• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Tech Level Theft in the Third Imperium?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
The concept of varying Tech Levels in the Imperium would, to me, inspire or incite a lot of theft near Starports.

I mean, someone walking off the tarmac at a TL-11 world with all of the new and neat TL-14 gadgets and gizmos is going to draw a lot of attention. And people would be watching.

There would/should be an enormous black market, too, I think.

So how do you handle Tech Level theft in your game?

The concept of varying Tech Levels in the Imperium would, to me, inspire or incite a lot of theft near Starports.

Ah, Tech Level... What does it really mean? From my professional Pov. it's the general infrastructure shorthand. In that the amount of sophistication of the world native manufacturing sector. Which is a metric.

Traveller trends towards a more societal view of it. Which is kinda weird if one stipulates trade between worlds exists.

Related, much of our lives and material culture has a much lower "Tech Level" than what Traveller would indicate.

I mean, someone walking off the tarmac at a TL-11 world with all of the new and neat TL-14 gadgets and gizmos is going to draw a lot of attention. And people would be watching.
Or, more like you are rich foreigner, and you get mugged because you look rich.

There would/should be an enormous black market, too, I think.

So how do you handle Tech Level theft in your game?
While theft can be a issue...

I treat it as regular theft, though it really depends. When we were in Cairo in the 90's someone left their video camera at the cafe, and the help just set it on the table, and nobody stole it. You couldn't have done that in Rome, however.
Heh, in Mombossa you have to watch your shoes....

Looks like not in Kansas anymore Toto territory.

Some planets would be aghast at AI food prep robots being introduced. Others would treat starport thieves as cultural heroes stealing from the privileged starman.

Striker provided a big clue in that it’s really expensive to keep tech going outside of its natural level on actual use.

It was a resource management game to force merc operators to focus buys on clever force multipliers while costing them out of just rolling the locals with star tech magic, but no reason it wouldn’t apply to more civilian gear.

Won’t be hard finding it if it’s used, not too many lasers on TL5 worlds.

Speaking of, I would also roll legality- law level or below, it’s illegal to import for safety, cultural, tech disruption or even just failing to pay duty taxes. And thus become that much more valuable.

This is how players get addicted to cargo falling off the ship smuggling/sales.

1. Industrial espionage - between megacorporations, and polities.

2. I remember stories where American high schoolers steal sport shoes from each other.

3. A more recent story has local (seniors) infiltrate an open air music event, and steal stuff like unattended laptops from a Chinese mainland city promoted concert.

They signed up to free trade within the Imperium, to go against this would result in interdiction.
and one thing to note: if it is higher tech than your society can maintain, it will probably just become an expensive paper weight/door stop at some point if it needs a power source and you can't renew it.

Though I'd also argue that, depending on the thing stolen, it may be more durable/require less maintenance/self-powered and charging. Higher tech may be more complicated or contradictorily be actually simpler/easier to maintain than a lower-tech item doing the same thing.

edit: I'd also postulate that near the starport there would be a TL closer matching the port itself as the "dropped off the backend of the ship" thing or even regular trade would allow for a diffusion of technology.

You kind of run into the problem of The Library in David Brin's Uplift series, which contains the sum total knowledge of all the sentient species in all of the Five Galaxies ... which then leads to the condition of "everything has been done and solved before" making it difficult to add new knowledge to the database. It's not impossible to "find something new" which has never been recorded before, but when you've got a Library that contains the knowledge output of millions of alien species gathered across billions of years ... most of the unknowns have already been examined and scrutinized by someone already.

You kinda sorta have the same thing going on with various tech levels in an interstellar setting. Worlds that are low tech level and are part of a broader interstellar polity KNOW that fusion power and starships and lasers and all kinds of "space magic" technology exists and works ... they just can't make and maintain it themselves. They can be consumers (and even scavengers) of high tech stuff, but not producers of it. The low tech worlds don't have the supply chain and industrial base to make the high tech widgets themselves ... but they can still import them and make use of them (and need to buy more of them when the previous purchase inevitably fails or breaks or otherwise needs replacing).

My point being that just because a world is low tech doesn't ipso facto mean that high tech is necessarily "unavailable" (because it can be imported) ... but that high tech will definitely be at the far end of a supply chain and will definitely be more challenging to support and keep operational (not impossible, but the parts and spares for maintenance and repairs will be more problematic). This is why I take the approach that building up your operations on a "locally sustainable" industrial and supply chain basis for your technology is the long term wiser choice, because it means that the "less capable" lower tech stuff is less likely to fail you at critical moments and will be easier/cheaper to repair and maintain. In other words, high tech gear in low tech settings is better thought of as being "disposable" because when it breaks, you probably can't fix it (locally) and will simply need to use a duplicate spare as a replacement (until that one breaks down too under usage).

To use a real world example ... just because a nation on Terra doesn't build its own cell phone devices, doesn't mean that cell phone hardware and service is unavailable. There are iPhones in use in countries that can't or don't build them, because the technology is imported ... but when those devices break or otherwise age out of service, the local in-country supply chain and industrial base can't fabricate a new iPhone locally, because they're not manufactured locally in-country ... the iPhones are imported. So in order to meet demand for the product, a supply chain network of imports from foreign sources has to be set up to supply the local market demand.

Same thing would happen (more or less) with technology differentials between worlds in a Traveller setting (it's just the scale that changes). Imported technology that is "higher" than what can be manufactured and produced locally can have a local demand but no local supply, in effect "forcing" an interstellar trade demand condition that merchant ships would then be "obliged" to meet (because there are profits to be made in doing so). Consequently, the higher the volume of interstellar trade a world engages in, the greater the opportunity for "anachrotech" to be in use and/or available on that particular low(er) tech world. Just don't expect those high tech items to be ubiquitous and in use everywhere by everyone (because, imports bottleneck in the supply chain).

And the merry-go-round just keeps on spinning ...

You kind of run into the problem of The Library in David Brin's Uplift series, which contains the sum total knowledge of all the sentient species in all of the Five Galaxies ... which then leads to the condition of "everything has been done and solved before" making it difficult to add new knowledge to the database. It's not impossible to "find something new" which has never been recorded before, but when you've got a Library that contains the knowledge output of millions of alien species gathered across billions of years ... most of the unknowns have already been examined and scrutinized by someone already.

You kinda sorta have the same thing going on with various tech levels in an interstellar setting. Worlds that are low tech level and are part of a broader interstellar polity KNOW that fusion power and starships and lasers and all kinds of "space magic" technology exists and works ... they just can't make and maintain it themselves. They can be consumers (and even scavengers) of high tech stuff, but not producers of it. The low tech worlds don't have the supply chain and industrial base to make the high tech widgets themselves ... but they can still import them and make use of them (and need to buy more of them when the previous purchase inevitably fails or breaks or otherwise needs replacing).

My point being that just because a world is low tech doesn't ipso facto mean that high tech is necessarily "unavailable" (because it can be imported) ... but that high tech will definitely be at the far end of a supply chain and will definitely be more challenging to support and keep operational (not impossible, but the parts and spares for maintenance and repairs will be more problematic). This is why I take the approach that building up your operations on a "locally sustainable" industrial and supply chain basis for your technology is the long term wiser choice, because it means that the "less capable" lower tech stuff is less likely to fail you at critical moments and will be easier/cheaper to repair and maintain. In other words, high tech gear in low tech settings is better thought of as being "disposable" because when it breaks, you probably can't fix it (locally) and will simply need to use a duplicate spare as a replacement (until that one breaks down too under usage).

To use a real world example ... just because a nation on Terra doesn't build its own cell phone devices, doesn't mean that cell phone hardware and service is unavailable. There are iPhones in use in countries that can't or don't build them, because the technology is imported ... but when those devices break or otherwise age out of service, the local in-country supply chain and industrial base can't fabricate a new iPhone locally, because they're not manufactured locally in-country ... the iPhones are imported. So in order to meet demand for the product, a supply chain network of imports from foreign sources has to be set up to supply the local market demand.

Same thing would happen (more or less) with technology differentials between worlds in a Traveller setting (it's just the scale that changes). Imported technology that is "higher" than what can be manufactured and produced locally can have a local demand but no local supply, in effect "forcing" an interstellar trade demand condition that merchant ships would then be "obliged" to meet (because there are profits to be made in doing so). Consequently, the higher the volume of interstellar trade a world engages in, the greater the opportunity for "anachrotech" to be in use and/or available on that particular low(er) tech world. Just don't expect those high tech items to be ubiquitous and in use everywhere by everyone (because, imports bottleneck in the supply chain).

And the merry-go-round just keeps on spinning ...
My extreme example of this is Nevada during the silver and gold boom. You would see luxuries hard to come by in NYC, but the silver barons could buy it in even though there was nothing but mining support/repair possible.

Money changes everything.

I would further argue that the Non-Ind trade classification indicates the world does not have the population to make indigenous tech level manufacturing support possible. Therefore its tech level is more a function of the value of its exports relative to population to buy its way to x TL.

I would further argue that the Non-Ind trade classification indicates the world does not have the population to make indigenous tech level manufacturing support possible. Therefore its tech level is more a function of the value of its exports relative to population to buy its way to x TL.
I agree.
I view the Population: 6- Non-industrialized trade code as an indicator that the mainworld has deficiencies in the diversity of its economy. Many of the Non-industrialized worlds on the sector map are going to wind up being glorified resource extraction nodes feeding the interstellar trade networks that transport raw materials to production centers specializing in the manufacture of finished goods. You then wind up with a sort of interstellar Resource Curse type of development trap that can "prevent" a mainworld from outgrowing its (functional) colony/homesteader origins and develop into its own self-sustaining world economy. The reasons for this can vary from anything involving NIMBYism all the way up to Greedy (Mega)Corporate Masters Of The Universe to even just simple xenophobia directed towards "foreigners" wanting to immigrate (we've got ours, now raise the drawbridge and lock everyone else coming behind us in our footsteps out!).

Point being that in the larger interstellar scale of things (commerce, diplomacy, military, influence, etc.) the Non-industrialized worlds are all "basically pawns" on the chessboard of interstellar trade and politics. The Non-industrialized worlds are (more or less) "dependent" upon interstellar trade and support to keep their populations going (except when interdicted, of course). Also, being a Non-industrialized world with an Amber Zone classification is going to put something of a crimp on the availability of imports (because no Major Cargoes and -DMs to all other Passenger and Cargo Freight services demands) which then has a knock on effect of stunting the growth of that specific mainworld. Doesn't make it impossible to reach Population: 7+ ... but will certainly be an impediment that makes it a higher hurdle to reach that point where there is a large enough (native) population to start diversifying the local economy towards self(ish)-sufficiency.

The planet "Old North Australia", or simply "Norstrilia", is the only planet in the Instrumentality of Mankind fictional universe which produces the precious immortality drug "stroon", which indefinitely delays aging in humans. Stroon (or the "Santaclara drug") is harvested from the huge diseased sheep the Norstrilians raise, and has resisted all attempts at artificial synthesis. Since the Norstrilians have a monopoly, stroon sells for astronomical prices, and Norstrilia is fabulously wealthy (wealthier than any other single planet). To safeguard their archaic way of life (resembling Australian ranchers with a British cultural inheritance), the Norstrilians are forced to develop the most advanced defense force and weaponry known (for example, Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons); to protect their culture, imports from other worlds are taxed at rates exceeding 20 million percent, reducing what would be a staggering fortune on another planet to humble penury on Norstrilia itself. They are also forced to cull their young in order to prevent overpopulation (only those who pass the test of the "Garden of Death" are allowed to enter adulthood).

Back