• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Solomani, not just bad guys anymore

Having just come back from a weekend in the Amish area of Indiana, I am not sure you understand how little infrastructure the Amish need. As for whatever you mean by turning the colony in a different direction, people have been trying for centuries to do that to the Amish. The Amish are still here and their numbers are growing.
I was making a reference to peaceful groups leaving what they saw as an unpermissive or unacceptable government, only to have the land they settled in eventually run by others who replicated a government type not dissimilar to that their forbears left.
Yes, I haven't seen an Amish community, but I'm aware of their well-known independence and self reliance. It was not them I was specifically referencing.
The idea was that groups of people may leave the authoritarian Solomani core worlds, establish a colony, then find other colonists arrive who for one of several reasons they can't deny access to. Eventually enough Solomani supporters exist to have the colony support the Sphere. AFAIK only the English-speaking Commonwealth countries are a clear terrestrial example of this, though their original settler populations were all of a different makeup.

The Solomani Supremacy movement was an Imperial import to Solomani space.

The Imperium suffered through the Long Night, while the worlds around Terra continued to expand into polities, trade continued, new worlds were settled.

When the Third Imperium expanded towards the Solomani what they found were a collection of polities. The elitist Solomani descendants of Sylea were the ones who founded the Solomani movement and exported it to the Solomani Rim when they were granted a bit of autonomy.

The recipients seem awfully happy to adopt it.

In theory, the Out Of Africa thesis seems compatible to the Terran interstellar migration.

Travelling somewhere and seeing how others live gives a great perspective on our own society, so I agree with you on the just-the-way idea. Do you think the Solomani would carefully vet those who travel outside the sphere so that they don't bring back contaminating ideas and thoughts?

On the first point, I'd never imagined it that way, but rather as a stylised Terra.

On the second, that sort of stereotype should bother people. Given the quote above, do you think it's beyond reason to be accurate?
I think they took the East German Stasi analogy a bit too far. A little too much gestapo/stasi for my taste.

The Solomani Supremacy movement was an Imperial import to Solomani space.

The Imperium suffered through the Long Night, while the worlds around Terra continued to expand into polities, trade continued, new worlds were settled.

When the Third Imperium expanded towards the Solomani what they found were a collection of polities. The elitist Solomani descendants of Sylea were the ones who founded the Solomani movement and exported it to the Solomani Rim when they were granted a bit of autonomy.
Very good point Mike.

So that came back to bite them?
I think they took the East German Stasi analogy a bit too far. A little too much gestapo/stasi for my taste.
I think the problem becomes one of capacity for regime change in a large-enough state that's under one-party control, versus the ability of a controlling Party and its security apparatus to lock down everything in a state of social stasis. It seems the historical models only work to a certain extent in helping to understand this and simulate it, especially given the scale of what's talked about with the Solomani Confederation.

As I recall the background, following the civil war, Solomani aristocracy started losing influence to Vilani, presumably at Court.

So it would appear they were preparing the ground for secession; the problem they seem to have run into would be minority rights, and possibly the Imperium deciding a frozen conflict would be the best way to deal with the Sphere, allowing them to project power and influence into it.

The Confederation decided to roll the dice.

Human nature.

You wax nostalgic and harken back to some mythical time or events.
Who'd be nutty enough construct a whole fabrication of genetic superiority, as well as rewrite history to prove that the ethnic group favoured by the Party is superior to everyone else and should be in charge of everything?!?

Oh, hang on....

It was Imperial era Syleans of Solomani descent who invented the Solomani movement, it was not native to the Solomani Sphere it was an Imperial Import.

It began long before the Imperium.
The ruling elite of Sylea were descended from the Solomani who took over their government during the Rule of Man. Their power and influence grew during the Long Night. To be anyone of importance on Sylea pre-Imperium you had to have Solomani ancestry, the more pure the blood line the better.

Note that the Imperial distinction of major and minor races is inherently racist.

The ruling elite of Sylea were descended from the Solomani who took over their government during the Rule of Man. Their power and influence grew during the Long Night. To be anyone of importance on Sylea pre-Imperium you had to have Solomani ancestry, the more pure the blood line the better.

Note that the Imperial distinction of major and minor races is inherently racist.
So was that connection between the who’s-who in Imperial government broken as a result of the Solomano Rim wars?

The Civil War seems to have broken the Solomani aristocracy's near monopoly.

Essentially, the descendants of the Juneflower that landed on Sylea Rock.

So was that connection between the who’s-who in Imperial government broken as a result of the Solomano Rim wars?
No, it was not long after the civil war:
The movement reached its first peak immediately after the
Civil War (604 t o 622). Solomani completely dominated the inner
circles of Empress Arbellatra's court and predominated in
the upper ranks of the Imperial Navy.
When Zhakirov succeeded Arbellatra in 666, the movement
began losing favor. The final break came in 679: Zhakirov married
Antiama Shiishuginsa, whose family controlled Zirunkariish,
the powerful Vilani rnegacorporation. Previous emperors had
been Solomani; Zhakirov's marriage ensured that future
emperors would be of mixed Vilani-Solomani blood. The marriage
cemented an alliance between the Imperial Throne and
Vilani industry and added greatly to the stability of the lmperium
when stability was an elusive quantity. The alliance, however,
alienated believers in the Solomani Cause, which from this point
forward took on an increasingly anti-Imperial tone.

The Civil War seems to have broken the Solomani aristocracy's near monopoly.

Essentially, the descendants of the Juneflower that landed on Sylea Rock.

Nevertheless it is interesting that the expansionist period of the early 3I was dominated by the Lentuli line of Emperors who are noted for their longevity due to their Vilani ancestry. Of course with the advent of T5 and some of Marc's musings in the Moot from several years ago, perhaps this was actually just the public facade for a line of Emperors employing relict-cloning to extend their existence.

I can't speak to the longevity of Terrans, or attempts at prolongation.

But you usually don't develop ideologies unless you feel threatened, and it seems this may have started pre Civil War.

Back