• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Tech Levels

The scale is the same, mostly, but the years corresponding to various TL's are Adjusted. See Book 2, page 27.

When I ran this (for 12 years - my longest campaign to date!:D) I used a combination of Classic and GURPS Traveller Tech Levels, since I have never liked how granular CT was with certain decades in the 20th century. I used this scale:
  • TL0 Stone Age
  • TL1 Bronze Age (3500 BCE+)
  • TL2 Iron Age (1200 BCE+)
  • TL3 Medieval (CE 600+)
  • TL4 Age of Sail (CE 1450+)
  • TL5 Industrial Revolution (CE 1730+)
  • TL6 Mechanized Age (CE 1880+)
  • TL7 Nuclear Age (CE 1940+)
  • TL8 Digital Age (CE 1980+)
  • TL9 Microtech Age (CE 2025+)
  • TL10 Interstellar Community (CE 2070+)
  • TL11 Average Imperial
  • TL12 Average Imperial
  • TL13 Above Average Imperial
  • TL14 Above Average Imperial
  • TL15 Technical Maximum Imperial
  • TL16 Beyond
You can see how creative I was with TL11+ "Era" names :). I intended to create a detailed equipment chart for each tech level, for a very technical Hero, er, "issue." It's not an issue with the system; rather, when people convert high-tech things, they generally go with "more dice = better," which leads to rolling buckets of dice at high tech levels. I wanted to avoid that for sheer logic reasons -- I feel that a flintlock musket, an AR-15, and a TL13 Gauss rifle will all kill you dead about the same level. Instead, I decided every 2 Tech Levels above a defense item that a weapon was, it got a level of "Penetrating." This is a Hero System advantage that says you must do a minimum amount of damage based on how many levels of Penetrating the attack has. So, an AR-15 is TL8, while Plate Armor is TL3-4. So, at a minimum, an AR-15 will have 2 levels of Penetrating on a suit of plate armor, and will probably still do a significant wound on the target. One of the things I love about Hero System is the flexibility to use "quality instead of quantity" to represent different advantages or limitations on a piece of equipment or whatever.

Back