• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

So, Did the Spinward Traveller Debut Happen at Gencon?

Traveller as a western:
the horse - short range travel around the place of adventure, the grav vehicle
the stagecoach - travel from town/city to town/city, the spaceship insystem
the railway - interstate travel, the starship jump drive.

Traveller as a western:
the horse - short range travel around the place of adventure, the grav vehicle
the stagecoach - travel from town/city to town/city, the spaceship insystem
the railway - interstate travel, the starship jump drive.

I think it can be. But when I think of Traveller I tend to think beyond just the official adventures, including things like Belt Strike or Tarsus. I really do toss in stuff from all scifi sources into the mix, and the best that fits, stays. :)

Upon reflection, a lot of the "atmosphere" for all the sessions I was involved with had a kind of Blade Runner and Doctor Who vibe going for it. Kind of like James Bond meets Star Wars sort of thing.

Again, it'll be interesting to see what comes down the line.

A quick note to Mister Marc Miller (Avery), if you ever do get a Traveller film/series off the ground, please hold onto the ownership until you rejoin the cosmos. I beg you, do not take the George Lucas route and sell it to some corporate entity like a Disney. that way lies madness.

Your faithful fan and customer.

A quick note to Mister Marc Miller (Avery), if you ever do get a Traveller film/series off the ground, please hold onto the ownership until you rejoin the cosmos. I beg you, do not take the George Lucas route and sell it to some corporate entity like a Disney. that way lies madness.

Your faithful fan and customer.

I dunno, pretty sure despite the griping George is pretty content with his cut of the $4B Disney paid.

He also gets to see his create explode in to 5 huge movies in as many years, plus "Star Wars" land, something he never managed (or cared to) pull off.

I suspect that after The Crystal Skull, he decided that fans should have an experience that would make them nostalgic for when he was the show runner.

I dunno, pretty sure despite the griping George is pretty content with his cut of the $4B Disney paid.

He also gets to see his create explode in to 5 huge movies in as many years, plus "Star Wars" land, something he never managed (or cared to) pull off.

Financially I'm sure that's true, but it still doesn't mean the film was good. None of the Star Wars films have been high on drama or "good" in terms of traditional drama, save for a few choice scenes. I think Disney put their best technical foot forward, and that's about all you can say about it.

Hey look, I have nothing against Disney's films. I just hope that if whatever Traveller media comes about, that it's unfettered or disconnected from a larger corporate entity.

What if Disney were to produce a Traveller movie or film? What would it look like? I'm guessing technically it would look better than the Spinward Traveller trailer, but storywise it might be something radically different.

Disney seems unlikely to adopt another scifi space opera franchise.

Rumour has it, that they knew they had Star Wars in the bag, and thus the lacklustre support for John Carter.

Though it may have been more an editing problem.

What if Disney were to produce a Traveller movie or film? What would it look like?
Disney, ha:
Jjportrait.jpg

... For a Traveller TV series, a week in jump doesn't necessarily mean a week's worth of story time watching the crew play games or watching movies. Cinematically it may appear as a Star Wars like hyperspace jump, but again with the implied message that a week's worth of time has passed.

1) A computer voice says, "Jump Sequence Activated". The screen fades to black, the show cuts to the commercial, and when the show returns, the same computer voice says, "Precipitating from jump in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...".

2) As #1, but the following scene shows a montage of mundane crew activities: preventive maintenance on ship's equipment, meals, rec-room activities, et cetera, before the fade to commercial.

3) As #1, but there is an explosion that rocks the ship. The crew must spent the next on-screen week (or more) assessing the damage, making repairs, and trying to survive.

4) As #1, but one of the passengers is found dead. The next day, one of the principle characters is attacked, but survives in a coma. The remaining characters must determine who the assailant is before someone else is hurt or killed.

5) As #4, but the next day, the passenger recovers and behaves as if nothing unusual has happened. Is she a robot? Psionic? Zhodani?

6) As #4, but the victim is found in possession of an Imperial Warrant and a poorly-encrypted holocrystal that seems to describe the victim's mission to assassinate a popular political figure.

I'm sure that professional writers can come up with even more options for in-jump stories.

1) A computer voice says, "Jump Sequence Activated". The screen fades to black, the show cuts to the commercial, and when the show returns, the same computer voice says, "Precipitating from jump in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...".

2) As #1, but the following scene shows a montage of mundane crew activities: preventive maintenance on ship's equipment, meals, rec-room activities, et cetera, before the fade to commercial.

3) As #1, but there is an explosion that rocks the ship. The crew must spent the next on-screen week (or more) assessing the damage, making repairs, and trying to survive.

4) As #1, but one of the passengers is found dead. The next day, one of the principle characters is attacked, but survives in a coma. The remaining characters must determine who the assailant is before someone else is hurt or killed.

5) As #4, but the next day, the passenger recovers and behaves as if nothing unusual has happened. Is she a robot? Psionic? Zhodani?

6) As #4, but the victim is found in possession of an Imperial Warrant and a poorly-encrypted holocrystal that seems to describe the victim's mission to assassinate a popular political figure.

I'm sure that professional writers can come up with even more options for in-jump stories.

2) more for a feature film, rarely used for TV, though I suppose it is doable.

3) that's an episode :)

4) I actually have this script partially written out, and it's a "shocker" who the assailant / murderer actually is.

5) *insert intriguing adventure music here*

6) ... have you considered writing any of these up? you're a screenwriter waiting to happen. I recommend Movie Magic Screenwriter. Kinda pricey, but worth the cost, and actually better than that other "leading brand".

... have you considered writing any of these up? you're a screenwriter waiting to happen. I recommend Movie Magic Screenwriter. Kinda pricey, but worth the cost, and actually better than that other "leading brand".
Ahh ... the stories I could tell ... cattle calls ... managers ... pitching scripts ...

Hollywood is not for weregeeks like me -- it's for people who know how to hustle a con and promise more than they can ever deliver, and do it all on someone else's dime. Besides, for every 'new' story idea that you or I could present, somewhere on file are hundreds more just like it, and science-fiction stories are not really in fashion right now.

I want to submit a few adventures to Miller, Mongoose, et al., but what are my chances?

I want to submit a few adventures to Miller, Mongoose, et al., but what are my chances?
Above average.
Aim for the magazines to get something published and build name recognition.
Then pitch a full on adventure module.

At the end of the day, Marc and Matthew are just a couple of guys that love Traveller and put their pants on one leg at a time ... just like the rest of us. They are not THAT unapproachable, they are just very busy.

Ahh ... the stories I could tell ... cattle calls ... managers ... pitching scripts ...

Hollywood is not for weregeeks like me -- it's for people who know how to hustle a con and promise more than they can ever deliver, and do it all on someone else's dime. Besides, for every 'new' story idea that you or I could present, somewhere on file are hundreds more just like it, and science-fiction stories are not really in fashion right now.

Which is why I stayed up here :D

I like writing scripts when there's a good story. I like good stories. Care to post some in lieu of a Spinward Traveller TV series? :)

Back