• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 status

Impact rules don't make sense

On page 202 of Core Book 1 it says to calculate "Ram Number", but I don't see where in the rules it's given how to calculate it.

Instead, there is an Impact Number calculated from the Speed. "The Impact Process" further down details the Target Number for the Attack as Defender C2 minus Impact Number, but that's nonsensical, as it makes it easier to hit more agile opponents (and nearly impossible to hit an immobile C2=0 target).

Indeed, in the example given it's actually a roll by the defender to avoid impact.

In absence of errata, I'm going to go with the latter implied interpretation that the Attacker tries to Ram (I suppose Ram number should be 12 - defenders speed, or somesuch, on 2D) and the Defender tries to avoid using C2 with higher speed attackers being more difficult. The Ram number, if it ever surfaces, should probably also account for the defenders size (i.e. it should be easy to ram your starfighter into the enemy battleship, but the reverse is not necessarily true).

Enjoying rules

I should say I'm enjoying this incarnation of the rules. Reading through the rules in between compilations, as it were.

As a physicist, I'd probably replace "Jump" with "Alcubierre warp", "Fusion+" with "Monopole Catalysis", and a few other things (e.g. Hard AI proves impossible), but this toolkit certainly allows all of that.

Preach it!

I should say I'm enjoying this incarnation of the rules. Reading through the rules in between compilations, as it were.

As a physicist, I'd probably replace "Jump" with "Alcubierre warp", "Fusion+" with "Monopole Catalysis", and a few other things (e.g. Hard AI proves impossible), but this toolkit certainly allows all of that.
Yeah, that's what I love about T5 too! It's like Ultimate Traveller with all the tools that it packs. Plus, that 3 Book style being back, totes voted for it in the Privy Council. :D

So what do you mean by Hard AI? Full-on sentience or just Turing levels of simulation?

EDIT: "Monopole Catalysis", is that perchance the proper name of cold fusion? I used to have copies of the first two papers on that not mention UW-Madison's lab exploding. :)

Last edited:
You can purchase the T5.10 pdfs from DriveThruRPG for download or you can purchase them on disc from Far Future Enterprises.

I looked there and T5 isn't a listed rule set. Only T4, New Era & Mongoose. I'll keep searching though

Updated: I found it by searching all Traveller titles by price, highest to lowest. The search function wouldn't return on "traveller 5". So I found them!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I love about T5 too! It's like Ultimate Traveller with all the tools that it packs. Plus, that 3 Book style being back, totes voted for it in the Privy Council. :D

So what do you mean by Hard AI? Full-on sentience or just Turing levels of simulation?

EDIT: "Monopole Catalysis", is that perchance the proper name of cold fusion? I used to have copies of the first two papers on that not mention UW-Madison's lab exploding. :)

Hard AI is Artificial General Intelligence. There are “AI Complete” problems similar to NP Complete problems (e.g. Travelling Salesman) that would require AGI. Some examples seem to be computer vision and natural language processing, both of which currently require human input.

A magnetic monopole is dual to the electric charge. If they exist (or can be created, such as in weak symmetry breaking regimes) they convert baryons into their antimatter complements, e.g. a proton into an anti-proton.

Such exotic particles make the manufacture and storage of antimatter rather easy.

Too bad the T5 rules seem to require hydrogen only for jumps, but I’ll probably work up the antimatter warp drive equivalent.

Too bad the T5 rules seem to require hydrogen only for jumps, but I’ll probably work up the antimatter warp drive equivalent.

T5 has two options for not using Hydrogen for fuel, you can use the Collectors to gather a charge of exotic particles. Or you can use the TL-17 antimatter power systems instead of the fusion /hydrogen system.

Nope.

So Jump in T5 doesn't require hydrogen?
That is correct, as long as you have the energy to feed to the Jump Drive you're fine. You will still need a fusion or antimatter power plant for ship operations but the actual Jumps can be done with whatever system you have as long as it delivers the proper level of EPs.

That is correct, as long as you have the energy to feed to the Jump Drive you're fine. You will still need a fusion or antimatter power plant for ship operations but the actual Jumps can be done with whatever system you have as long as it delivers the proper level of EPs.

This is actually consistent with JTAS #24, it was just never developed further in any of the subsequent versions because of the impact of jump fuel on ship design.

In JTAS #24, it's power -> charge capacitors -> dump to jump drive. It could even been solar powered.

That's even highlighted a bit in High Guard, with the caveat about fuel.

"If a ship absorbs enough energy to make a jump, and is supplied with sufficient fuel, it may jump at the end of the turn."

This is talking about filling the capacitors with energy, ostensibly from a black globe, to power the jump. But it still highlights a fuel requirement.

This is actually consistent with JTAS #24, it was just never developed further in any of the subsequent versions because of the impact of jump fuel on ship design.

In JTAS #24, it's power -> charge capacitors -> dump to jump drive. It could even been solar powered.

That's even highlighted a bit in High Guard, with the caveat about fuel.

"If a ship absorbs enough energy to make a jump, and is supplied with sufficient fuel, it may jump at the end of the turn."

This is talking about filling the capacitors with energy, ostensibly from a black globe, to power the jump. But it still highlights a fuel requirement.
I agree, that's because HG80 only deals with fusion power plant enabled jump drives.

The charged capacitors are only a fraction of the energy required to jump, the dumping of a huge amount of hydrogen through the reactor is needed to generate the rest - HG80 doesn't go into these details but they can be inferred from MWM's article.

Marc's article clearly states that collectors and antimatter power plants can replace the fusion plant/hydrogen fuel requirement, i.e. collectors and antimatter plants do not need the hydrogen.

One of those things that Marc assimilated in a consistent way, in the process of answering several Holy War topics with rules.

high guard said:

This was partly carried over to Traveller5.

Book 2 p183 said:
A ship with Jump Drive can shift internal temperature to its Jump Drive Capacitors: the total possible is Tons times Jump Potential.

A risk of doing this is in overloading the ship's capacitors. Otherwise, though, it looks like you could jump by having someone shoot repeatedly at your black globe, and shunting the heat energy to the jump capacitors. It doesn't say that, but the implication is there. Also, depending on how evil your referee is.

"We recognize that we have more to do: adventures, the Player's Handbook, and more projects that will see the light of day in the coming year or two. I'll try to do a "Coming For Traveller In 2020" post sometime in December."
Marc Miller Nov 2019

Did any of this ever get done, or did Traveller 5 just end up a 2019 cash cow for Marc with no follow up products made since? No point in having rules if there are no supporting products to use with them.

Here are some quotes from the original T5 kickstarter at my pledge level:
By popular demand, we have committed to producing the Traveller5 Player's Book: a handy digest-size rules reference tailored for use by Players but without the (primarily) Referee’s rules. We expect to produce a printed version in Spring 2013, but every Backer who orders a Book will receive a link to an Ebook version when it is complete.
We'll use your [ character / ship ] name in a rules example in the text of the Traveller5 Core Hardcover book,
and we create an Illustration for inclusion in the upcoming EPIC Galaxiad adventure.
Subject to naming review, and perhaps some negotiation for canonicity and atmosphere.
Several of these characters non-human and ship designs will be non- human.

$950 for a book I later bought a second copy of at the FLGS and yet another copy of CT. I didn't even get a complimentary set of dice. It's not the money so much as the lack of progress on Galaxiad and Player's Guide.
Galaxiad NPC and art? Nope.
Player's Guide? Nope

The 5.1 kickstarter said there would be an adventure, did that ever get published?

Back