• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

So, A Traveller CCG - How Does It Work?

Mako

SOC-12
I don't see, and haven't seen much if any info on this, other than the link to the CCG's Starter Set, Vessel Packs, etc..

https://www.travellerccg.com/product/traveller-customizable-card-game-starter-set/

So, how exactly does this game work, and/or play?

Is it designed for solo, or interactive play, and/or perhaps both?

What are the goal(s) for the players, and is there any strategy involved, or is it just primarily based on random chance?

How does it compare to some of the other "Free Trader" game(s)/supplements I recall reading about for solo play (can't recall the names of the good ones right now)?

I do recall reading about some CT supplements, and/or free-standing rules sets for "traders" wanting to try to eeek out a living plying the star lanes with goods, while keeping from going into debt, or getting boarded by pirates.

Would be cool if someone made a short, but concise explanation of the rules for YouTube. I saw one which essentially was the guy reading the rules. I'm sure it's great and his other vids are good but if the YouTube learning video is painful, how will gameplay be?

There are two solo scenarios included with the game and I believe others are available thru the game’s online forum. I’ve only played the solo scenarios, haven’t played against anyone yet.

The cards and tokens are really quite beautiful and it’s fun discovering new cards as you play. Other than the ships and races depicted, there’s nothing specifically OTU referenced in the game that I’ve found. But all the art is really fantastic.

I can’t compare it to other free trader card games as this is the first and only I’ve played. But unfortunately I find it clunky and the game’s icons are counter-intuitive. It gets smoother with each go-around but still it’s fiddly and I can’t hit a stride with it. Not much of a Traveller feel to how the different mechanics work but that’s probably an unfair statement.

I think a streamlined, lite version of the rules would help with new players. It’s probably not so bad if you play CCGs regularly but I don’t.

At it's most basic level, the card game is a picture matching game of resource collection and expenditure. Contracts give you victory points if you can get the right resources, which you collect from your ship and your crew. So at a very high overview type description, if you can match symbols, Pass Go and Collect $200.

As far as the kind of game it is, it has a steeper entry curve than many other card games, partially because some mechanics that are optional in other card games are more core in Traveller.

It ended up including a lot of deeper CCG elements, which we didn't really intend. But it shouldn't have surprised us, since everyone who worked on it plays a lot of these types of games. So it has a mechanical depth that should appeal to people who enjoy CCGs or games of any format that involve interacting effects.

There's not a lot of interest for it here, but if you go to the BoardGameGeek page, our Facebook or the game's Forums, I think you'll get a more accurate sense of what it's like, what people enjoy and what people maybe would have changed.

Here's an example of play video which may be helpful: https://youtu.be/jWYSw7HzWkA

Back