't recall any side effects being mentioned.

I always considered the idea of a single dose age-reversal drug to be a cheap way out as a writer, in this case the writer who gave us (or at least popularized) the anagram TANSTAAFL. :nonono:

No, a treatment that would reverse aging and reset the body to youthful vigor would have to be at least somewhat invasive. I would consider a complicated, multi-stage nanobot method administered with careful supervision, tracking the progress of bots through the body, flushing each type after completing the stage of work, etc.

It can't really be safe to allow nanobots that elude the body's immune system to hang around in the body. It might require suppressing the immune system to some degree, which would make in-patient care vital. There would be fairly sensitive limits to density (nanobots per ml) so that normal blood function isn't impaired. Therefore each stage would be gradual as bots moved through the body in some systemmatic way. The bots would probably have to "take their trash with them," otherwise the biological material waste, either as the primary process or as byproduct of the process, would reach toxic levels (little different from radiation sickness).

Each stage might take 3-5 days, and a couple days of rest allowing the immune system to resume normal operation before the next stage. Or perhaps each stage and the follow-up rest period might require a couple weeks.

The process might also be painful, especially if the waste-removal process was imperfect and the patient was essentially suffering radiation sickness throughout each treatment phase, with the rest phase continuing until the waste is thoroughly eliminated.

That way, the time required (at a qualified facility, if you can find one) is a deterrent to excessive treatments in the game, and roleplay of the dread of suffering one would undergo likewise.

Interesting idea, BlackBat, making average plain-vanilla human lifespan TL×10. Adjust aging trigger times by (TL-7)×10 years, I suppose. That still makes aging very steep, once initiated. I would flatten the curve, too. Raise the trigger ages by (TL-7)×(2+½TL) and change intervals from the std 4 years to ½TL years (rounding ½TL up in each calc). That would be for baseline medicine and nutrition without anagathics.

It would probably be homeworld specific, with allowances for lower than average TL homeworlds to have invested in health care to raise effective aging medical specialties TL to average.

As long as it isn't made from tortured baby whales or some such, there is no particular reason why it would be illegal or unethical. The cost and rarity of the skilled professionals and equipment might be enough.

Last edited:
The more likely treatment will be with a genetically engineered virus that resets the aging parameters of your cells.

You go to a clinic, your DNA is probably already on file, and a virus - real or synthetic - is then modified to 'repair' your body via its own cellular machinery. This will require analysing the current state of your cells vs your youthful pattern.

You are injected with the virus and it spreads the new instructions to every cell of your body over the course of the cold you suffer.

Primitive versions of this technology may have... unforeseen consequences.

there are some interesting studies for de-aging. I think it would be a more viral-like approach as well. Never thought about the "waste" products it could produce and, hmm, new rule: you can die not only in character generation but in age-reducing!

For me the biggest impact is actually societal as a much longer lifespan can have some interesting (and unintended) consequences. But that conversation does not belong here, so I leave with this study on reversing aging in mice at least:

https://www.livescience.com/57224-aging-reversible-mice.html

The more likely treatment will be with a genetically engineered virus that resets the aging parameters of your cells.

You go to a clinic, your DNA is probably already on file, and a virus - real or synthetic - is then modified to 'repair' your body via its own cellular machinery. This will require analysing the current state of your cells vs your youthful pattern.

You are injected with the virus and it spreads the new instructions to every cell of your body over the course of the cold you suffer.

Primitive versions of this technology may have... unforeseen consequences.
A virus isn't so easy to control, can mutate in the host. Nanobots are more domesticated and tailored to the need.

A nanobot is a virus - a virus is a nanobot.

You don't just shrink robbie...

Put another way the engineered virus is a nanobot if it it synthetic, and it can be as 'domesticated and tailored' as your 'nanobot'.

Do you think nanobots will be completely mechanical? I am of the opinion that nanobot technology will actually be based on synthetic biology for a whole host of reasons.

Do you think nanobots will be completely mechanical? I am of the opinion that nanobot technology will actually be based on synthetic biology for a whole host of reasons.

mechanical nanobots the size of a virus are probably not possible for many reasons so yes, most likely artificial bio units.

Just curious, if you have anagathics, does this mean that you toss the "aging crisis" part of the rules, as your characters will not be aging, but stay at peak condition? Also, do you toss the whole concept of mandatory retirement, and let characters develop for 10 to 12 or more terms?

Once you have anagathics, unless it's a one time treatment it's not just an aging avoidance it's the basis of your economy as the ultimate commodity, and it's one helluva social control device.

Imagine where your social standing determines access- have to roll SOC- or you don't get any that term.

Just curious, if you have anagathics, does this mean that you toss the "aging crisis" part of the rules, as your characters will not be aging, but stay at peak condition? Also, do you toss the whole concept of mandatory retirement, and let characters develop for 10 to 12 or more terms?

The MegaTrav and TNE versions have limits.
They stop increase in age for purposes of appearance and aging. They only prevent 2 of the 3-4 saves needed per term if apparent age is old enough to need saves.

Also, the first 4 years don't actually stop aging, but do stop the 2 aging saves needed.

So, no, the anagathics don't remove the aging crisis rules; they just make it much less likely.

There are several scifi stories about the social effects.

I recall one short story, where housing shortages forces multi generational families to co exist in one apartment, with the master bedroom reserved for the patriarch.

As I recall the plot, there's an attempt on his life by watering down or replacing his age preservation medication.

The punch line was that his insurrectionist descendants are jailed, which they find rather roomy in comparison, which also reflects current reality in that the elderly now attempt to get jailed for board, lodging and medicare.

At least in Japan.

There are several scifi stories about the social effects.

I recall one short story, where housing shortages forces multi generational families to co exist in one apartment, with the master bedroom reserved for the patriarch.

As I recall the plot, there's an attempt on his life by watering down or replacing his age preservation medication.

The punch line was that his insurrectionist descendants are jailed, which they find rather roomy in comparison, which also reflects current reality in that the elderly now attempt to get jailed for board, lodging and medicare.

At least in Japan.

I recall that story dimly. Maybe in a "Year's Best Sci Fiction" anthology?

Also Blish in They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight/Okie Novels, Book 1) mentions that the anagathic project directors protect the Communist spy to ensure that they will get anagathics too, since the social upheaval will be pretty strong, and they don't want just one side to be handicapped. Besides, the Soviets will be less afflicted anyway, because of the nature of their system means that it's less reliant on people retiring due to old age.

Back