• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

So, Did the Spinward Traveller Debut Happen at Gencon?

... I like good stories. Care to post some in lieu of a Spinward Traveller TV series?
Sorry, no more free stories -- when I said "the stories I could tell", it doesn't mean that I tell them for free (unless you're one of my grandkids). There is little to no profit in writing "on spec" either, unless you have a well-established reputation (and a good lawyer on speed-dial).

... I dunno, make it pay homage to Outland and Aliens kind of thing, with a dash of classic Trek tossed in there.

Right on! I would pay good money to see a well-made homage to Outland because it was a good story with well-developed characters that I cared about that just happened to be set in space. The same goes for Aliens (Alien less so but still valid).

Treat the first story as a full story that introduces a bit of OTU (while staying faithful to the rest) and then expand that with subsequent stories. But most important, make the first story a good story with well-developed characters that people will care about.

Hunter was big on Outland. I think it's an excellent film, though some of the content is a bit adult for the PG setting for the game.

Hunter was big on Outland. I think it's an excellent film, though some of the content is a bit adult for the PG setting for the game.

True, but I can't think of a better film to draw inspiration for the traveler setting from. There are a few close runners-up but that's my top pick.

Of the *published* game. Your table should play to its own age.

(I know my table plays like a bunch of old farts at this point. We all used to think 5 terms was a lot, but we're all on the far side of that now...)

:rofl:I also think at this point, the aging rolls may have to include INT & EDU...

Of the *published* game. Your table should play to its own age.

(I know my table plays like a bunch of old farts at this point. We all used to think 5 terms was a lot, but we're all on the far side of that now...)

When I run adventures, I keep it PG. Not consciously, but that's just what I grew up on, and the kind of narrative I know best.

I threw in some creepy psionic stuff, but nothing terrifying as such, and certainly no graphic violence.

When I saw Firefly or Serenity, I was really taken aback by just how unstable the captain and his crew were. It strikes me as being the antithesis of Traveller for all of its homages to the game and other film genres.

To me, what little I've seen of the Spinward trailer, looks very G-Rated. So it's probably not a series for the likes of me, but it'll be interesting to see what comes down the pipe.

When I saw Firefly or Serenity, I was really taken aback by just how unstable the captain and his crew were. It strikes me as being the antithesis of Traveller for all of its homages to the game and other film genres.
Really? It reminded me of nearly every Traveller game I've played since '77.

I got a real kick out of that scene in the movie when they were robbing that bank and then had to deal with the Reavers. Almost like I was sitting at a table watching the players in action.

Traveller was never Jason of Star Command for me. It was always Firefly.

It was both for me.

Adv 8 Prison Planet added in a dose of Hogan's Heroes. (It was the only prison show I knew at the time... and my players took to buttering up the guards...)

I guess what I'm saying is that the trailer does look more like a Jason of Star Command for younger viewers, but given that my gaming sessions tended to be more adult in theme, that I thought a Traveller based TV series might be like a classic Star Trek in terms of story content; romance, espionage, wars, sexual intrigue, social commentary and the like.

It's my opinion that shows when I was growing up were about presenting examples to people. Shows today are about letting people vent pent up fantasies. And I think Serenity/Firefly comes from that mold, verse Babylon-5 which is more didactic in tone. A Traveller show aimed at pre-teens will probably be about showing examples of how to behave as opposed to letting pre-teens vent their fantasies about shredding homework or dancing on the teacher's desk. I mean, I'm assuming that, and I think that's a reasonable assumption, since you want to help mold young minds.

Best of luck.

Just off the top of my head here, what might be kind of cool is an Ogre CGI feature film. Mega tanks slugging it out with nuclear weapons....now that's entertainment :D

The problem with a Traveller TV Series is it has missed the X-Boat and now can only Jump-1 to Sharki (Antares 1936).

Dark Matter was practically Traveller right down to the Megacorporations, Killjoys is just as good a go at the concept, and The Expanse (whilst in a TL 9 universe) has some classic Traveller plots. All of these succeeded in being different enough to not be Firefly 2, any subsequent series will just be seen as a pale imitation or ripoff of the ones before it (even though we fan boys know better).

I'd still like to see it happen, though.

Currently stuck at the third episode of Lost In Space.

Wanted to finish it before commenting, but so far, very much Adventure Class type of adventure that should be emulated in Traveller.

Back