• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5.09 Errata Discussion Thread

I like the suggestion that allows for the possibility of >10, but keeps it limited. Because I'm confused this morning, what are the options again?

My proposal would be to change "If 2D -2 =10, reroll 1D + 9" to "If 2D -2 = 10, then roll 10 + flux, with all results <10 =10."

I like the suggestion that allows for the possibility of >10, but keeps it limited. Because I'm confused this morning, what are the options again?

OPTIONS:
1) [FONT=arial,helvetica]If [2D - 2] =10, reroll [1D + 9]; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica] 2) [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]If [2D - 2] =10, reroll [2D + 3], and treat rolls <10 as 10; [/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica] 3) [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]If [2D - 2] =10, add [GOOD FLUX] to the roll of 10[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica] 4) Roll [3D - 3][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica] 5) Roll [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][3D - 3] + [BAD FLUX][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
[/FONT]

TL Modifiers

T5 introduces a couple of interesting new concepts that probably should be considered in determining TL during mainworld generation (p 409).

• Just as low-gravity worlds have TL modifiers, the high gravity "new" world sizes should also have mods to the TL roll. Suggest B, C, and D have +1 mods, and E, F +2
  • The climate codes should also affect TL. Suggest Frozen worlds (Fr) get a +1 mod

Lasers

Page 217, in Gunmaker. Why can laser weapons have burden codes of very heavy and very light, but not heavy and light? Is this necessary to match an existing weapon from a previous rule version?

I like the results weighted towards size 10 that method 2 above produces.

2) If [2D - 2] =10, reroll [2D + 3], and treat rolls <10 as 10

Looks like Post #251 in the T5.09 Errata thread was the last entry that Don put into his document for his November 9 review with Marc.

And, if I'm reading this document right, the following count of items are in review (ranging from typo fixes on up to a wholesale management action e.g. Combat)

Character Generation: 9
Skills: 1
Senses: 1
Personal Combat: 22, of course. Many of these are mine.
Armor: 3
Various damage notes: 2
GunMaker: 22
ArmorMaker: 7
VehicleMaker: 19. Some of these are mine.
Starports: 1
ACS: 26. Many of these are mine
How Sensors Work: 2
How Weapons Work: 7
Space Combat: 3
World Gen: 8
Trade: 5
Technology: 8
Psionics: 3
Sophont Creation: 1
Robots: 11
BeastMaker: 4
Equipment: 4
EPIC: 1
Starship List: 2

Last edited:
Psionic's - remote range

Looking at page 532, the REMOTE ability determines the maximum range a psionic can sense, manipulate, or otherwise go psionically. I didn't see a range limit for the psionic remote ability in the T5.09 rules.

Maximum value for remote is out to range=Psi. A child tested in infancy (Zho, for example) could have a starting Psi score of 15, ergo remote range R=15. This equates to SPACE RANGE 10, or 3 light minutes range! (Actually, further, because they could apparently go halfway to the next range band, which at 11 (S=6) is EIGHT light minutes.

With that limit, and applying the maximum of 15 points to his remote score, a psionic could teleport (for example) out to space range S=10 (R=15) or THREE LIGHT MINUTES from his starting point. Oh, and that teleport is instantaneous.

There are some constraints - he'd have to allocate points to remote as well as to teleport ability. It is line of sight, but then again if he added points to remote sensing he could do it. Oh, and if he had out-of-body ability, he could double that range -- OOB could get him to a remote point at range S=10, and then he could use psi sight to go another 3 light minutes.

It would take that psionic 15 seconds to go OOB to the limit of his range, another 15 seconds to use psi-sight to see the destination an additional 3 lm away, and then a fraction of a second to teleport there. So, about 31 seconds to travel nearly up to about one AU!!!!!

For what is is worth, at psi-15 I could get OOB, sight, and teleport to a level that success is automatic, and still have plenty of ability points left over to do other things.

Not bad, eh? IMTU I could have some serious fun with this.

If remote range is limited to range R=11 (one light second) it might make many folks happier, since psionics would no longer exceed the speed of light.

Then again, maybe psionics is simply the ability to access P-space, the psionic equivalent of jump space.

I was thinking that range could be limited to R=Psi, or R=11, whichever is less, as an automatic limit. Allow Psi times 4 points to be allocated to Self and Direct rather than Psi times 6 points spread among Self, Direct, and Remote.

Enough rambling...errata worthy?

So here's one errata: are psionic tasks faster than other tasks?

If we assume that "line of sight" requires SEEING one's landing spot, then I would think that "line of sight" ends based on the Size of the object you're teleporting. Or even Size minus one. So, the destination for a Size 5 object (a person) can be "seen" at R=5, or around 1 km. Or even R=4, or 500m. If so, then that WOULD be errata to add to the Teleport section.

You still could use OOB to "see" a further destination, in which case your can of worms still applies.

Finally, make sure he's insulated:

T5.09 p534 said:
an Altitude R= increase inflicts Cold equal to R; an
Altitude decrease inflicts Hot equal to R.

One AU is 16 world range bands. Moving outward 1 AU inflicts 16D Cold damage. Wear protection equal to or better than Insulated 56. Or just move one AU across the same orbit.

Last edited:
The Hot/Cold damage is (most probably) from the gravitational potential difference from the two points, so it would bypass Insulation.

What you would need is surgically implanted micro-heat sinks all around the body, or an external heat sink with some system (depending on how energy is extracted/added to the teleporting subject) to have it cope with the energy difference.

The errata would be to specify those details.

The new high population codes still occur too often in randomly generated worlds. The change from 1D6 + 9 to 2D6 +3 helps a lot, but I have a Silverlight app I use to generate sectors, and every sector randomly generated is now more populated than all other canon sectors combined. This output is typical:

"The Irves Sector is comprised of 644 worlds. The highest tech level is 18 at Paanpaa. The population is approximately 30662249 billion."

It seems to me that populations above A would more like Naval Depots...in the realm of the GM. If it had to still be random, decreasing the frequency even more still seems in order.

The Hot/Cold damage is (most probably) from the gravitational potential difference from the two points, so it would bypass Insulation.

What you would need is surgically implanted micro-heat sinks all around the body, or an external heat sink with some system (depending on how energy is extracted/added to the teleporting subject) to have it cope with the energy difference.

The errata would be to specify those details.

The FACT of gravitational potential difference elegantly solves the problem of psionic teleportation at solar system ranges: it will cook or freeze you if you teleport too far in one sitting.

One errata might be to note that "armor cannot protect you against this", or alternately, that "Insulation" in tech armor includes the concept of heat sink.

Micro-heat sinks are interesting to consider as an alternative, and I suspect robot bodies probably have heat sinks of this sort already. Therefore there needs to be a mention, since a robot body could potentially have an organic brain with psionic capability.

The way to counteract that is to also successfully execute an e-shift, which is another psionic skill.

The new high population codes still occur too often in randomly generated worlds.

2D-2 = 10 occurs about 3% of the time.

Then from there, 2D+3 hits 11 through 15 about 40% (13+11+8+5+3) of the time.

Thus in a sector of 500 worlds, the population is likely to be in the hundreds of billions or greater in 1.2% of the worlds, or 6 worlds.

Note also that world TL can range up to about 20. This too is not Charted Space.

In short, the rules for the OTU are different than the rules in the T5 BBB. T5 BBB is not chained to the setting.

The rules for the OTU need to be spelled out - but not in the T5 BBB.

In short, the rules for the OTU are different than the rules in the T5 BBB. T5 BBB is not chained to the setting.

The rules for the OTU need to be spelled out - but not in the T5 BBB.

That's very good to know! I think quite a few people (myself included) have taken the BBB rules as OTU.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

The new high population codes still occur too often in randomly generated worlds. The change from 1D6 + 9 to 2D6 +3 helps a lot, but I have a Silverlight app I use to generate sectors, and every sector randomly generated is now more populated than all other canon sectors combined

Random generation is just that though. It should be the start of the generation of a setting, not the end. If there's too great a population generated for your setting then just reduce it. Tailor it to your intent.

That's very good to know! I think quite a few people (myself included) have taken the BBB rules as OTU.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

More correctly, they're the default mechanics for a later milieu than has yet been published, but that period will also tweak them in published sectors...

Random generation is just that though. It should be the start of the generation of a setting, not the end. If there's too great a population generated for your setting then just reduce it. Tailor it to your intent.

Yeah. That makes sense and I have been doing just that. It just struck me as odd that I was doing it for every sector, and it is a pretty big departure from generation results of previous versions.

For my program, I'll probably just implement a flat cap on population generation that can be turned on or off.

Should there be a maximum size for satellites in the T5.09 rules based upon the size of the world they are orbiting? I seem to recall some sort of rule in the old WTH?

Regards

Page 112 - Skills

Since Language specifies a specific knowledge, like Career and World, I believe that Language should also be listed under the Specialized category.

Back