• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Seeking LBB of CT Merchant Prince

I bought the PDF from DriveThruRPG. Maybe I’ll make my own retro copy, because I can make a lot of practice copies for $95.

I bought the PDF from DriveThruRPG. Maybe I’ll make my own retro copy, because I can make a lot of practice copies for $95.
Have you ever used Lulu for such things? I believe you can have copies printed for personal use only (not for sale or distribution), as long as you adhere to this clause (Section 3 of their Terms & Conditions):

"You represent, warrant and covenant that (a) you own or otherwise possess all necessary rights with respect to your Content; (b) your Content does not and will not infringe, misappropriate, use or disclose without authorization, or otherwise violate any intellectual property or proprietary right of any third party"

If in doubt you could consult with DriveThru (or for those of us who purchased the PDFs from FFE, from Marc). And of course if anyone knows my suggestion is wrong speak up. :)

$25 would be nice. If I could get a replica reprint, that would be just fine, but I don’t think FFE is doing that. Yet?

FFE published a book with all 8 LBBs. Of course, it included Merchant Prince...

FFE published a book with all 8 LBBs. Of course, it included Merchant Prince...
Which I own in addition to the CD.

OP you do know about the FFE CDs right? $35 for all the CT content GDW created, including the games. Additional CDs for the third party material.

I have several Traveller CDs (and a thumb drive!) but I’m in the middle of a move and don’t have access to them. These are all great ideas, and thank you.

I would only ever print something like that for myself and my local game. I have the greatest respect for Mr. Miller and all the contributors to Traveller. Distributing illegal copies of its materials would be a violation of all that. Traveller was my first RPG! I can’t treat it like that! 🙂

I looked at the combined book, and again, pretty sure I have a digital copy on at least one CD in a box in a storage container. I just got a hankering for an LBB copy. I like the booklet/zine form factor.

Lulu is popular on Dragonsfoot for producing home copies of the Moldvay/Cook D&D books. I’ve looked at them for that. Also, I have some publishing and production experience and when I’ve made reproductions of game materials in the past, I go local. After I move I may invest in enough gear to do my own zine printing. We’ll see!

I think I may go crawl the classic forum for Merchant Prince discussion now.

Last edited:
Too bad the software game Merchant Prince (Apple II) was never put out in the public domain.
Marc allows it to be distributed provideed attribution of copyright is maintained, so use without guilt if you find it online for free.

For purposes of game play, I'd just go with the download pdf from drivethru (that's legit, isn't it? Faithful copy, at any rate. Or one of the digital issues. The book is sufficiently rare now that it's purely collector territory.

I saw Noble Knight's copy; don't know if he sold it, or just pulled it down. there's another nice example coming up for auction on eBay soon, admittedly at a collectors' price.

Incidentally, I see two copies of Robots out there in the vicinity of $125-$130. Has anyone considered the difference in price between those and Book 7?

My pet theory is that Book 8 was considered unplayable, and consequently more have survived despite fewer editions having been printed; whereas Book 7 was actually played, leading to greater attrition, in addition to it having been printed in smaller numbers than the earlier books.

The issues with Book 8 may actually explain the relative ubiquity of Book 6... I tried ONCE to use those system-building rules in an actual game...

You should be able to take the FFE PDF and get it printed, like at a local FedEx office place. I know I did that with my FF&S (but that's normal paper), but I think they can accommodate 5x8. Probably be cheaper that $25 too.

I just got a hankering for an LBB copy. I like the booklet/zine form factor.

Oh, I definitely feel you there. I keep LBB 1-5 two copies deep for this specific reason, knowing that play will take its toll. But I buy player copies of those, and those don't really exist on the market for LBB 7-8 as far as I can see.

I've used Lulu to print up copies of various game books from PDFs, and a recent ~150 pp digest-sized black and white interior, matte color cover came out to ~$6.50 per copy (shipping inclusive).

I like the booklet/zine form factor.
Me too! My opinion is if you need more than a digest sized booklet then you need to rethink your game design...

Though my working copies of CT are all PDFs now. With the advent of digest sized Tablets that is almost as good as the books

Me too! My opinion is if you need more than a digest sized booklet then you need to rethink your game design...

Though my working copies of CT are all PDFs now. With the advent of digest sized Tablets that is almost as good as the books

I'm so conflicted. There's something very aesthetically correct about playing Traveller on a tablet or a laptop. But a) I'm all thumbs and b) I'm conditioned by decades of play to do my thinking with paper and pencil (and calculator, yeah yeah) so...

Yes, just about everything is laid out with pencil and paper for me before going to the computer. Too much staring at the computer makes me feel punched in the eye.

Back