• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller HERO

DonM

Marquis
Just an announcement to let folks know that discussions are ongoing for errata support for Traveller HERO as well as a conversion to HERO 6E.

I'm posting this to gauge a basic interest...

I forget - what edition are the current HERO-Trav rules for? I only have the base rules for 2nd and 4th.

I've been thinking about looking for HERO-Trav stuff, but I don't want to have to buy another set of basic rules (I only got the 4E book about 5 years ago, I've had the 2E rules since 1984).

I forget - what edition are the current HERO-Trav rules for? I only have the base rules for 2nd and 4th.

I've been thinking about looking for HERO-Trav stuff, but I don't want to have to buy another set of basic rules (I only got the 4E book about 5 years ago, I've had the 2E rules since 1984).

The HeroTraveller rules are for 5E Revised (5ER) ... but that's not a problem because...

4E, 5E, & 5ER are 99.9% inter-compatible. Minor differences in martial arts and some minor changes to VPP's, EC's, and some limitations and advantages. Nothing that would make a 4e or 5e supplement incompatible with the other.

6E is a bit further afield. No figured attributes. Simplifications in a few other places. I got off the bus with 5ER. Haven't played since 5E came out.

OK - so no 6E for me and yes to a compiled errata for the existing HERO-Trav material (or separate errata for each "book").

I notice that Traveller HERO is tagged as canonical on the wiki. Are there any useful background information about the Third Imperium setting to be gleaned from the books?

In Traveller HERO Book 1 I'm especially intrigued about the touted information on

* Several different types of campaigns to choose from with Traveller Hero including military, espionage, mercantile trading and many more!
* Information about a multitude of Traveller races, including how to create and play characters of virtually every race within Traveller!​

In Traveller HERO Book 2 I'm wondering about the information on

* History of the Traveller universe
* Religion and philosophies of many of the Traveller races
* The criminal underworld
But any information that is new would be of interest.

Hans

Does anyone know where I can get copies of these,either print or PDFs?

Legally? No PDF available at present. I don't know if they ever saw dead tree, but if they did, Noble Knight games is a likely place to find them.

So if they're pdf only, why don't they have them up at drive through or something? Is there a licensing thing?

Actually, this is the FFE project Marc handed me just before Christmas, and it's now on top of my stack right after Winter War (which ended yesterday).

IF all goes well, what is planned is for a CD to be sold by FFE of the original Traveller HERO materials released by Comstar, along with any errata (so far none), and conversion notes to make the materials compatible with HERO6/Champions Complete.

No dates yet, the next step is getting everyone to agree on what should be on that CD.

Marc, Kevin Walsh and myself actually met at Winter War (game cons are great) and so we're in sync, but we do need to nail down the FFE/Comstar agreements. I've already got all but signatures on the FFE/HERO agreements, so I just need to deal with this after I get my son to the airport today, and get past my father-in-law's heart cath tomorrow.

Since HERO is my wife's primary RPG, and since Traveller HERO is the easy way I can get her to play HERO, this one's very personal :rofl:

And I'll start using this thread (and the parallel one on the HERO Games forums) to note progress.

What I really need is a day to recover from Winter War, a day to get the son back to DC from central Illinois, and a day to focus completely on my wife (because of her Dad's heart cath, and when she thinks about it, she remembers my open heart surgery, etc...), and THEN Traveller HERO.

Sigh. I need an eighth day in a week.

We're working to agree on what will be part of the release. We have three different lists of files.

That's what would be best for posterity (and for those of us who would like to get our hands on the material and actually use it). Here's hoping...

That's what would be best for posterity (and for those of us who would like to get our hands on the material and actually use it). Here's hoping...

I concur.

The problem is probably not at FFE's end...

I've sent the product names, files and page numbers for confirmation. In the meantime...

This is going to happen.

In the meantime, I've started work on the 6th edition HERO conversions.

If anyone is interested in assisting and knows 6th edition Hero, drop me a private message or e-mail me at don.mckinney@gmail.com.

We envision a document much like the errata documents...

Back